AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 Video Card Review

You're not serious are you? Those are compiled by some dude and only specifically to one German retailer. Here's an overall metric that is far more meaningful: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/ I'll give it another 3 month lag for Ryzen 2 but I don't predict it to move more than 0.5% in AMDs favor. Fact of the matter is, in overall ecosystem, Intel is far easier to deal with for both consumers and datacenter customers. Plus Intel marketing and mindshare is like NVIDIA and near impossible to break. So that doesn't mean Ryzen 2 isn't a great product because it is and deserves marketshare but in the real world it just won't happen.

I am quite serious. And it's not "some dude", as you say. Steam is not a valid metric point for this determination. Gamers are a very small portion of the overall market. PC gamers and home builders don't bring the big profits to AMD and Intel. That territory belongs to OEM sales via Dell, HP, etc...
You mention datacenter customers, yet AMD is taking win after win for HPC.

I am quite serious. And it's not "some dude", as you say. Steam is not a valid metric point for this determination. Gamers are a very small portion of the overall market. PC gamers and home builders don't bring the big profits to AMD and Intel. That territory belongs to OEM sales via Dell, HP, etc...
You mention datacenter customers, yet AMD is taking win after win for HPC.

So mindfactory in just one country is more representative than Steam's millions of users? Yeah ok dude keep the dream alive. Here's an actual industry source for servers as of Nov 2018: https://press.trendforce.com/press/20181128-3184.html

As of Q1 2019 this is AMD's report on their marketshare via Mercury Research:
AMD-MarketShare-Q12019-640x232.png

x86 Server: 2.9% unit share, you think that's going to significantly change from now to 2021? Maybe by a few % at most in AMDs favor. Even their overall x86 share is not good at all considering how long Ryzen has been out. Like I said, real sources still peg Intel by far and away the leader and once they're able to sort their **** out, they'll be fine and remain at the top while AMD takes the crumbs like usual.

Last edited:
sooo ... are there really any differences between any of the brands and their respective reference design cards?

ie .. Sapphire RX 5700 is going to perform exactly as an ASUS RX 5700...?

So mindfactory in just one country is more representative than Steam's millions of users? Yeah ok dude keep the dream alive. Here's an actual industry source for servers as of Nov 2018: https://press.trendforce.com/press/20181128-3184.html

x86 Server: 2.9% unit share, you think that's going to significantly change from now to 2021? Maybe by a few % at most in AMDs favor. Even their overall x86 share is not good at all considering how long Ryzen has been out. Like I said, real sources still peg Intel by far and away the leader and once they're able to sort their **** out, they'll be fine and remain at the top while AMD takes the crumbs like usual.

You're failing to recognize the difference between market share, and sales.

Those numbers aren't correct but you keep being you man.

I wonder if anybody is going to try and flash the 5700's with an XT bios

I'm still clinging to the idea that one day multi-GPU technology will allow these things to scale in hardware in a way that makes them API and application agnostic like 3DFX's original SLI technology did. That was pure hardware and it wasn't dependent on game developers or API's to add support for it in games.

It sort of baffles me that this hasn't been done already. Software has been getting more parallelism over the years and we've seen scaling applied to other computer related technologies. It seems like doing multi-GPU in hardware would be something AMD and NVIDIA would not only be all over, but would have accomplished years ago. Specifically talking about AMD and chiplet technology, I'm hoping to see some form of high end Navi cards that do just that. Perhaps using Infinity Fabric to make it happen. It would guarantee that enthusiasts such as myself would be buying two or more GPUs instead of one.

It would also allow AMD to compete on the high end if they can't have the fastest single GPU. AMD wouldn't need to if they could make the **** things scale in hardware. Then they could just add more and more of them to a card or system to create the fastest gaming systems.

I'm still clinging to the idea that one day multi-GPU technology will allow these things to scale in hardware in a way that makes them API and application agnostic like 3DFX's original SLI technology did. That was pure hardware and it wasn't dependent on game developers or API's to add support for it in games.

It sort of baffles me that this hasn't been done already. Software has been getting more parallelism over the years and we've seen scaling applied to other computer related technologies. It seems like doing multi-GPU in hardware would be something AMD and NVIDIA would not only be all over, but would have accomplished years ago. Specifically talking about AMD and chiplet technology, I'm hoping to see some form of high end Navi cards that do just that. Perhaps using Infinity Fabric to make it happen. It would guarantee that enthusiasts such as myself would be buying two or more GPUs instead of one.

It would also allow AMD to compete on the high end if they can't have the fastest single GPU. AMD wouldn't need to if they could make the **** things scale in hardware. Then they could just add more and more of them to a card or system to create the fastest gaming systems.

This is an interesting thought.
I am extremely curious on this subject as well. I hadn't considered rolling the whole thing to hardware and be done with it.

My RX 5700 will be here Thursday

Any thoughts on adding a backplate to these cards?

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vector-radeon-rx-5700-xt-backplate-black

It says it aids in cooling for the backside of the voltage regulation module (VRM)

The guy is telling you that to sell you a backplate.
The backplate is nearly 100% cosmetic.
I usually buy them for my builds with waterblocks because the backside is the only part visible and the naked back is ugly.
If a backplate was necessary for the GPU to run properly, they would come with one.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but if you don't have an EK waterblock on the front side, I'm not even sure the backplate will attach.

I tell you what. I'm going to get an XT card and place an EKWB with a backplate.
Shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to give you the backplate from the XT for a small fee and shipping.
It should fit without an issue, but of course we'll check it out before I take any money.

I'm pretty sure the original backplate should attach without issue, at least I don't remember jayz2cents commenting about issues attaching the plate (in his 5700 xt watercooled video).

I'm pretty sure the original backplate should attach without issue, at least I don't remember jayz2cents commenting about issues attaching the plate (in his 5700 xt watercooled video).

I get what you are saying.
BUT
In my experience, using Heatkiller and EKWB products, the backplates they offer fit the GPU AFTER their respective waterblocks
have been installed. In otherwords, I dont think the EK backplate will fit on the card if you keep the stock aircooler on the GPU.

I'd shoot an Email to EK and ask before I spent 35 bucks + shipping.

Direct from the EK website install manual for the backplate:

" This product is anticipated to be used exclusively with EK-Vector Radeon RX 5700 GPU blocks and has not been tested with any factory or aftermarket heatsinks and water blocks. EK does not provide any assistance or support in the latter application. "

"EK-Vector Radeon RX5700 + XT Backplate is very simple to install. First complete the installation of your EK-Vector Radeon RX5700 Water Block according to its installation manual. Using the Phillips head screwdriver remove the 6 screws and their PVC washers which are marked below. "

I had to read that a couple times to get it.....
But you bet your *** I,d be on that like a duck on a June bug.

I had to read that a couple times to get it.....
But you bet your *** I,d be on that like a duck on a June bug.

All I am talking about is making it work on a hardware level so that drivers, DX12, and game engines have nothing to do with it. The original Scan Line Interleave technology from the 3DFX days just worked. There was no driver for it. You just cabled the two cards together and they handled the rest. If done in hardware, you would always see nearly perfect scaling and there wouldn't be SLI profiles or anything like that.

All I am talking about is making it work on a hardware level so that drivers, DX12, and game engines have nothing to do with it. The original Scan Line Interleave technology from the 3DFX days just worked. There was no driver for it. You just cabled the two cards together and they handled the rest. If done in hardware, you would always see nearly perfect scaling and there wouldn't be SLI profiles or anything like that.

So, what changed?

Become a Patron!
Back