Brie Larson, Marvel Women "Passionately" Asking Kevin Feige for All-Female Film

Yep studios often make the right decisions based on the popularity of something right? I mean hell look at Firefly.

Yep studios often make the right decisions based on the popularity of something right? I mean hell look at Firefly.

Captain Marvel had the 7th biggest opening and was terrible. Firefly was the 98th rated show on TV when it was canceled and was good (not as good as people make it out to be but it was good....ish).

Firefly should have been canceled, the studio was right. Captain Marvel made money, the studio was right. Firefly should have been better received if everyone did what people want here and watched it no matter what. And Captain Marvel should have lost money if people went to see things based on the quality. So you have no point. Because popular doesn't mean good. And good does not mean popular. If people keep going to crap. Crap keeps getting made.

Captain Marvel had the 7th biggest opening and was terrible. Firefly was the 98th rated show on TV when it was canceled and was good (not as good as people make it out to be but it was good....ish).

Firefly should have been canceled, the studio was right. Captain Marvel made money, the studio was right. Firefly should have been better received if everyone did what people want here and watched it no matter what. And Captain Marvel should have lost money if people went to see things based on the quality. So you have no point. Because popular doesn't mean good. And good does not mean popular. If people keep going to crap. Crap keeps getting made.
...and tastes vary from one individual to another 🌧

yeah ... but have you seen the movie for yourself to form your own opinion? :unsure:

Have you ever seen reviews on a movie and decided it wasn't for you so you didn't see it? I kinda bet you have. Does that make you closed minded or whatever you were trying to imply I was? I didn't need to see Steel Magnolias or The Bridges of Madison County to know they weren't my cup or tea.

Have you ever seen reviews on a movie and decided it wasn't for you so you didn't see it? I kinda bet you have. Does that make you closed minded or whatever you were trying to imply I was? I didn't need to see Steel Magnolias or The Bridges of Madison County to know they weren't my cup or tea.
I've done both .. seen a movie that had horrid reviews and thought that it was a pretty good .. and great reviews and I thought the movie stank .. I enjoyed Captain Marvel .. others didn't... but that's my experience... I don't like pot, alcohol, chew and falling out of trees and landing on my face .. from personal experience .. and I probably wouldn't like meth or being a Christian in the middle of an ISIS camp based on other peoples experiences.

Based on what you have read, you don't think Captian Marvel is your cup of tea ... fair enough

Loss of sales has most definitely killed franchises. So, not going to crappy movies does work and if no one ever skips a crappy movie it won't end. As for having to see something or experience something to form an opinion that is also false. I can watch someone else do something and fail and figure out why it won't work from previous accumulated experience. I can see something in a certain genera come out and know from previous experience with that genera it is something I won't be interested in. Let's not be ridiculous here as you guys are. But if we must. Smash your testicles with a hammer. You haven't done it before, why take everyone else's word that it would hurt?
Do you really think the testicle thing was logical, similar, or intelligent?
Do you think movies and smashing testicles are the same?

Also Movie franchises do not die, they are put on ice until the studios think they can make money off of it again. This is the same with video games.

You are being so dramatic.
Watching someone "fail at doing something" and forming an opinion is not the same as forming an opinion regarding an hour or longer movie you have never seen.

I can not say Tool Sucks with any integrity or validity just because one guy told me that or 10 guys told me that.
In order to have a valid opinion I need to do the listening.

Same applies to you and Power Supplies. You would not just take someones word that a PSU is good or bad you would TEST it.

Look some people can't appreciate a movie without seeing someone like them in a power and heroic role. That's fine. This movie is for the other half of the population and every guy that doesn't care about that. Le gasp.. What? A movie not made to appeal to me because the woman is military and assertive? What world do we live in now!!

The movie is entertaining. The complaints I've seen are easily understood if you do any work to put yourself in the characters shoes and try to understand them. Sigh...

But let's keep up with cromagnon hour...

Do you really think the testicle thing was logical, similar, or intelligent?
Do you think movies and smashing testicles are the same?

Also Movie franchises do not die, they are put on ice until the studios think they can make money off of it again. This is the same with video games.

You are being so dramatic.
Watching someone "fail at doing something" and forming an opinion is not the same as forming an opinion regarding an hour or longer movie you have never seen.

I can not say Tool Sucks with any integrity or validity just because one guy told me that or 10 guys told me that.
In order to have a valid opinion I need to do the listening.

Same applies to you and Power Supplies. You would not just take someones word that a PSU is good or bad you would TEST it.

I see you completely missed the point and are unable to understand how reasonable people function based on the ability of humans to learn from their environment, the past, and observation. Oh well.

yeah ... but have you seen the movie for yourself to form your own opinion? :unsure:

To quote my wife after seeing endgame. "That whole girl power moment was a bit much."

It was a bit discordant as placed and paced. So hopefully if they do it, they do better than that by a lot.

If they do it it should be because they have a good idea, not because of "wouldn't it be great if."

Last edited:
Ok look to those who don't think the movie is for them. Great don't see it. But if there is enough of a market for a movie not for you to still turn a good profit... WHY SHOULDN'T THE STUDIO MAKE IT?! I mean holy **** I don't see why all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is going on. The guy doesn't want to see a all female Marvel movie. OK. So what? I'll still go see it.. I mean.. sure it's female empowerment or whatever... but they are ALSO hot. So I'm down for that.

*scratches head.* Can a woman not be hot AND empowered and still be a good movie? I mean WTF.

I have to say that I'm truly surprised this thread probably has the most replies ever so far here. Nothing else to say because in nearly 500 posts here it's probably already been said. Just sayin'

edit: views

Last edited:
Ok look to those who don't think the movie is for them. Great don't see it. But if there is enough of a market for a movie not for you to still turn a good profit... WHY SHOULDN'T THE STUDIO MAKE IT?! I mean holy **** I don't see why all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is going on. The guy doesn't want to see a all female Marvel movie. OK. So what? I'll still go see it.. I mean.. sure it's female empowerment or whatever... but they are ALSO hot. So I'm down for that.

*scratches head.* Can a woman not be hot AND empowered and still be a good movie? I mean WTF.

The second one of these millennial half-wit Hollywood celebrities tells me that a film isn't for me, I take them at their word and don't watch it. As a result, I haven't seen either Captain Marvel or the Batwoman TV show. When they start making everything political, I'm out.

But I think you miss the point of what's wrong with allot of this feminist nonsense in media as of late. First off, I don't think It is even necessary. Even if it was, the way they are going about it is the wrong. The methods used to elevate female character in modern media is toxic as hell.

We had strong female leads in the 1980's and 1990's. We had Ellen Ripley (Alien), Sarah Connor (Terminator), Selene (Underworld) and others. The difference between then and now is a character like Ellen Ripley stood with the male characters in the film as an equals. The strong female characters of the past didn't have to stand strong at the expense of men by tearing men down. They were equal because they were written that way. They were written as strong characters and played by actresses that were convincing in the roles they were cast. They made us believe the character was strong enough to handle anything.

In modern "girl power films and TV shows" the opposite is true. These female characters (and often the actresses who play them) make endless jokes about how bad men are, how stupid, sexist, and accuse us all of being misogynists and worse. What's also potentially damaging here is that they aren't strong female characters that act like women. They are basically written as males but played by actors with vaginas. They don't act like women at all. If you look at strong female characters in previous decades, you had characters like Buffy, Ripley, etc. that were strong, but still acted like women. The take away for younger viewers could end up being: "To be strong, act like a man." That's practically the message conveyed by these poorly written characters and stories.

The fact of the matter is this: Comic book based movies appeal more to white males who grew up reading them. This is the target demographic and the bread and butter for the success of these films. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making a comic book based movie or any film that's designed to appeal to different demographics. I couldn't care less. However, the businesses behind these films aren't necessarily keen to make a film that's not going to gross a billion dollars. The issue is further compounded by the man hating rhetoric of some of these actresses and the studios have little incentive to put up the money for a project that's going to get negative press from the outset because of stupid things the lead actress likes to say.

The thing is, Captain Marvel was a comic book movie in the MCU continuity. I didn't care that it had a female lead or that it was about a female super hero. I probably would have seen it in the theaters automatically, until Brie Larson opened her mouth and let the dumb come out.

The second one of these millennial half-wit Hollywood celebrities tells me that a film isn't for me, I take them at their word and don't watch it. As a result, I haven't seen either Captain Marvel or the Batwoman TV show. When they start making everything political, I'm out.

But I think you miss the point of what's wrong with allot of this feminist nonsense in media as of late. First off, I don't think It is even necessary. Even if it was, the way they are going about it is the wrong. The methods used to elevate female character in modern media is toxic as hell.

We had strong female leads in the 1980's and 1990's. We had Ellen Ripley (Alien), Sarah Connor (Terminator), Selene (Underworld) and others. The difference between then and now is a character like Ellen Ripley stood with the male characters in the film as an equals. The strong female characters of the past didn't have to stand strong at the expense of men by tearing men down. They were equal because they were written that way. They were written as strong characters and played by actresses that were convincing in the roles they were cast. They made us believe the character was strong enough to handle anything.

In modern "girl power films and TV shows" the opposite is true. These female characters (and often the actresses who play them) make endless jokes about how bad men are, how stupid, sexist, and accuse us all of being misogynists and worse. What's also potentially damaging here is that they aren't strong female characters that act like women. They are basically written as males but played by actors with vaginas. They don't act like women at all. If you look at strong female characters in previous decades, you had characters like Buffy, Ripley, etc. that were strong, but still acted like women. The take away for younger viewers could end up being: "To be strong, act like a man." That's practically the message conveyed by these poorly written characters and stories.

The fact of the matter is this: Comic book based movies appeal more to white males who grew up reading them. This is the target demographic and the bread and butter for the success of these films. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making a comic book based movie or any film that's designed to appeal to different demographics. I couldn't care less. However, the businesses behind these films aren't necessarily keen to make a film that's not going to gross a billion dollars. The issue is further compounded by the man hating rhetoric of some of these actresses and the studios have little incentive to put up the money for a project that's going to get negative press from the outset because of stupid things the lead actress likes to say.

The thing is, Captain Marvel was a comic book movie in the MCU continuity. I didn't care that it had a female lead or that it was about a female super hero. I probably would have seen it in the theaters automatically, until Brie Larson opened her mouth and let the dumb come out.

Ok I'm going to respond to a couple different points you are making here. I'll break it up.

"In modern "girl power films and TV shows" the opposite is true. These female characters (and often the actresses who play them) make endless jokes about how bad men are, how stupid, sexist, and accuse us all of being misogynists and worse. What's also potentially damaging here is that they aren't strong female characters that act like women. They are basically written as males but played by actors with vaginas. They don't act like women at all. If you look at strong female characters in previous decades, you had characters like Buffy, Ripley, etc. that were strong, but still acted like women. The take away for younger viewers could end up being: "To be strong, act like a man." That's practically the message conveyed by these poorly written characters and stories."

I agree here that the strong female lead acts more 'male' but it kind of sort of fits with the character in the case of Captain marvel. How you might ask? In the movie the setting was a time period where female Fighter pilots simply didn't happen. It was not allowed to have a female pilot enter combat. The characters had to act like fighter jocks to gain the begrudging respect of their cohorts. It's a case where the environment they were in dictated their behavior. Further when the lead character was kidnapped she had nothing but military experiences and development no emotional development at all basically because that could lead to the character freeing themselves and that did eventually happen. When you look at the flashback scene it was a character that was beaten down because they were small and weak and stood back up all their life to attain that which was deemed not for them. Thew way the character behaved fit the setting and the context of the movie. And yea... she played uber badass because... she was. She was also decidedly inhuman in her interactions and behaviors because she had more connection with alien society than that of the humans. Hence she took up guardianship of a galaxy not just a city or planet. There is a chance for more character growth going forward of course... I mean look what happened to Thor! ;)

"The thing is, Captain Marvel was a comic book movie in the MCU continuity. I didn't care that it had a female lead or that it was about a female super hero. I probably would have seen it in the theaters automatically, until Brie Larson opened her mouth and let the dumb come out."

Yea that's great... you realize that quote was about a completely different movie right? It wasn't about a marvel movie at all. It was about an indie film she was involved in where a critic stated he didn't get it. And her response was.... because this movie wasn't made for you. It wasn't sexist... it was factual. Though to be fair a guy saying a movie wasn't made for a woman would be derided as well. At least make your decision to not see the movie be based on the right movie the actress was speaking out about. I only know this because in another thread full of toxicity I bothered to look it up.

Yea that's great... you realize that quote was about a completely different movie right?
That I didn't know .. I don't care if an actor or actress is a model citizen or not to watch a movie they might be in so her comment(s) were a non-issue anyways... but I have seen a lot of what now seems as , out of context , uproar over it :poop:

Become a Patron!
Back