AMD Ryzen 7000X3D Series Expected To Be Unveiled at CES 2023

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The AMD Ryzen 7000X3D series is expected to be officially unveiled at CES2023 as PC enthusiasts anxiously await the successor to the 5800X3D. The AMD Ryzen 5800X3D debuted in 2022 with its Zen 3 3D V-Cache.

See full article...

Figures this would drop the week of the Raptor Lake announcement.

I'm kinda surprised Intel hasnt released their '4d uber cache" line to compete. Best CPU for gaming is a title both companies want badly.

Undoubtedly this is because the new 13th gen Intel CPU's launched - what- yesterday(?) are faster than anticipated, and priced lower than expected.

This is why we recently saw price reductions on the 7xxx series, and saw the X3D variant, which likely was being planned earlier, bumped up in priority and expedited.

I've seen a lot of posts on social media stating things like "RIP AMD", which is a bit premature.

I think we find ourselves in a period where Intel and AMD are leapfrogging each other, just like they did in the good old days from ~1999 to ~2004. That was a good time. CPU's got faster very quickly, and CPU prices were more affordable.

The more competition there is, the better things are for the consumer.

We will have to see how well AMD can respond over time though. Intel has had a few bad years, but they are still the much larger company with many more resources available to them. It is still a bit of a David and Goliath fight, even though AMD has grown stronger as of late, and Intel has had some problems.

The best possible outcome is that they keep leapfrogging each other with each release and keep doing so for a long time. I - for one - don't want Intel or AMD to become dominant. This is not a sports game where you hope for your team to win. If one side crushes the other, it is worse for everyone.

Nice. Amd could stand to do a slight price adjustment. I already bought my 7700x though, and I will probably get the X3D chip anyway.

I'm still using my Zen2 based Threadripper 3960x, and I will continue to play my games on this platform until such time a title I am interested in playing becomes CPU limited at 4k resolution and max settings. (or at the very least can't hit a minimum of 60fps if I am forced to run down GPU settings).

When that happens I will continue to use the Threadripper in my workstation, but probably get a secondary mini-itx board for the second slot in my Corsair 1000D case, move the big GPU over to it and use it as a dedicated game build. I'd just need to pick up a light workjstation GPU that can support three monitors for the Threadripper.

For some stupid reason the Radeon Pro W6400 - which would otherwise be perfect - has been limited to only two monitors. The next one up (Radeon Pro W6600) supports three, but has a steep price increase to like $750.

On the Nvidia side maybe the Quadro T400 would do the trick, but it lists max horizontal res as 5120 x 2880. IN my setup with two 1600x1200 screens and one 3840x2160 screen, combined that might be a little too much. Maybe the 2GB of RAM just isn't sufficient.... There is a 4GB version though...

Last edited:
Undoubtedly this is because the new 13th gen Intel CPU's launched - what- yesterday(?) are faster than anticipated, and priced lower than expected.
It's always good to have competition.

Yea when I'm ready to refresh again I'll gl for the best at the price point I'm good with. I don't have a specifc brand loyalty.
I don't either, but I've been using Intel chips the last 7-8 years just based on their reliability. It's funny to read the remarks of fanboys of a certain brand (whether that's Intel or AMD) that get butt hurt because their favorite company isn't on top anymore. In reality, who cares, just buy what you want.

It's always good to have competition.

It is. Pretty crazy that some of the new Intel chips boost up to 6Ghz stock!

Edit:

Well... It says they do here:

1666380804829.png

But that is based on this link, which came somewhat before release.

Looking at the currently detailed models, the max appears to be 5.8
1666380935720.png
(I don't know how much to trust these numbers though since Max turbo for the 13900K is lower than the Turbo boost...)

Still that's pretty crazy, and would never have happened unless AMD lit a fire under their ***** with Ryzen.

Last edited:
At the performance both AMD and Intel offer does it really matter much anymore unless you are crunching serious amount of data/code daily and seconds to add up?

As for gaming...OMG this game at 280 FPS on this AMD is unplayable, better get the Intel so I can get 290 FPS.

The only benefit this generation that Intel has over AMD is the ability to use Z690 with cheaper DDR4 which brings the cost down. And if cost is the factor it's a wash if you go Z790 with DDR5. Which brings up a question. Has anyone done a side by side of 13th gen Intel using Z690 w/ DDR4 versus Z790 w/ DDR5?

Either way you go, AMD or Intel, you're getting a smokin fast system that'll play any game on the market for many years to come.

I did see a review saying gaming performance was largely within the margin of error with ddr4 or ddr5.

As for gaming...OMG this game at 280 FPS on this AMD is unplayable, better get the Intel so I can get 290 FPS.

You'd be surprised.

Some of the kids these days think it is total bullshit that they can't maximize their 360hz 1080p panels by turning all the quality settings down.

To many of them these days there is no "good enough" framerate. It's I need the most possible, **** everything else, or have FOMO about being at a disadvantage against other players.

it's totally insane, but it is what it is.

I mean, I liked the idea of the 5800X3D, it could've been a great gaming CPU, if it wasn't priced just high enough to be not worth buying at all.
I expect the same from the 7000 series version.

The AM5 platform is DOA anyway, the price of admission is just too high to begin with. Not just the price of the CPUs, but also needing to pay for the insanely priced MBs, and get DDR5 while you are at it, and you are looking at a $2000 bill for a simple upgrade. No thanks.

I mean, I liked the idea of the 5800X3D, it could've been a great gaming CPU, if it wasn't priced just high enough to be not worth buying at all.
I expect the same from the 7000 series version.

The AM5 platform is DOA anyway, the price of admission is just too high to begin with. Not just the price of the CPUs, but also needing to pay for the insanely priced MBs, and get DDR5 while you are at it, and you are looking at a $2000 bill for a simple upgrade. No thanks.
How do you get to 2000 for an upgrade? 200 for 32gb ddr 5, 300 for processor, and 300 for a MB.

AM5 just needs to mature a bit. Let the B series motherboards come out and the lower tier X board. DDR5 is also still expensive compared to DDR4.

How do you get to 2000 for an upgrade? 200 for 32gb ddr 5, 300 for processor, and 300 for a MB.
I took the 7900x as an example, which costs €650 here, the cheapest X670MB which is €350 here, and the cheapest 64GB DDR5 kit, which is also €350, since I have 64GB DDR4, I'm never going to "upgrade" to 32GB DDR5. OK, it's not 2000, only 1400. Still a hell no from me.

Comparatively Intel is looking really, really good, can use the old memory, and MBs start at half the price.

I took the 7900x as an example, which costs €650 here, the cheapest X670MB which is €350 here, and the cheapest 64GB DDR5 kit, which is also €350, since I have 64GB DDR4, I'm never going to "upgrade" to 32GB DDR5. OK, it's not 2000, only 1400. Still a hell no from me.

Comparatively Intel is looking really, really good, can use the old memory, and MBs start at half the price.
Do you have a good outlet for selling MB and processor without the ram? I always end up
selling as a bundle, so I never get away with carrying over ram like that.

Edit - alternatively, I’m generally also upgrading the wife or kids system, in which case I’m also moving MB / Processor / Ram.

Last edited:
I think at this point, starting from scratch and going all in, a new build is going to cost a lot for anybody. Sure you can get your feet wet with the older board and miss out on some of the newer features for less, and wait things out until prices drop, but that strategy only helps those who have the older parts on hand to swap over though. I did that when I upgraded from an old 2600K to a 4930K and then later upgraded various things (PSU, mem, drives, GPUs) on that rig (still in use btw with an EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA ).

I did my first AMD build with the X570/3700K(used the wraith prism cooler which was impressive for a stock cooler) but reused some upgrades from the 2600K before it was retired (newer PSU and drives) and kept that price to just over $1K. I then upgraded it this past summer with the 5800X3D, essentially rebuilding it, to what it is now but if that had been done from scratch it would've been well over $1K.

On the plus side, both companies have offerings that allow a new build that could offer great performance for many years to come. I also appreciate how each is trying out new ideas and the highest clock is no longer a defining metric for gaming (although it's fun reading the records). AM5 is still in its infancy while DDR5 is maturing rapidly. PCIe 5.0, while not really needed, can potentially help out a bit with load times if all of the other hardware is able to take advantage of it but that means checking all the boxes to get there.

Meanwhile, there's the whole power issue. Why even bother to upgrade if not planning on upgrading to a new GPU? Regardless of brand, they are power-hungry monsters and a powerful CPU won't be able to strut its stuff without one. Between the CPU/GPU, most are looking at 1200W if wanting to be on the safe side, although less is certainly possible.

I was looking forward to a 13900K but now I think I'll wait and see what X3D offerings AMD has. In either case, I'm expecting to drop $1500-$2K for a new build that should get the job done for 5-10 years. It is a lot of money but I'm starting to put it away now and another reason I'm skipping this year's GPU releases. I've already read numerous rumors as to why NV has canceled, for now, a 4090 Ti or Titan, but I refuse to believe they won't release something 12+ months from now. There was a leaked image for the cooler today but I held off on posting about it because I'm already seeing takedown notices for it on other websites. Lol, it was only 900W.

If you look at it from the "Building new system" perspective - Not a lot of daylight between Intel and AMD there. And if you are building a new system from scratch, you probably aren't kitting it out with DDR4 if you can help it.

And if you are looking at Upgrade ... well, you can upgrade Alder to Raptor, but any other gen and you are looking at a new motherboard as well. So, yeah, I guess you can re-use your DDR4 out of your old system... but you'd probably be better off keeping it as a working system.

If I were just betting - AMD got a lot of miles out of AM4 (and a many sockets before that even), whereas Intel seems to change out sockets at a whim (and if I were placing a side bet, it would be that Intel only did this generation because they feel threatened). I would bet on AM5 if I were looking to kit out a system with long term upgrades in mind.

The B650 seems to slide right in where it needs to with price/performance for someone with a budget.

Do you have a good outlet for selling MB and processor without the ram? I always end up
selling as a bundle, so I never get away with carrying over ram like that.

Edit - alternatively, I’m generally also upgrading the wife or kids system, in which case I’m also moving MB / Processor / Ram.
In my experience selling things as a bundle is much harder than just individual parts Unless you give giant discounts over what those parts are worth separately on the used market.

Last time I upgraded I sold my whole build, the only thing that it was missing was a proper GPU, but I added an old one to it just so it could power up and run as is. I got less for it than what my new MB cost. So I don't count on recouping costs by selling old parts much.

Become a Patron!
Back