Cryptominers Have Begun Hoarding GeForce RTX 30 Series Laptops

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-series-laptop-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

As if the global shortage of Ampere desktop GPUs wasn’t bad enough, users on Chinese social media have begun sharing photos of cryptomining rigs that comprise stacks upon stacks of laptops equipped with NVIDIA’s new GeForce RTX 30 Series mobile GPUs for mining lucrative tokens such as Ether, which has enjoyed a meteoric rise of around 700 percent over the last year.

One such gallery submitted by Weibo user BTCer shows four different setups consisting of traditional shelving and tower racks, as well as rows of laptops stood vertically in an awkward but space-saving configuration. The implication here is that neither desktop nor mobile GeForce gamers will be spared from the frustration that comes with wanting to upgrade to NVIDIA’s modern Ampere products...

Continue reading...

I am surprised thst the US is fine with all of these mining farms in Iran. Thsts a surprising amount of scientific compute waiting the be appropriated for another purpose.

I predict a crypto crash of epic proportions, with a second hand market that will magnificently upset the computer market, new and used.

I am surprised thst the US is fine with all of these mining farms in Iran. Thsts a surprising amount of scientific compute waiting the be appropriated for another purpose.
Oofta! Not going there but I see what you mean.

I predict a crypto crash of epic proportions, with a second hand market that will magnificently upset the computer market, new and used.
Imagine all of those 3080 laptops hitting the market and needing warranty repair work in months!!
We've seen it before with the last crash. It'll also play a factor with manufacturers facing a market flooded with the used products when they try to market their current stack. It'll come back to bite them you-know-where after all this time of selling to bots.

Wait... people even do crypto-mining on f*cking laptops?!?!?!!

Seems to me that having many clients running on single cards with these mobile 3080's is actually BETTER than having 8 3080's on a single cpu/OS. So it's cheaper and better to run on a laptop.

(Pssst this is to throw miners off and not vetted)

Seems like only a month or so ago that I was speaking up about how powerful some of these RTX 30 series laptops are. Looks like some are taking it to the bank.

It's the American way.
Make money where you can.
And it really doesnt hurt anyone that we have a GPU shortage.

Become a Patron!
Back