AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Video Card Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner-3.png

Introduction

Let’s travel not too far back to November of 2020.  It was mid-November 2020 AMD finally let the cloth fly and all the benchmarks on its new AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and Radeon RX 6800 video cards were published.  This was the official launch and release of AMD’s next-generation Radeon RX 6000 series based on its new RDNA2 architecture.  A lot of people liked to call this “Big NAVI” so you may recognize it by that name. 

The Radeon RX 6000 series was always meant to be a complete lineup of video cards based on RDNA2.  This followed with the launch of the Radeon RX 6900 XT the next month in December 2020.  Until now, those are the three AMD Radeon RX 6000 series video cards that have existed, and they are all high-end cards. 

The AMD Radeon...

Continue reading...

Excellent review as always Brent!

With regards to what this card competes against, I can't make that distinction right now until I see AIB solutions out there for this model. MSRP is one thing, and if we are ONLY dealing with MSRP right now, then I would say it compares against the 3070 FE's MSRP @ $499. This card's MSRP is $479. I'd call that a close enough margin to place the 2 square against each other.

Now let's enter today's current "Bizzaro" world we're dealing with card prices (even without scalping) that are through the roof! Let's see where this card truly lands with respects to price and then THAT'S the comparison we should be making with respects to a nVidia counterpart.

I dont think you can justify $500 gpu's that cant RT these days. I know I can't.

So meh, to say the least.

Depending on when prices get back to normal, and stock, this doesn't appear to be a bad card.

MSRP is one thing, and if we are ONLY dealing with MSRP right now, then I would say it compares against the 3070 FE's MSRP @ $499. This card's MSRP is $479. I'd call that a close enough margin to place the 2 square against each other.
I’d agree with this. Benchmarks and specs on paper, it’s a good matchup for the 3060 Ti and (outside of RT) tends to win bigger than it loses at that spot.

But at MSRP, it’s $80 higher than the 60, and only $20 lower than the 70 — with performance that can sometimes get close but never quite match it, I’d take the 70 every time.

Of course, nothing is in stock except ScalpBay, and whatever prices do there will be interesting to watch - but no way I’m shopping in that market. The prices at MSRP are already out of whack in my opinion, but that’s me shouting from my rocking chair and it’s clear the tech world has moved far away from what I had become accustomed to.

For the price, I expected the RX6700 to trade blows with the RTX3070, not the 3060Ti. Specially given how the RX6800 stands.
I guess there is still room for a 6700XT, with a price break on the 6700 that would realign things... but until inventory stabilizes i don’t think we will see that

Awesome review Brent!!!!!

I’d agree with this. Benchmarks and specs on paper, it’s a good matchup for the 3060 Ti and (outside of RT) tends to win bigger than it loses at that spot.

But at MSRP, it’s $80 higher than the 60, and only $20 lower than the 70 — with performance that can sometimes get close but never quite match it, I’d take the 70 every time.

Of course, nothing is in stock except ScalpBay, and whatever prices do there will be interesting to watch - but no way I’m shopping in that market. The prices at MSRP are already out of whack in my opinion, but that’s me shouting from my rocking chair and it’s clear the tech world has moved far away from what I had become accustomed to.

Yeppers, I agree with this Brian!

My gut feel on pricing for this one is that it'd be closer to a ~$399 priced card if supply of all other cards in the red/green stacks was adequate and in the ballpark of their respective MSRPs. Given that anything faster than a GT710 is selling like hotcakes, I'm sure these will be just as sold out as everything else until this craze reaches its end... then you'll see a price cut.

My gut feel on pricing for this one is that it'd be closer to a ~$399 priced card if supply of all other cards in the red/green stacks was adequate and in the ballpark of their respective MSRPs. Given that anything faster than a GT710 is selling like hotcakes, I'm sure these will be just as sold out as everything else until this craze reaches its end... then you'll see a price cut.
It sucks being a consumer in this market... but we've seen how the market suffers when AMD is 'poor', and with a business background myself, it's hard to fault them for raising prices and raking in what they can, when they can.

The rest of us are just going to have to wait, unfortunately, and my main worry there isn't the lack of hardware progress, but the lack of market penetration to justify the addition of advanced hardware support in games!

Yeah, no way any of those $800 variants are worth that kind of price, but that still seems to be less than where 3070s are when you see one for sale, and there is no doubt all the 6700XTs will be entirely sold out today.

So that's really what this is all about competition wise. MSRP is meaningless, so if the actual price settles in about $100 less than the 3070, then it competes against the 3060ti. If actual price lands about the same as the 3070, then it competes against the 3070.

I can see some cards in stock over here, 849€ for the cheapest one while AMD sells them for 479 € ( no wonder they are out of stock there)

My local Microcenter (Dallas) has the Sapphire for $479

I don't think this would be an upgrade from my 1080ti (more like a side-grade) so I am going to pass.

Oh my lord... Are you kidding me??? These are NOT scalper prices, but actual RETAIL prices for this card:
View attachment 948
Well I did see a few two-fan versions running for the $479. Triple fans seem to all be that price and oddly enough that Gaming X but the gaming X is a bit of MSI's premium side of things.

Become a Patron!
Back