LG 2024 OLED TVs Will Support Refresh Rates of Up to 144 Hz

Letter - roughly tier, higher letter is more features
Number - year of release, that wrapped back around to X for 2020, and they are about to roll back around so I don’t know what they will do then

One Odd note. The LG C2 42 inch is more expensive than the C3. Perhaps a reputation of use?

Can someone explain LG model nr's for me as I don't see a C2 or C3 model anywhere.

So LG grades it's OLED TV's into thee grades. C, G and M.

C is the lowest cost (bit still not cheap). M is the most expensive. G falls somewhere in the middle.

All of them are available in a range of sizes, but the smallest panel (42") is only available as a C model. At least the last time I checked. That - IMHO - is the only one that is small enough for monitor use. (unless you want to buy a huge one and mount it on the wall across the room.)

As you climb the model range you get more and better features. One of the most notable is increased peak brightness, but there are all sorts of things. More than I care to go into here.

At least to my eyes though, while there is technically an improvement going up in model, it is somewhat subtle, especially in dark room viewing. If your room sees direct sunlight during use you'd definitely want to consider a higher end, brighter model (and maybe consider a different display technology than OLED all together)

OLED's are absolutely amazing, and IMHO the best experience you are going to get right now, but they don't compete with sunlight well. G's and M's do so better than C's though. This is definitely the kind of TV you stick in your dark man cave / home theater, not in your bright, sunny living room.

The number after the C, G or M is just the year model.

G2 is a 2022 G series LG OLED

An M3 is a 2023 M series LG OLED

A CX is a 2020 C series LG OLED.

So when I say I use a 42" C3, it means mine is the entry level C series, and a 2023 year model.

And the year models matter, as panels improve over time.

C2's and C3's were fairly similar, but compared to C1's and earlier they both have significantly improved burn-in resistance.

Per this news story, the C4 will reportedly be much like the C3 and C2, but with 24 more Hz.

This should be sufficient info to get you started on googling comparisons and finding the right model for you. (But for desktop use, I bet it will be either the latest 42" C model, or an earlier 42" C model if you can get a better deal on one)

so the LG OLED48C34LA we got my parents for their 50th anniversary would be a C3 with some additional numbers a,nd letters added to it?

Starting to make sence now.

so the LG OLED48C34LA we got my parents for their 50th anniversary would be a C3 with some additional numbers a,nd letters added to it?

Yep. the short hand C2, G3, M3 etc. names are just short hand. They are not the full part number.

I don't have a perfect picture of how they translate into LG's part numbers, but anywhere you'd buy a TV, they use the shorthand in the main title (and probably list the part number in the spec sheet)

Amazon, Newegg, Crutchfield, B&H, Best Buy, you name it. Heck, even LG's own webpage lists them by the short hand name:

1701288228608.png

I have not heard about any differences within a given series and size. From what I am aware, a 42" C3 is a 42" C3, and a 77" G3 is a 77" G3.

Any differences in part number are probably just different region specs, like 120v vs 230v, and firmware differences for local regulatory purposes, etc. At least that is my guess.

In TV sales in the past there have been shenanigans where the likes of Black Fridays specials and discount store/price club models have a slightly different part number, but otherwise look mostly or even exactly the same, except they are cost reduced in some way. I haven't heard of any shenanigans like this with LG OLED's, but then again, I don't hear everything, so...

C is the lowest cost (bit still not cheap). M is the most expensive. G falls somewhere in the middle.
There's an A and B series as well, which would be the lowest tiers. I think the "M" stands for money. 💲

Yeah, it's a 48" C3. I don't have a built-in decoder for the characters that follow "OLED48C3", but the model you referenced takes me to LG's UK site. The complete model number of a given size may also vary depending on the retailer. Here in the U.S., the C3 units sold by Costco are slightly different than those from Best Buy, for example.

Last edited:
Unrelated, about a month ago a friend of mine grabbed a 77" C2 from Costco for $1500! Since the C3 had been on sale for months already, Costco was getting rid of all C2 stock.

I have friends that have CXes, C1s, C2s, and C3s. Gaaaawd I love me some LG OLEDs. One day I will join all y'allz who get to experience such amazing visual quality and splendor on a daily basis.

I got it from a Belgian/Dutch retail company, I tend to stay pretty local to all things that might have regional diffrences.
Yep, regional stuff always makes it fun to cross reference any kind of tech stuff. With enough searching you can eventually find it on a manufacturer page somewhere but occasionally sometimes a reddit post or some such ends up being the answer.

Anyone know the sub pixel for the Odyssey Arc 2? Or other particulars about it?

Anyone know the sub pixel for the Odyssey Arc 2? Or other particulars about it?

The Rtings review says it is BGR.

They have a section on text clarity too.

I have friends that have CXes, C1s, C2s, and C3s. Gaaaawd I love me some LG OLEDs. One day I will join all y'allz who get to experience such amazing visual quality and splendor on a daily basis.
I have two CX's here and a C2 and they have been great with zero burn in. Right now I have the 48" CX and the 42" C2 on my desk with the C2 as my monitor.
780T Desk.jpg

I have two CX's here and a C2 and they have been great with zero burn in. Right now I have the 48" CX and the 42" C2 on my desk with the C2 as my monitor.
View attachment 2810
Yep, I've gone off the deep end ever since we got our C9 on a BF deal back in the day. Now we have that, the 42" C2, and replaced a crapola Hi-Sense that died over the summer with a 65" C3 but I'll never get over that 1st wow experience when we got the C9. It basically ruined my expectations for other displays afterward.

I haven't looked into the A and R models but I know from when I was researching 65" models that the B versions often have a lower Nit rating.

I haven't looked into the A and R models but I know from when I was researching 65" models that the B versions often have a lower Nit rating.
Yup. The letters go roughly in order in terms of capability and performance. So A is the extreme budget (although I believe most of the production is run on C models which is why you can find fantastic sales on them at times)

It used to be they all had the same screen and just different controllers - but now there are at least two screens since G has the EVO screen with MLA. I think A B and C all still have the same panel, just A and B are locked to 60Hz and may be locked to lower brightness levels. A and B have a different processor that isn’t as capable.

Become a Patron!
Back