CD PROJEKT RED Announces New Witcher Trilogy, Two Additional Witcher Games, a Cyberpunk 2077 Sequel, and Entirely New IP

Latest Generation games also seem to take a lot longer to develop -

First it was just sprites and a story
Then we went to fully 3D rendered scenes
Then we went to fully orchestrated music
Then full voiceovers
Physics engines are now standard
We shifted from baked animations to fully jointed models on physics
Shaders got added in there somewhere
Online stuff - be it multiplayer or whatever
Now we have dynamic lighting and raytracing and other crap to throw in there
And don't forget platform optimization, delivery optimization, DLC, Spinoffs, in-game shopping, metrics, etc

Yeah, game engines take care of a lot of that, but with a AAA game, the expectation is that you exceed the engine in some way; otherwise every single indy developer could throw out graphics equal to whatever you are doing, and that won't sell well. It's just stacking levels of complexity that take time and money to implement.

They've made 3 Witcher games, I'm sure they can handle 3 more without much issue. They've made one Cyberpunk game which was nothing like The Witcher, there is going to be a learning curve for them, just like with The Witcher, that's how great games are made. The PC version wasn't broken, just buggy. I don't play PC games on consoles so I don't really care all that much about that and I doubt CDPR did that intentionally but I think they were dumb for trying to release it on previous gen systems.
Cyberpunk 2077 wasn't just buggy. I wish people would stop saying that. Yes, it was buggy. The issues with Cyberpunk 2077 go well beyond being buggy. Arkham Knight was a buggy piece of ****. Cyberpunk was a buggy piece of **** and it was unfinished. The game still isn't finished today and falls well short of what CD Projekt Red promised to deliver.

All of that being said, I think it's a fantastic game with an amazing atmosphere and fun gameplay. Gameplay that wasn't right at launch due to balance issues and certain items in the game doing nothing because they were literally unfinished. (Optical Camo being one example of this.)

I do agree that releasing it on previous generation consoles was a dumb idea. They cannot handle the game. Period.

Those were not all made by the same people, not to mention that for instance dragon age 2 while having a decent story reused soo many assets it almost killed the franchise.

It just proved that making a lot of games in a short time is a bad idea.
And why do you assume all projects at CDPR would be made by the exact same people?

Dragon Age 2 re-used about as many assets as Mass Effect 1, but it was the beginning of the "EA bad" era. Also very few of the actual dogpilers played the game enough to encounter the re-used assets. Most of the criticism at the time was that EA made it too action oriented and reduced the strategy aspect of the encounters. Which might be a negative to some, but DA2 is still my favorite Dragon Age game, so you are not convincing me that it should not have been made.

Latest Generation games also seem to take a lot longer to develop -

First it was just sprites and a story
Then we went to fully 3D rendered scenes
Then we went to fully orchestrated music
Then full voiceovers
Physics engines are now standard
All of those things existed by the early 2000s.
We shifted from baked animations to fully jointed models on physics
Which makes animating characters much easier, not harder.
Shaders got added in there somewhere
Also in the early 2000s.
Online stuff - be it multiplayer or whatever
Which I'd happily forego, as it doesn't benefit single player games in any way.
Now we have dynamic lighting and raytracing and other crap to throw in there
Which is also easier than baked in light, which to be fair is still used heavily in combination with dynamic to conserve resources.
And don't forget platform optimization, delivery optimization, DLC, Spinoffs, in-game shopping, metrics, etc
Those are the types of excuses "corporate man" would use. You shouldn't even think about DLCs before the game is out. In game shops is also a nightmare I'd never use.
Yeah, game engines take care of a lot of that, but with a AAA game, the expectation is that you exceed the engine in some way; otherwise every single indy developer could throw out graphics equal to whatever you are doing, and that won't sell well. It's just stacking levels of complexity that take time and money to implement.
It seems more like a lot of BS features that do not benefit the player or the game at all, and politics that's bogging down development. You could still make an AAA game in 2 years, if you don't screw around aimlessly, and have competent and focused people working on it.

The fact is that tools have become so hilariously simple that 90% of a game can be built by people with zero prior coding skills. Map and level designers can make a complex map in hours using just the inbuilt tools of UE5. So it is my firm opinion that any insider who says it is harder to make a game now than it was 10 years ago is either incompetent or gaslighting.

Which might be a negative to some, but DA2 is still my favorite Dragon Age game, so you are not convincing me that it should not have been made.
I never said it should not have been made, they should have taken their time so they did not have to reuse the same couple of smallish maps over and over again with some slight changes.

I never said it should not have been made, they should have taken their time so they did not have to reuse the same couple of smallish maps over and over again with some slight changes.
The same exact thing can be said about Mass Effect, why was it not bothering people that much in 2008 but suddenly became this game breaking issue by 2011?

I'm so tired of the mantra of "just take their time" when they take their time it usually means feature creep and headless chicken development. Sure there is a minimum time required to develop a game, but what matters is how the time is used, not how much is used. You can't say CPPR didn't take their time with CP2077, and it still didn't result in a fully completed and bug free game. So what does take their time mean in this context? Absolutely nothing.

If the leadership or the techs are incompetent, or there is no clear creative direction more time won't help at all.

Should we tell Star Citizen, to take their time? No, they already took twice the time it should take to develop even a massive project. Had they clear goals set out from the start, we weren't looking at a perpetual alpha of a meager tech demo.

I'm so tired of the mantra of "just take their time" when they take their time it usually means feature creep and headless chicken development. Sure there is a minimum time required to develop a game, but what matters is how the time is used, not how much is used. You can't say CPPR didn't take their time with CP2077, and it still didn't result in a fully completed and bug free game. So what does take their time mean in this context? Absolutely nothing.
https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/dr...r-developer-da2-was-a-one-year-produc-487429/
https://www.fanbyte.com/games/news/...er-that-dragon-age-2-was-made-in-nine-months/

Think this should make it clearer that some more time might not have been a bad thing

So it is my firm opinion that any insider who says it is harder to make a game now than it was 10 years ago is either incompetent or gaslighting.
Harder to make any game? No, you are right. The tools have become very powerful.

But folks expect a AAA to push boundaries and do more than what you can do with drag and drop in Unity

But folks expect a AAA to push boundaries and do more than what you can do with drag and drop in Unity
I don't think most folks would know the difference. I'm not being hyperbolic. When 3rd parties can throw together concept demos to wow those folks with little to no programming experience, I think "folks expect it" is not a valid justification for feature creep.

Yep, but it's an almost sideways move for him. He's not trying to leave the company but change roles within it.

“I am beginning a brand new personal chapter at CD Projekt, as I will submit my candidacy for the role of Chairman to the Supervisory Board, leaving behind my joint CEO role,”

I don't think most folks would know the difference. I'm not being hyperbolic. When 3rd parties can throw together concept demos to wow those folks with little to no programming experience, I think "folks expect it" is not a valid justification for feature creep.
I agree entirely with this statement.

Yeah, I was expecting some closer ties to Epic once it was announced they'd switched over to using the Unreal Engine. As long as GOG doesn't suffer and we can still get these games through GOG, I'm fine with it. What worries me though is that I thought I remembered stories about GOG's revenue dropping a while back. I hope we're not in the early stages of a buyout. Tencent has been making statements recently about wanting to buy out a lot more studios.

Dragon Age 2 re-used about as many assets as Mass Effect 1, but it was the beginning of the "EA bad" era. Also very few of the actual dogpilers played the game enough to encounter the re-used assets. Most of the criticism at the time was that EA made it too action oriented and reduced the strategy aspect of the encounters. Which might be a negative to some, but DA2 is still my favorite Dragon Age game, so you are not convincing me that it should not have been made.
Though it wasn't my favorite of the series, I quite enjoyed DA2. I didn't play it until a few years or so after its release, and by that time it felt as though even EA wanted to pretend it didn't exist. I was glad that I chose to ignore the critics. It was underrated in my opinion.
What worries me though is that I thought I remembered stories about GOG's revenue dropping a while back. I hope we're not in the early stages of a buyout. Tencent has been making statements recently about wanting to buy out a lot more studios.
Now that is a scary thought. I wish more people would purchase games from GOG when available.

I just revisited the initial announcement of the new Witcher saga from CDPR's news archive, dated March 21, 2022. In case anyone cares, here's the link:

Though it wasn't my favorite of the series, I quite enjoyed DA2. I didn't play it until a few years or so after its release, and by that time it felt as though even EA wanted to pretend it didn't exist. I was glad that I chose to ignore the critics. It was underrated in my opinion.
I only liked awakenings more.

1. Awakenings
2. DA2
3. Origins
5. Inquisition - because it can't even be mentioned near the others.

Dragon's Age is another EA franchise I tend to barely get into. I remember trying the first one and getting bored after feeling like I had to read a 2000-page novel just to get past the intro parts. I liked the graphics and mechanics but just way too much text. I was done with text adventures back in 82. I did a playthrough of Inquisition for free through Origin Access and thought it was o.k. but seemed way too short and, for me, had an unusual amount of graphical issues. I admit I was biased because I'd already become hooked on the Witcher franchise and was looking for something else but it wasn't bad just not great.

They also recently put out a video on their youtube channel announcing the full embracing of ESG score. It seems like CDPR is heading to an early grave instead of a return to form.

What a shame.

ESG will never be installed on any machine of mine.

I presume they will still maintain GoG at least? GoG I have no problem with.

Did you assume xir's gender, or did Destructoid?
If he has gone to they then they should update their own page.

1665310214156.png

Become a Patron!
Back