Crysis Remastered Is Finally Coming to Steam

Crysis Warhead is indeed a good game. Much shorter than all the other Crysis games, but still very enjoyable. I got both Warhead and Crysis 1 each for $5 on GOG. I also own a physical copy of Warhead, which has that SecuROM 5-machine-activation bullsh1t. I also own Crysis 1 on Steam, but I always used to use my "community demo" of Crysis 1 for actually playing the game, cuz no SecuROM crap (or whatever copy protection it had). The GOG versions of both games are definitely my preferred versions to use.

Aaahhh, finally got to play through Crysis 1 huh? How did you feel about the sections of the game after the island froze over? That's usually where the game's appeal starts to drop off for me.

Like Peter recommended, definitely give Crysis Warhead a playthrough when you get a chance.

I don't know if I should even worry about spoilers in a 14 year old game, but for good measure...

I had heard people don't like that part, but honestly, it wasn't very long, so it didn't bother me. I agree it wasn't as fun as the rest of the game, but I blasted through it rather quickly.

The part that bothered me was the battle on the carrier.

I played through the game on Hard and found it a little too easy most of the time, but not enough to up to the highest difficulty level. (can't remember what they called it right now)

When I got to the first carrier battle with the huge spider thing, I must have died like 200 times. After the first 50 times I started researching if there was a trick to it that maybe I was missing. Others were saying that if you enable armor you can survive its main attacks (the big blast, being picked up and thrown and the freeze ray)

For me all three of these were insta-kills almost every time. The big blast depleted my armor and health even when behind cover. The pick-up and throw attack was a 90% kill rate, most of the time just dying upon landing, and the freeze ray is supposedly survivable, but ever time I got hit, I would get stuck, and was unable to break free by moving my mouse like the instructions stated, and would slowly die.

I tried many tactics including cloak (ineffective) and shield. In the end on my ~200th try I worked out a method to take it down, by hiding behind the far VTOL carcass, taking out the flying things as they came with the gauss gun, and pumping rockets into the thing one by one. The freeze ray wasn't able to reach me there. I could see the main blast attack coming and just run as far away from my position as possible and just barely survive it with armor on (down to single digit health) before recovering, and at that range, I was never picked up and thrown.

It still took several tries, but I was finally able to beat that thing.

By comparison, the final boss was super easy.

spoilers.png

Just wondering why you are running the game at this resolution and not the full 3840x2160.

To boost framerate a little.

As well as the Pascal Titan has served me over the years, it is no longer able to keep up with latest gen titles at 4k.

Letterboxing it like that, gets me ~30% better framerates, as there is less to render.

This is also how I made Deus Ex Mankind Divided work for me, as it was giving my Titan a hard time.

I prefer the full 4k resolution, but when the framerate is inadequate, I'd rather drop to a faux letterboxed ultrawide than either lower quality settings or drop the resolution and scale it up.

I tried running it at "High" instead of "Very High" and I found the reduction in quality was pretty bad, but the increase in performance was only marginal.

I hated that section for those reasons plus back in the day when I wasn't dying eventually it would crash on me. Talk about frustrating.

I still had that happen a couple of times with the remaster. The game is not 100% stable, but at least it sounds like it is better than it was back then as it only happened like 3 or 4 times in the entire game for me.

Once was just after I completed the final boss fight, which was annoying, so I had to replay it just to see the final cutscenes.

To boost framerate a little.

As well as the Pascal Titan has served me over the years, it is no longer able to keep up with latest gen titles at 4k.

Letterboxing it like that, gets me ~30% better framerates, as there is less to render.

This is also how I made Deus Ex Mankind Divided work for me, as it was giving my Titan a hard time.

I prefer the full 4k resolution, but when the framerate is inadequate, I'd rather drop to a faux letterboxed ultrawide than either lower quality settings or drop the resolution and scale it up.

I tried running it at "High" instead of "Very High" and I found the reduction in quality was pretty bad, but the increase in performance was only marginal.
I've heard of people doing that and occasionally have tinkered with the same for games that are just too demanding for the hardware I have. In a similar path of logic I planned the monitor for my new laptop that way. It has the 130w variant of the RTX 3070 so I paired it with a 21:9 2560x1080 29.5". It's worked out great. I can max most things and still get 60-140 fps, even with RT as along as I use DLSS or FSR. For games without those tricks all I have to do is turn down a few things to get the same performance.

I've heard of people doing that and occasionally have tinkered with the same for games that are just too demanding for the hardware I have. In a similar path of logic I planned the monitor for my new laptop that way. It has the 130w variant of the RTX 3070 so I paired it with a 21:9 2560x1080 29.5". It's worked out great. I can max most things and still get 60-140 fps, even with RT as along as I use DLSS or FSR. For games without those tricks all I have to do is turn down a few things to get the same performance.

Yeah, I came up with doing this back when I was running my 4k Samsung JS9000 TV, all the rage back in 2015.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was the first title that required it. At that point I didn't have any kind of G/Free-Sync so I just vsync:ed at a flatline 60fps all the time. MD was one tough beast though. First I discovered that I could letterbox it using custom resolutions, and decided to go for 3840x1646. This improved things significantly, but still wasn't sufficient to hit a constant 60fps, and it was annoying because it would frequently drop below 60fps, and then I would either get tearing (Nvidia's adaptive vsync setting) or it would drop to 30fps (standard vsync.)

Then I figured out that since the JS9000 was an international TV, it had support for European 50hz TV modes, so I altered the custom resolution to 3840x1646 @50hz, and finished that game v-synced at 50fps. It wasn't ideal, but it worked, and it beat the alternatives :p

Things are certainly a lot easier now that I have G/FreeSync, but on the flipside, there are fewer times when you feel really accomplished for coming up with a clever workaround :p

I don't even have a ray tracing or DLSS compatible video card, so I'd like to hope that wasn't the cause, but I didn't turn it off manually.

I presumed it would be intelligent to know not to use it when not supported, but I will try that.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Crysis Remastered uses Crytek's ray tracing method through the shader pipeline. It is not using DXR, so older video cards can still enable "ray tracing."

Crysis Remastered uses Crytek's ray tracing method through the shader pipeline. It is not using DXR, so older video cards can still enable "ray tracing."

Well, it caused the game to crash on first level load on my machine, and th egame loaded fine as soon as it was disabled, so I'd say it wasn't functional for me :p

Yeah, but at one point it was even crashing RTX cards. I can't remember when but it was right after one of the patches. I don't remember it being like that for very long though, I think they got a fix out within 24-48 hrs. I haven't checked the Steam forum to see how many are having the same issue but if there are more it could point to a version being the problem. I also remember there've been some NV drivers that have had issues in the last couple of years. Those of us with 3090s or 2080 Ti's have been mostly exempt but I've read some stuff for 3060/3070 users in the 'fixed issues' sections of the update notes. Crysis Remastered had a similar track with some GPU model specific issues here and there. What can I say except it's been a weird couple of years, even without the pandemic and supply issues? ;)

Become a Patron!
Back