ASUS Debuts 4K/144Hz HDR1000 Monitor with DSC

The part I don't fully understand is why you need more than 16.7m colors when you are (at 4k) dealing with only 8.3 million pixels.

You could put a unique color on each pixel, and still only have used half of your available palette.
Well I can't argue your math but I can honestly tell you that I've had 8 bit VA and 10 bit IPS panels side by side and shown them to others for comparison. All agreed the difference was very noticeable. Being a display junkie I do have a growing collection of these things. The even odder thing is that I'm aware that supposedly true 10 bit support doesn't happen from NVIDIA or Windows except for professional apps. I've read that most games do not inherently actually have 10 bit color textures, etc., but again I've seen the difference. Anytime I sit down in front of a 8 bit panel things just seem more bland now after having had 3 different 4k IPS panels. Sure you can crank settings here and there but it just gives a washed out oversaturated effect similiar to turning up the color too far on an old pre-lcd t.v.

Well I can't argue your math but I can honestly tell you that I've had 8 bit VA and 10 bit IPS panels side by side and shown them to others for comparison. All agreed the difference was very noticeable. Being a display junkie I do have a growing collection of these things. The even odder thing is that I'm aware that supposedly true 10 bit support doesn't happen from NVIDIA or Windows except for professional apps. I've read that most games do not inherently actually have 10 bit color textures, etc., but again I've seen the difference. Anytime I sit down in front of a 8 bit panel things just seem more bland now after having had 3 different 4k IPS panels. Sure you can crank settings here and there but it just gives a washed out oversaturated effect similiar to turning up the color too far on an old pre-lcd t.v.

I don’t see what color pallet has to do with pixel count

That right there answers my question.

I thought this was an indication of the number of colors it was able to display at one time, not an indication of the palette it is pulling from.

Makes more sense now, thanks.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back