ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Video Card Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner1.png

Introduction

NVIDIA launched the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti in September of 2018 with an MSRP of $999 for the regular version and $1199 for the Founders Edition.  The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti from then, to this very date here in the Spring of 2020 remains the fastest graphics card for gaming.  Nothing has touched it yet; nothing has replaced it yet.  The competition has nothing close. 

The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti has been able to hang onto the graphics performance crown over one and a half years now (19 months) of domination.  It is the only video card capable of providing a decent gameplay experience for the 4K crowd, there is no other competition.  Unless AMD comes out with something this year to challenge it, the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti could survive near 2 years of absolutely no...

Continue reading...

Thx for the review, I picked this card up, after trying a 2080TI black and SC Ultra from EVGA. this and the Ultra were very similar in performance for me.

Is it not possible to include other 2080 TI cards in the charts to compare?

Thx for the review, I picked this card up, after trying a 2080TI black and SC Ultra from EVGA. this and the Ultra were very similar in performance for me.

Is it not possible to include other 2080 TI cards in the charts to compare?

We'll include them as we have them - right now our "inventory" has only this ASUS ROG STRIX 2080 Ti and the Founders Edition. Not many manufacturers are still sampling their 2080 Ti (even a year ago when we launched the site this was the case). Whenever NVIDIA launches the next generation of top end cards, we'll make sure to review as many as we can which will give us a better basis for comparison.

I'm not shocked that you're seeing similar performance between the cards - generally speaking there's about 10%-ish headroom in clock speeds of each SKU on the NVIDIA side of the fence whether you're looking at a Founders Edition card or a souped up AIB card. Sure, the souped up cards will give you a couple percent more performance (while being cooler, looking cooler and being quieter) but it's not always a boost you'll notice in the real world.

Thanks for the review Brent!

I've really enjoyed mine. Very, very, reluctantly got it at around the time it was released. It was the only path to escape SLI for 4K gaming. I'd come from 2x 1080's and was pleasantly surprised. I've also seen how that 11GB is pretty much a necessity for many games at 4K. It's been the 2nd Strix x80TI model I've tried and fully expect to either get another, or MSI Trio, for whatever succeeds the 2080TI. I have to say they're the best you can do if still committing to air cooling.

Oh just want to add for anyone wondering about how a OC'd 2080 Super stacks up to this I've got one in my other rig, an EVGA Super XC Ultra. In terms of FPS it performs nearly exactly the same at 1440p as the Strix 2080TI does as 4K using the exact same settings in games. You really get a sense how the engineers, and powers that be, crunched the numbers at NVIDIA to define their tier levels.

Oh just want to add for anyone wondering about how a OC'd 2080 Super stacks up to this I've got one in my other rig, an EVGA Super XC Ultra. In terms of FPS it performs nearly exactly the same at 1440p as the Strix 2080TI does as 4K using the exact same settings in games. You really get a sense how the engineers, and powers that be, crunched the numbers at NVIDIA to define their tier levels.
I really need to upgrade (EVGA Step up) my 2080ti I bought one of the power limited ones without knowing about that crap. my card hits 2115/2070 and then instantly backs down for power reasons. Sigh NVIDIA better not pull artificial limitations on the next high end ti cards.

Are you using a flashed BIOS on this? Mine is limited to 112% power, and +1500 memory clock in MSI AB

Are you using a flashed BIOS on this? Mine is limited to 112% power, and +1500 memory clock in MSI AB

Did you enable extended overclocking/memory/voltage limits in your Afterburner settings?

Card was reviewed as received from ASUS with no bios mods from us.

Become a Patron!
Back