Cryptominers Already Lining Up for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series?

You are completely missing the point. 'Real' money is not a product that you can manufacture at home. It is given in exchange for a service or goods. Value is what is valuable to society. It's not what I determine to be valuable. When you mine crypto you don't provide anything. It's not that it's not useful, it's detrimental.

Those are all end products with a purpose. You know having a clean ***, is beneficial to society, a lot of plagues can spread with feces, and you want everyone to walk around smelling like ****? Posting on forum, has the benefit of exchanging information, and even the opportunity to spread some sense, at least to those who care to listen.

That's your own projection. I don't even intend to buy 30xx series. The 3070 is a sidegrade, the 3080 has not enough VRAM, the 3090 is too big to fit in my case. I'm truly concerned about crypto, even if you can't believe that someone would be concerned about more than their own short term gains.

And don't call me a horse. :)

I didn't miss the point. Value is not limited to being valuable to society. Like art, it's value is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it. And Crypto IS valuable to society. People make money on it every day. It is a good, just as much as currency is. Which, by the way, is also traded.

Crypto, also, is an end product with a purpose.

And just because your intended use differs from someone else's, well, that's your opinionated problem. Just like it's my opinionated problem where I think it's a **** crime to let someone buy a car, like a Ferrari, only to add it to their collection and never drive it. While I feel that every car should be driven and enjoyed.

Not sure what is being talked about, I don't even think the miners will work with Ampere yet. Well I plan to pick one up and will let everyone know how good it mines, that is if it can. To get good Etherium hashrates with like the 1080Ti and 2080Ti you have to adjust the memory timings, otherwise they suck. DDR6x I would think would be even worst for latency. Then the 5700XT does better than 2080Ti. Anyways if Ampere is good at mining, most likely RNDA2 will do so as well. The good news is mining rewards are down because Crypto is down.

Not sure what is being talked about, I don't even think the miners will work with Ampere yet. Well I plan to pick one up and will let everyone know how good it mines, that is if it can. To get good Etherium hashrates with like the 1080Ti and 2080Ti you have to adjust the memory timings, otherwise they suck. DDR6x I would think would be even worst for latency. Then the 5700XT does better than 2080Ti. Anyways if Ampere is good at mining, most likely RNDA2 will do so as well. The good news is mining rewards are down because Crypto is down.
On that point, has anyone been talking about how much more power these cards use? You can only turn the power down so much before the card stops working.

I agree with that sentiment in general, though an argument can be made for everything crypto just being a giant ponzi scheme, and thus fraudulent, and fraud being illegal and all.

What the liked of Nvidia and AMD should do is what they did back in the day with their Quadros. The only thing the Quadro did that the normal GPU didn't was hardware antiaöiased lines, which the regular GPU didn't support.

If you needed hardware antialiased lines (for instance for CAD) you had to buy a Quadro, and the price went up by like a factor of 5.

Something similar should be done for mining on current GPU's. Sabotage hash rates in the driver and sell a special miners edition for $10k. :p
Considering how far into Quadro territory the 3090 is getting it'll be interesting to see if they let it have some of those features. I know a lot of places are calling it a Titan class card but really, if comparing to the last generation, it sits somewhere between Titan and Quadro. I also remember how 10-bit color wasn't supposed to be fully supported on the consumer cards but it seems like that line started getting blurry between Pascal and now, even before HDR10.

Can only imagine what this gen's Quadros are going to go for if they make 'em. Almost feels like they could somehow expand the DX1 into that segment but honestly, that tier is a bit beyond my common knowledge. That is, other than what I research for writing and reporting on. This will only be my 3rd gen of buying a top tier card at launch. Before that, I was very budget oriented for decades.

Considering how far into Quadro territory the 3090 is getting it'll be interesting to see if they let it have some of those features. I know a lot of places are calling it a Titan class card but really, if comparing to the last generation, it sits somewhere between Titan and Quadro. I also remember how 10-bit color wasn't supposed to be fully supported on the consumer cards but it seems like that line started getting blurry between Pascal and now, even before HDR10.

Can only imagine what this gen's Quadros are going to go for if they make 'em. Almost feels like they could somehow expand the DX1 into that segment but honestly, that tier is a bit beyond my common knowledge. That is, other than what I research for writing and reporting on. This will only be my 3rd gen of buying a top tier card at launch. Before that, I was very budget oriented for decades.
Remember that NVIDIA now has the "Creator Ready" driver for GeForce cards that enables hardware acceleration support for productive applications, including the lines in CAD mentioned above. 10-bit color support outside of fullscreen Vulkan and DirectX applications was really the only thing I know of that was missing on GeForce cards up until now.

Last edited:
VideoCardz posted some testing numbers. Seems like the hash:power ratio is not very profitable, so I don't think we have to worry about these cards being snatched up by miners. One user pointed out that you can get a higher hash rate with two 5700 cards at 180W than you can with one 3080 at 290W.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ethereum-daggerhashimoto-mining-performance

I was just discussing that with one of the desktop guys here that builds his own. I made the exact statement that the cost in power out weighs the gain in hash.

VideoCardz posted some testing numbers. Seems like the hash-to-power ratio is not very profitable, so I don't think we have to worry about these cards being snatched up by miners. One user pointed out that you can get a higher hash rate with two 5700 cards at 180W than you can with one 3080 at 290W.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ethereum-daggerhashimoto-mining-performance
There is some at light at the end of the tunnel and it doesn't look like a train. :)

There is some at light at the end of the tunnel and it doesn't look like a train. :)
Indeed. Only thing to watch out for is if Bitcoin price skyrockets again, which will get the normies who don't know anything about mining buying up every consumer card out there.

Boy, was that period in 2017 a laugh and a half. The best were people who started complaining on the internet after buying high that they blew all of their savings away or took out ridiculous loans to get on the hype train too late.

Indeed. Only thing to watch out for is if Bitcoin price skyrockets again, which will get the normies who don't know anything about mining buying up every consumer card out there.
I often flip/flop on whether or not to do it. Been thinking about it for years now but I just don't have equipment that would be profitable for it and I refuse to commit my new cards to it when I get them. That and factor in my summertime powerbills and it's out of the question.

Become a Patron!
Back