AMD Ryzen 7000X3D Architecture Preview

Also, most people probably don't know this, but it is better to use the new "Best Performance" setting in Windows power settings, RATHER than the power profiles option in control panel now
Wow. Huh.

So I went and checked - sure enough I was in Balanced in both spots. I changed the Settings version to Performance. On a hunch, I went and checked the Control Panel version - it was still at Balanced. For reference, I think this is the setting Brent is referring to as being the "correct" one, the picture I posted before being the "incorrect" one.

1673636432908.png

Windows needs to get their **** together... I hate all this mis-matched UI crap they started to push with Win8. All these years later and it isn't getting any better - just worse.

Wow. Huh.

So I went and checked - sure enough I was in Balanced in both spots. I changed the Settings version to Performance. On a hunch, I went and checked the Control Panel version - it was still at Balanced. For reference, I think this is the setting Brent is referring to as being the "correct" one, the picture I posted before being the "incorrect" one.

View attachment 2222

Windows needs to get their **** together... I hate all this mis-matched UI crap they started to push with Win8. All these years later and it isn't getting any better - just worse.
how do you get to that setting?

Pretty sure in Windows 10 you just have to use the control panel option, the new "Best Performance" thing is a Win11 feature

You already do with the chipset drivers, in that same way, it includes its Power Management API, which on past generation Ryzen's had things like "Ryzen Power Profiles" you can enable under Power Profiles in Windows. I imagine they might be similar, it is always best to use the Ryzen Power Profiles when available after installing the chipset drivers, this allows Windows to manage power and threads better based on different power loads. So always install those AMD chipset drivers, and always keep them up to date.View attachment 2210
Hi, Brent,

I totally apologize to you and @David_Schroth if I derail this thread with this question. While doing some research, I'm rebuilding a 3700x rig, I came across this in Dan's review for the 3700x.

"We also followed AMD’s recommendations for using CPPC2 which is enabled by using AMD’s balanced power plan."
https://www.thefpsreview.com/2019/09/05/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-cpu-review/5/

I'm just wondering how that factors in for the 3700x and/or these newer X3D processors. Is CPPC2 disabled when using the high-performance setting?

I think it is handled differently now in Windows 11

I will ask AMD the recommended power settings for X3D parts, and clarify the CPPC2 issue in our review

Unless you game @1080p, there's no point on getting an X3D CPU
Resolution isn't really a useful metric here. Average framerates aren't really either, and perhaps will be lower than on non-X3D parts in some cases.

What matters is whether the extra cache is eliminating enough cache misses so as to improve the game experience.

For cache-hungry games, the additional cache is huge - regardless of resolution - and for games that ride the edge of available cache on non-X3D (and Intel) parts, it can make a measurable or even user-noticeable difference in frametime consistency.

All in all, AMDs X3D parts should make games smoother more than it makes them faster, on average.

Resolution isn't really a useful metric here. Average framerates aren't really either, and perhaps will be lower than on non-X3D parts in some cases.

What matters is whether the extra cache is eliminating enough cache misses so as to improve the game experience.

For cache-hungry games, the additional cache is huge - regardless of resolution - and for games that ride the edge of available cache on non-X3D (and Intel) parts, it can make a measurable or even user-noticeable difference in frametime consistency.

All in all, AMDs X3D parts should make games smoother more than it makes them faster, on average.
probably. I'd love to see evidence that supports this, as it would give a different take on performance figures.

probably. I'd love to see evidence that supports this, as it would give a different take on performance figures.
It's already available in 5800X3D reviews. In games where the cache mattered resolution didn't, and the 5800X3D was faster than the 5800X, 5900X and 5950X. It's even beating the 7700X, 7900X and 7950X is those games at all resolutions.

I know that after having had a significant amount of time I've seen the gains, but coming from 3700x and 4930K so there should be, but yes, the experience is much smoother. So much so that when a jitter/stutter happens it's somewhat of an unusual occurrence. Don't get me wrong, they still happen, but they're intermittent enough to seem unusual.

I'm guessing the boost on the x3d chiplet will be @ 5 ghz regardless of the model

Become a Patron!
Back