AMD Ryzen 7000X3D Architecture Preview

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction Last week at CES, AMD announced their Ryzen 7000X3D series CPUs that encompassed three CPUs, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D, the Ryzen 9 7900X3D and the Ryzen 9 7950X3D. Many of us expected the 7800X3D to arrive as a successor to the 5800X3D, thus making the 12 and 16 core counterparts a nice surprise. Model […]

See full article...

Nice read interesting that AMD stated they will be handling thread assignments. Does this mean we will be getting regular driver updates for the CPU's with game releases like we do with the video cards?

The clock told me it was beer-thirty...

My clock always reads that. LOL

I am sadden by AMD's direction with the X3D parts though. I was holding out on getting a 7950X to see if they were going to make a 7950X3D part and get it instead, but it seems for what I mostly use my CPUs for the 7950X3D will be slower than the 7950X. Even with the added cache on half the CCDs I think the 7950X will still out perform the 7950X3D in 99% of the use cases I use the CPU for.

I am sadden by AMD's direction with the X3D parts though. I was holding out on getting a 7950X to see if they were going to make a 7950X3D part and get it instead, but it seems for what I mostly use my CPUs for the 7950X3D will be slower than the 7950X. Even with the added cache on half the CCDs I think the 7950X will still out perform the 7950X3D in 99% of the use cases I use the CPU for.
Waiting to see some reviews before I cast any judgement, but yeah, it sounds like what you say may end up being the case.

Waiting to see some reviews before I cast any judgement, but yeah, it sounds like what you say may end up being the case.

I raised that specific scenario with Scott and he confirmed that's what to expect. If your application performs better on frequency/less cache, then an all core load on the 7950X3D will be slower than the 7950X. The CCD mix that they've selected is a way of giving gamers the "best of both worlds" at what will hopefully be a reasonable trade off. We'll certainly compare the numbers to see the differential - the 120W power limit is a constraint even on the non-3D cores....

Nice read interesting that AMD stated they will be handling thread assignments. Does this mean we will be getting regular driver updates for the CPU's with game releases like we do with the video cards?

You already do with the chipset drivers, in that same way, it includes its Power Management API, which on past generation Ryzen's had things like "Ryzen Power Profiles" you can enable under Power Profiles in Windows. I imagine they might be similar, it is always best to use the Ryzen Power Profiles when available after installing the chipset drivers, this allows Windows to manage power and threads better based on different power loads. So always install those AMD chipset drivers, and always keep them up to date.amd_power.PNG

You already do with the chipset drivers, in that same way, it includes its Power Management API, which on past generation Ryzen's had things like "Ryzen Power Profiles" you can enable under Power Profiles in Windows. I imagine they might be similar, it is always best to use the Ryzen Power Profiles when available after installing the chipset drivers, this allows Windows to manage power and threads better based on different power loads. So always install those AMD chipset drivers, and always keep them up to date.View attachment 2210
Wow, I apologize if I missed it in previous reviews but I didn't notice that. I did notice how you mentioned it in the 4090 OC review and was going to look into it. Definitely, at the top of my list to do in the next couple of days.

I'm waiting for these as well but absolutely waiting on official prices and reviews before making any decision. Since really only use my rig for web stuff and gaming I'm not overly worried about the comparison to the non X3D versions but not keeping them off the table as a possibility for the new build either.

Edit: I really can't emphasize how happy I've been with the 5800X3D and hope that the 7900X3D or 7950X3D surpass it significantly. Even last night when I was testing Brent's OC settings I liked seeing how it barely broke a sweat when SOTR was doing 185-300 FPS in 4K.

So always install those AMD chipset drivers, and always keep them up to date.
So, I may lose any cred I had here by admitting this, but here goes:

You have a very good point.

I don't know when the last update I saw on chipset drivers was. You don't really hear anything about them unless they patch some huge crippling bug or introduce some new feature, and I don't know if Windows updates them automatically as part of it's internal driver updates. Honestly, I don't even know off the top of my head how to tell what revision driver I'm running now.

You made me go look - apparently there was one released back in November for my B550. And yeah, I wasn't on the most recent revision. I have no idea what revision I was on...

I know I have installed these drivers before, but I do not have any AMD-specific power plans to chose from. We'll see what happens when I update to the latest.

1673584194500.png

So, I may lose any cred I had here by admitting this, but here goes:

You have a very good point.

I don't know when the last update I saw on chipset drivers was. You don't really hear anything about them unless they patch some huge crippling bug or introduce some new feature, and I don't know if Windows updates them automatically as part of it's internal driver updates. Honestly, I don't even know off the top of my head how to tell what revision driver I'm running now.

You made me go look - apparently there was one released back in November for my B550. And yeah, I wasn't on the most recent revision. I have no idea what revision I was on...

I know I have installed these drivers before, but I do not have any AMD-specific power plans to chose from. We'll see what happens when I update to the latest.

View attachment 2221
Yea mine looks the same as yours. Looking for this magical AMD setting now.

Yea mine looks the same as yours. Looking for this magical AMD setting now.
Somehow I managed to never have installed AMD's chipset driver and the power plan's that come with it?? Installing now will reboot and report back here. More performance left on the table?

seems that the power plans are no longer there in the newest driver versions? Unless I missed a super secret squirrle way to enable them. Perhaps for laptops only? Or desktops only? (Running a USB connected UPS so my windows kinda runs like it's a laptop... WTF knows why.

Last edited:
The AMD Ryzen profiles are on Zen and Zen 2/+, Zen 3 doesn't have the options. However, the chipset drivers still install the latest power management version, which Windows will use, so install them. Research CPPC2, it had to do with that.

Here you go, this answer is helpful:

https://community.amd.com/t5/proces...d-ryzen-5000-series/m-p/259920/highlight/true

But notice when you install the chipset drivers, it is installing power management features. So on Zen and Zen 2/+ that was needed, but with Zen 3 apparently, Windows handles it natively now, or at least with the latest updates. Also, most people probably don't know this, but it is better to use the new "Best Performance" setting in Windows power settings, RATHER than the power profiles option in control panel now, the whole method of optimizing the power profiles is now handled through that option, and so I make sure on all my test builds to use that option for setting power profiles, not the control panel option, I never touch the control panel power plans anymore, only that one in Windows Power settings and set it to "Best Performance" The exception is if its a Zen 1 or 2 CPU.

Now I assume this will be the case for the X3D parts as well, but, the question was asked would there be driver updates to help X3D threading issues, and the answer is, the delivery method is already in place via chipset driver updates if they had to do it, since something like that was done before for a different issue.

This plan specifically enables the 1ms clock selection we've been promoting as a result of CPPC2. This allows the CPU to respond more quickly to workloads, especially bursty workloads, which improves performance for you.

Checked mine just now. They were on balanced as well but switched to high.

I've messed with those power plans on my 3700X. Personally, I saw zero difference in performance between High Performance and the AMD High Performance. At least no difference in boost clocks, Cinebench scores or FPS in games. So, not sure what it does, or doesn't do.

I've messed with those power plans on my 3700X. Personally, I saw zero difference in performance between High Performance and the AMD High Performance. At least no difference in boost clocks, Cinebench scores or FPS in games. So, not sure what it does, or doesn't do.
Same here - in old builds it used to make a big difference, now all I can really tell is it changes the default timer for sleep

Unless you game @1080p, there's no point on getting an X3D CPU

Become a Patron!
Back