Christopher Nolan Explains Why Dialog in Oppenheimer May Be Hard to Hear

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Can't figure out what Cillian Murphy or any of his co-stars are saying in Oppenheimer? Director Christopher Nolan has now provided a potential reason as to why, telling Insider in a new interview that he doesn't bother with ADR—a traditional step in which actors are called back to provide new, and presumably clearer, dialog—during the post-production process for his films. Nolan explained that this is because he likes to use the actor's original performance. Another reason that dialog may be harder to hear in Oppenheimer is because of IMAX cameras, which can be noisy.

See full article...

I think it was the sound mixing. The only reason I couldn't hear an actor was the stupid amount of bass when people were speaking.
I mean way way way too much base when it was like a court scene or stressful conversation.

Could you imagine trying to watch a modern Batman movie on a classically bass heavy THX theater setup? You wouldn't be able to understand batman he would just be a talking cannon.

Maybe they needed to call Tom Hardy in as a consultant for the sound mixing crew. I seem to remember he's got some experience with Nolan regarding this issue.

Nolan movie with sound issues? I'm shocked, well not that shocked.

Become a Patron!
Back