AMD Prepping Radeon RX 5950 XT, RX 5950, RX 5900, and RX 5800 XT, according to EEC Filings

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Did an AMD board partner reveal RTG's upcoming round of higher-performance Radeon GPUs? Hong Kong- and Taiwan-based manufacturer AFOX has submitted multiple SKUs to the Eurasian Economic Commission's (EEC) website, and the filing includes four particularly interesting entries: the Radeon RX 5950 XT, RX 5950, RX 5900, and RX 5800 XT.

Before Radeon fans get too excited, there's the possibility that these entries are just placeholders. As mentioned by VideoCardz, SAPPHIRE submitted a similar lineup to the EEC back in June 2019, and the nature of that list suggested that SAPPHIRE was merely being thorough with its trademark registrations (obviously, AMD didn't launch anything more powerful than the RX 5700 XT last year, either).

AMD is undoubtedly prepping a new group of high-performance cards that can tackle NVIDIA's upper echelon, however, so SKUs like the Radeon RX 5800 XT seem inevitable. The real question is whether or not these GPUs will represent "Big Navi." These could ultimately be released as RX 6000 cards, or as a new series entirely (e.g., RX Vega, R9 Fury).

The wait for "Big Navi" may not be that far off. During CES 2020, AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su spoke of Radeon fans' yearning for a high-end Navi part and how important that market is to the company.

I really want amd to release a max tier video card that out performs nvidia with rt baked in. It would be bonkers if amd could beat nvidia at non rt framerates while having rt running as well.

I'm hoping they give their max tier GPU a cool name that rivals 'THREADRIPPER' in metal-ness.

Perhaps the 'FURIOUS 5950 XT'.

Always want the best of what I can afford for my rigs. Been blue and green for over a decade. If NV could make a top tier card that doesn't require a 2nd mortgage then I'd be happy to stick with 'em next round but AMD can match for a better price then I'm more than happy to make my new rig all red. I'm still walking a little funny from when I got my 2080TI but it has been a beast though.

Here's a thought. Nvidia buys AMD. What do you think?

Interesting thought.

nV has about $10B in available cash (and could raise additional cash via shares).

AMD is worth around $54B right now, but as recent as 2016 was hovering at just over $2B.

So just looking at feasibility - I don’t think it could be done.

But let’s pretend the cash wasn’t an issue...

Would there be an anti-trust issue? You could make the case, but I think the Financial world would not consider it that way, as Intel and Qualcomm and Imagination (and others) all provide some level of competition as well in the graphics space.

Would nV get access to AMDs x86 license? This is a big question, and honestly would be the only legit reason I could think of for nV to pursue a buyout. I don’t know enough at the licensing agreement to know if it would survive a sale or transfer.

Would nV use ATI tech? There may be a few patents they would like to have access to, but by and large I don’t think nV gains too much from AMDs GPU portfolio.

Honestly - as much as I like AMD, they are not positioned terribly well. A large portion of their current valuation is a hedge on them being able to make waves in Datacenter and capture a meaningful market share there. That is still a big “if” - after all, there are still companies out there buying IBM because it’s the safe bet, and Intel has been the dominant safe bet for a really long time. So not only are you betting on AMD to do well, you have to make the bet that the market continues to grow, that the growth is sustainable, and that AMDs performance advantage is sustainable, and that the Intel Juggernaut isn’t able to come back and regain parity (let alone reestablish an advantage). That’s a lot of bets that need to line up.

Interesting thought.

nV has about $10B in available cash (and could raise additional cash via shares).

AMD is worth around $54B right now, but as recent as 2016 was hovering at just over $2B.

So just looking at feasibility - I don’t think it could be done.

But let’s pretend the cash wasn’t an issue...

Would there be an anti-trust issue? You could make the case, but I think the Financial world would not consider it that way, as Intel and Qualcomm and Imagination (and others) all provide some level of competition as well in the graphics space.

Would nV get access to AMDs x86 license? This is a big question, and honestly would be the only legit reason I could think of for nV to pursue a buyout. I don’t know enough at the licensing agreement to know if it would survive a sale or transfer.

Would nV use ATI tech? There may be a few patents they would like to have access to, but by and large I don’t think nV gains too much from AMDs GPU portfolio.

Honestly - as much as I like AMD, they are not positioned terribly well. A large portion of their current valuation is a hedge on them being able to make waves in Datacenter and capture a meaningful market share there. That is still a big “if” - after all, there are still companies out there buying IBM because it’s the safe bet, and Intel has been the dominant safe bet for a really long time. So not only are you betting on AMD to do well, you have to make the bet that the market continues to grow, that the growth is sustainable, and that AMDs performance advantage is sustainable, and that the Intel Juggernaut isn’t able to come back and regain parity (let alone reestablish an advantage). That’s a lot of bets that need to line up.

Oh yea I agree in large part. But remember the juggernaut of Business computing was Xerox, then it was IBM, now it's ostinsibly Intel, but really it's the x86 platform. And don't forget all of the smaller ASIC processors out there. Not to mention the portable communications processors and such that are more and more intruding into GPU and CPU space.

I don't think we have a CPU market as completely dominated as one would think. You can define a Niche where Intel is king and right now that is Server rooms of larger corporations. But even they are waking up.

Intel needs to focus on per core performance and make SUPER FAST low core count CPU's for Database servers. Why? Because thy are licensed by core today. that will see them win in that space.

AMD has the lead on multiple threads and power consumption metrics today let them keep that.

Don't count out RISC systems by IBM and others. But those are more focused almost like an ASIC processor these days. It makes sense to buy these RISC CPU's for things that give you the bang for the buck on licensing. Like running DB2 on AIX systems.

Here's a thought. Nvidia buys AMD. What do you think?
No.
Nvidia is not a doesn't do synergy... They been a destructive take over type company, so far, in my understanding.
If they did, they would take whatever they can use off of radeon, and kill everything else.. I would expect x86 to get pretty much frozen, and used as an add on to their video cards and AI stuff.
It would be a complete disaster for the market. Intel will be happy as a pig is slob though.

Now AMD taking over Nvidia... That would be disaster for Intel... Yes I know AMD can't take over Nvidia.

Always want the best of what I can afford for my rigs. Been blue and green for over a decade. If NV could make a top tier card that doesn't require a 2nd mortgage then I'd be happy to stick with 'em next round but AMD can match for a better price then I'm more than happy to make my new rig all red. I'm still walking a little funny from when I got my 2080TI but it has been a beast though.
I could never stomach the price for the 2080ti. No doubt its fast but that price should be for the Titans.
I get it, they can do it so they will but that does not mean I have to sit here and accept or like it.
Also like you I will switch to whichever team provides me frames and Resolutions I desire. Be it red or green but I am really looking hard at team red right now. Give me a solid reason to ditch this Titan X Pascal.

Become a Patron!
Back