Chris Roberts Reminds Star Citizen Fans That Its Single-Player Mode, Squadron 42, Is Nowhere Near Complete

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
squadron-42-start-the-adventure-1024x576.jpg
Image: Cloud Imperium Games

Cloud Imperium Games Chairman and CEO Chris Roberts has shared a lengthy letter regarding his company’s controversial multiplayer space sim title, Star Citizen, which has been in production for close to a decade now. A portion of the letter relates to the game’s single-player campaign mode, Squadron 42, but unfortunately, it is less of a progress update and more of a confirmation that the game isn’t coming out anytime soon.

“As I said earlier this year, Squadron 42 will be done when it is done, and will not be released just to make a date, but instead only when...

Continue reading...

Oh my god Chris Roberts can't manage a deadline?! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT SUCH A THING POSSIBLE.

I wouldn't trust that man to get popcorn out of a microwave without burning it to ash.

Its called a long con people, a long con.
And a perfectly executed one too.
Don't know if uou can even sure for this one.

Its called a long con people, a long con.
And a perfectly executed one too.
Don't know if uou can even sure for this one.

I don't think that's what the original intent was. I think what happened is that they were able to raise an insane amount of money for something people wanted to believe in and then had accessed to those funds without the oversight that you would normally have working for another company and getting traditional funding through investors. Chris and his cronies probably started living it up and spend the money as fast as it comes in. To be fair, this is actually what happens with a lot of Ponzi schemes. Often, they didn't start out that way but people with access to the cash quickly lose sight of their objectives and basic morality and before you know it they are living the good life and can't give it up and get back on track.

On the project side of it, the thing has been a mismanaged clusterfuck from the start. Features needed to be stripped as feature creep got out of control early on. Squadron 42 should have been available years ago, but again due to mismanagement they started concentrating on other aspects of the project, which was already beyond the original scope for SQ42. Granted, SC was discussed in the original Kickstarter campaign, but it became the focus rather than something to be worked on after SQ42 was delivered.

They also keep having to retool and spend more money. Again, because the project has been mismanaged from the start. They can't hit goals in a timely fashion to avoid having to do this. That's also what happens when you want your game to be the best everything when it comes out. Its not realistic, especially for games that take more than two or three years to develop.

Is there a real reason why CR hasn't been sued in to oblivion already?

Is there some ****ed up Stockholm syndrome at play here?

Is there a real reason why CR hasn't been sued in to oblivion already?

Is there some ****ed up Stockholm syndrome at play here?

Actually, I think it's because the law hasn't caught up with the times. Anyone who goes after him would probably incur far more cost than its worth in civil court. From a criminal standpoint, he's probably not broken the law. The game is crowdfunded and I believe CIG is a private entity. In short, there is nothing holding them accountable beyond the public outcry.

Actually, I think it's because the law hasn't caught up with the times. Anyone who goes after him would probably incur far more cost than its worth in civil court. From a criminal standpoint, he's probably not broken the law. The game is crowdfunded and I believe CIG is a private entity. In short, there is nothing holding them accountable beyond the public outcry.
So a legal ponzi, lol.

So a legal ponzi, lol.

In a sense, yes. Again, I don't think that was the original intent behind the Kickstarter. I think it was a matter of people getting unfettered access to large sums of money and mismanaging it and using it for personal gain. Effectively, Chris Roberts an Co. probably got side tracked by hookers and blow as they raked in more cash than they'd have really ever needed. After that, it became a game of keeping the gravy train rolling so they could keep living it up.

In a sense, yes. Again, I don't think that was the original intent behind the Kickstarter. I think it was a matter of people getting unfettered access to large sums of money and mismanaging it and using it for personal gain. Effectively, Chris Roberts an Co. probably got side tracked by hookers and blow as they raked in more cash than they'd have really ever needed. After that, it became a game of keeping the gravy train rolling so they could keep living it up.
It was really a test of morals and CR has failed miserably on it. I can't imagine what working at CIG feels like. When you know you are wasting your time on a lie. Where you goal is not to deliver a finished product but to keep a train rolling that becomes slower and slower every day, until eventually it will grind to a halt end everyone will be let go.

It was really a test of morals and CR has failed miserably on it. I can't imagine what working at CIG feels like. When you know you are wasting your time on a lie. Where you goal is not to deliver a finished product but to keep a train rolling that becomes slower and slower every day, until eventually it will grind to a halt end everyone will be let go.

It feels inevitable at this point. And sad really. There are people that drop most of their discretionary spending into backing this month after month. I feel sorry for them and truly hope I am wrong. I took my licks backing this 7 years ago. Never another dime. Ever.

CR has always needed someone kicking him in the *** to actually get a product out the door. He doesn't have that with this project and we are witnessing what happens when he is left to his own devices.

Speaking of failure and kickstarter... Feels like a thing of the past to me... I used to see so many articles on projects, now its nada... Weird.

Become a Patron!
Back