Big Navi Could Come in Both 16 GB and 12 GB Variants

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
amd-radeon-5600-xt-side-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

If we had a dollar for every rumor that has come out this summer for AMD and NVIDIA, we’d probably be able to buy a whole box of their upcoming cards. The latest comes, once again, via a user on the website Chiphell.

They state that Big Navi could come in two variants featuring either 16 GB or 12 GB of VRAM. It does, however, pose an interesting notion about the VRAM options for Big Navi. This could be very plausible considering the claims of AMD’s top-tier card(s) rivaling NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. Since the RTX 2080 Ti features 11 GB of VRAM, it would seem likely that a competing card would need to match or exceed that for 4K gaming. Giving it more memory also provides a more affordable path for compute-intensive tasks. AMD has been known to...

Continue reading...

16gb version - > 12gb DDR 6 + 4gb of HBM2e :D
12gb version - > 12gb of DDR 6 :)
Who knows the configuration, I don't think it is important at all, real performance in different types of workloads is what I need to know compared to Nvidia.

Either that or ddr6 with a 384-bit wide bus and one with a 512-bit wide bus... This seems much simpler as it would mean they can use the same chip for both, just leave some address lines unused for the cut down version. Doing a 384-bit wide ddr6 bus + a single 4GB stack wouldn't make any sense.
1 hbm2 chip is limited to like 250gb/s and needs 1024bit wide interface. The gddr6 @ 18gbps modules and 384-bit bus would give 864gb/s. This would make the hbm2 less than 1/3 the speed. A 512-bit bus would give you 1152gb/s. This is faster than a stack of 4 hbm2 chips (depending on final speeds). This in no way makes sense over just using a 512-bit bus.

I think they are going to launch a high end big Navi that has 32 gig of video memory onboard, That utilizes PCIE 4.0 x16 bus and out performs a 3090 ti for 1/2 the price. Oh and all of the drivers will be mature at launch...

Become a Patron!
Back