AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Matches NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 in Cyberpunk 2077 and Metro Exodus 4K Benchmarks, Comes Close in Watch Dogs: Legion

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Early benchmarks for the Radeon RX 7900 XTX derived from AMD's own numbers have been shared online, teasing the potential performance of AMD's flagship RDNA 3 gaming graphics card ahead of official reviews.

See full article...

Couple other YT'ers have done this as well. And, if we can take AMD's numbers at face value, it looks to be a very powerful card.

We'll see Dec 13.

I'm curious, to say the least. I've been wanting to try another AMD card again. My last was an ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO that I got for my old Pentium 4 (Prescot 3.4 GHz) build. It was the last card I put in that rig and it did quite well for 1080p gaming at the time, a 2007 BB black Friday deal. I've still got that rig in a closet as it was the first that I mostly maxed out all the hardware with for its time. That ATI card also allowed some DX10 features even though it was running XP SP3.

If this pans out as good as it's looking now, and someone makes an AIO version, and the price is right, I may end up getting one.

Nah.

Way too many people won't even consider anything other than nVidia. nVidia marketing has some sort of brainwashing or mind control in it.
Not so much that as I have had many issues with ATI/AMD cards over the years, that makes me not want to try them again.

I'm looking forward to the new GPU's. My quarterly bonus in 2 weeks is going straight to me savings account and should cover an XTX variant.

Now I need to start looking for a better monitor :) Samsung Odyssey or the 8k geo g9 perhaps? A new monitor will probably cost more than the gpu.

I'm looking forward to the new GPU's. My quarterly bonus in 2 weeks is going straight to me savings account and should cover an XTX variant.

Now I need to start looking for a better monitor :) Samsung Odyssey or the 8k geo g9 perhaps? A new monitor will probably cost more than the gpu.
I'd recommend holding off on any new Samsung monitors until they have gone through extensive testing

A lot of their high-end monitors have had issues

Way too many people won't even consider anything other than nVidia. nVidia marketing has some sort of brainwashing or mind control in it.
Consider?

Every time.

End up buying? Eh, maybe one out of three?

Radeon GPUs have had their 'issues' over the years that have limited their utility. I hate to bring up driver issues, but that's always an ongoing question because it's always a moving target. Odd performance issues over the decades have cropped up and been addressed, and every time they iterate on their architecture we have to ask, "what did they break this time?".

Then there's major feature support, currently for things like RT and intelligent upsampling. There's no question that AMD RT + FSR isn't in the same league as Nvidia RT + DLSS2.0+. Not bad in it's own right, but still a step behind.

Finally, support for every other feature on their GPUs, the video transcoding block being the most visible. RDNA 2 apparently has a perfectly competitive transcoding block that is natively supported by... almost no software. And a big part of that is lack of integration support from AMD themselves, from OBS to Plex to Adobe Premiere. People have been looking to Intel as the best alternative here simply due to software support!

On balance, not everyone wants or needs their GPU to do much beyond rasterization in games. And at the same time, AMD is clearly listening and clearly working hard to bridge their capability and integration gaps, and apparently mentioned things like OBS and Premiere in their RDNA3 reveal conference. And that's music to my ears!

I'll also say that I picked up an RX6800 to help keep my own perspective in check. It's temporarily serving in the ATX case review rig, but once I get a suitable replacement for it, it'll be back to work alongside a 5800X3D in my ITX gaming rig. My goal is to play as many of my regular games as well as new games on it and to compare the experience against my 12700K / 3080 12GB desktop rig as I can.

Yeah, the mentioned OBS support for AV1 will be YUGE. I single PC stream and NVENC works really good. I'm interested to see how AV1 performs. And I hope reviewers of these cards do a side-by-side against NVENC.

I'd recommend holding off on any new Samsung monitors until they have gone through extensive testing

A lot of their high-end monitors have had issues

Yeah, ever since the CRG9 launched I read numerous complaints about the UW models that succeeded it. I was excited about the 2000 nits model until I read customer reviews for it. I think Samsung realized they found a huge new market in 32:9 but need to slow down a bit with continually pushing out new models so quickly. Seems like there's a new one announced about every 3-6 months and now we're already up to that ridiculous 8K UW one.

I'll also say that I picked up an RX6800 to help keep my own perspective in check. It's temporarily serving in the ATX case review rig, but once I get a suitable replacement for it, it'll be back to work alongside a 5800X3D in my ITX gaming rig. My goal is to play as many of my regular games as well as new games on it and to compare the experience against my 12700K / 3080 12GB desktop rig as I can.
Can't wait to hear how that goes!

I bought a 5700XT a while back for my gaming rig. Left a bad taste in my mouth and I ended up swapping it out for a 3070 Ti at the time. The video drivers would literally crash at least once a week, though usually anytime I would be playing a game I'd have to restart the game because the GPU drivers would crash, crashing the game forcing me to reload it.

I've yet to have that issue since I put a 3070 Ti in that rig, no other changes.

Now I'm on a new rig with a 3090, no issues here either.

I really want to like and support AMD GPUs, but if it doesn't give me the experience I want then I'm going to avoid them.

I really want to like and support AMD GPUs, but if it doesn't give me the experience I want then I'm going to avoid them.
I had more problems with a GTX980 than I did any Radeon card. We can all find isolated examples. I will also admit that AMD has, on the whole, "lesser" AIB partners than nVidia - it's easier to find a shady AMD card than nVidia card. I do blame AMD on that for not having better QA controls.

But in recent years, I've had rigs in my house with AMD cards .. going back just a bit 470, 580, a 5700 now. All of them were rock solid, the last 2 are still running fine.

Consider?

Every time.
Not speaking about you, or anyone here, specifically - we all know there are the diehards out there that don't even look past the brand.

I bought a 5700XT a while back for my gaming rig. Left a bad taste in my mouth and I ended up swapping it out for a 3070 Ti at the time.
Dang, that's unfortunate. I know 4 people that have been using 5700 XTs since 2019 and none of them have had any issues so far. Almost ended up with a 5700 XT myself before I happened upon a brand-new 1080 Ti for a similar price.

Become a Patron!
Back