Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon Developer Says That Working on Dark Souls, Sekiro, and Elden Ring Changed the FromSoftware Team

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Armored Core VI Fires of Rubicon producer Yasutaka Ogura shared how the team has changed since the last release ten years ago. Ogura recently attended the Taipei Game Show and spoke during an hour-long Armored Core segment about how the FromSoftware team was affected after working on souls-like games and then moving on to the next installment of the mech franchise.

See full article...

Yeah, other than all the hype for the sales records my desire to try Elden Ring continues to lessen, and it wasn't that great to begin with.

Yeah, other than all the hype for the sales records my desire to try Elden Ring continues to lessen, and it wasn't that great to begin with.
I have a suspicion that souls like games are like being in a gourmet restaurant pretending to like the food because everybody else seems to like it, but it turns out everyone is just pretending for the same reason.

Never cared for a single Souls-like game, so FromSoftware was always an Armored Core company to me, even though they haven't busted out one in a long time. Glad they finally are. However I will probably give Elden Ring a try, cuz two friends I have who absolutely do not care for games like this ended up going through the whole game and enjoying it. Very strange indeed, so I suppose I shall have to at least check it out for myself. Besides, I never outright dismiss games until I've gotten hands-on with them.

I have a suspicion that souls like games are like being in a gourmet restaurant pretending to like the food because everybody else seems to like it, but it turns out everyone is just pretending for the same reason.
That is the best explanation of Dark Soul’s odd popularity that I have seen to date. I think, sir, that you have squarely nailed it.

My son absolutely loves the Souls games as well as Sekiro and yet he had a horrible time getting through Elden Ring. He forced himself to finish the game finally but it took months for him to do it because it bored him and he quit playing it multiple times.

I can understand the draw of a game like that but it's not something I enjoy and I avoid it at all costs. I think of them as the equivalent of the Battletoads NES sewer race segment and you keep doing it over and over until you have it memorized and beat that part. Then the next part is the same thing except the path is different so you need to memorize a new one. And that's basically what the whole game is. Constant frustration is not my idea of fun.

I have played one game which is sort of "souls-like" but it wasn't designed to be frustrating, has more story and was designed with multiple difficulty levels. I played on story difficulty because I wanted to play the game, not play frustration even if the game is nowhere near as difficult as the actual souls games. It was overall an enjoyable game even if the story wasn't as in-depth as I would have liked. I probably could have played through on normal difficulty but didn't see the point.

"Souls-style" games can be fun but it needs a difficulty slider to have a chance for it being fun for a larger audience.

And I have no doubt that the dev team has a completely different mindset considering they've done little more than souls games for a decade. I wouldn't expect much from a game from them that isn't a souls game at this point. I could be wrong but certain habits become ingrained.

Constant frustration is not my idea of fun.
Amen brotha.

I have a lot of trouble trying to figure out why people find Souls-like games so fun. I do NOT like how much influence they have over the game industry these days. Developers seem to love them too, and elements of such games end up in too many other games.

I think of them as the equivalent of the Battletoads NES sewer race segment and you keep doing it over and over until you have it memorized and beat that part.
Oh gawd, the traumatic memories! That underground area on those hoverbikes was one of the worst - if not THE worst - video game levels of all time!!! And later BattleToads games (like the 2nd game on SNES, Battlemaniacs) had similar levels. Fun fact: using both emulator save states and Game Genie codes, I STILL could not beat BattleToads 1! The closest I got was the second-to-last level, where you are hanging on to those single-wheel-with-handlebars vehicles. And by the time I got to this level, I am pretty sure I knocked years off my total lifespan, and the number of white hairs on my head went up in number exponentially.

And I have no doubt that the dev team has a completely different mindset considering they've done little more than souls games for a decade. I wouldn't expect much from a game from them that isn't a souls game at this point. I could be wrong but certain habits become ingrained.
You make a very good point there. I will certainly be very cautious in my approach to Armored Core 6.

You have to though, I mean you can't play every game, some has to be dismissed outright.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah I guess you have a point too. I suppose what I meant is, I can't say I don't (or do) like a game until I get hands-on with it.

Become a Patron!
Back