Custom Build – Lian Li DK-05F Desk Computer (Part 1)

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
A few months back, we reported the launch of Lian Li’s DK-05F desk, an upgraded version of the DK-05. The Lian Li DK-05F Computer Desk is a unique beast of computer case built into an actual desk. We couldn’t resist ordering one once they became available and after a long wait (including a few week stop in Philly due to being put on the wrong truck in Los Angeles), it finally arrived.

For $2000, this is the ultimate desk workstation. We put together a custom build with this desk computer chassis for an ultimate high-end double computer build. In the video, we will show you the build process, our component choices, installation for one of the sides and in Part 2 we will show you the build process, component choices of the second side as well as it...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
****. Just the fan cables alone make me anxious. Nice case though. Complete overkill, but who cares?

Very cool! Can't wait for the next part. That thing looked huge on the pallet.

Awesome.

And speaking of Lian Li.. did anyone else catch their Digital Expo?

I've been in the market for a new case for some time now, and was >< this close on pulling the trigger on their 011 not long ago, but the new Lancool 2 mesh is looking really nice... and their new daisy chain fans they previewed in the past are finally coming out, so that's exciting.

That a nice case, but I'd rather the mesh had a removable filter. The Galahad looks nice also.

They have one at Microcenter with dual custom loop cooled machines in them. One AMD, and One Intel. I'd love to do this myself. I think I could easily top all the ones I've seen so far.

For real!
I have wanted to do this for a while but the budget will not allow.

Mine either. I've had to pay for home repairs, car stuff etc. I haven't had much in the budget for something like that. Although, I do have most of the hardware aside from the desk itself and a couple odds and end for a cooling loop.

Mine either. I've had to pay for home repairs, car stuff etc. I haven't had much in the budget for something like that. Although, I do have most of the hardware aside from the desk itself and a couple odds and end for a cooling loop.
Its the loop HW I do not have. I have almost everything else I would need minus that a reasonable case and a spare GPU.

Its the loop HW I do not have. I have almost everything else I would need minus that a reasonable case and a spare GPU.

I'd have to buy more stuff, but the desk is the biggest problem for me.

I've thought about this a few times. But it comes via truck and pallet.

Local MicroCenter has an open-box one for $500 off.

I've thought about this a few times. But it comes via truck and pallet.

Local MicroCenter has an open-box one for $500 off.

I've quite enjoyed the desk. Have a few things I'd want to see improved, mostly little things though.

I've been tempted more than once to build a desk rig - pretty sure I could do it for a lot less than $2000 (although looking better - that would be debatable, I am no carpenter). Not hard to get stuff at Home Depot that goes together without a whole lot of effort to make a decent desk; some standoffs and a nice glass tabletop to go over it all. If I didn't already have nice hardwood wrap-around desks in the home office I'd jump on that project.

I do have a spot under the window that has a filing cabinet that would be about the right size - 40" or so across, 18" deep.... maybe...

Just saw this, wow! Me likes. Desk with a 48" TV mounted on the wall or larger. Having monitors on top of desk meaning removal needed to get access I would not like, some VESA mounts for any monitors to keep them off the top I would do. Love the two motherboard configuration, that would suite me well and give much more room combining all of the components together like this.

Just saw this, wow! Me likes. Desk with a 48" TV mounted on the wall or larger. Having monitors on top of desk meaning removal needed to get access I would not like, some VESA mounts for any monitors to keep them off the top I would do. Love the two motherboard configuration, that would suite me well and give much more room combining all of the components together like this.

Desk is probably deeper than you'd want it for a wall mounted monitor behind it. The desk actually has mounting pads for up to 3 monitors, but you need to use smaller ones - my 49" CRG9 is a bit much for it. If you only used the center mount, then the glass top would come off without having to move the monitor. The left/right pads have you use some of the glass to clamp.

I have it parked in the corner of the office and I built a stand to attach the monitor arm to.

20200830_180023.jpg20200905_132527.jpg20200905_132533.jpg

Desk is probably deeper than you'd want it for a wall mounted monitor behind it. The desk actually has mounting pads for up to 3 monitors, but you need to use smaller ones - my 49" CRG9 is a bit much for it. If you only used the center mount, then the glass top would come off without having to move the monitor. The left/right pads have you use some of the glass to clamp.

I have it parked in the corner of the office and I built a stand to attach the monitor arm to.

View attachment 912View attachment 913View attachment 914
I am jealous of your monitor Sir!

View attachment 912View attachment 913View attachment 914

So, you think my Acer Predator CG437K is too much monitor for that?

So, you think my Acer Predator CG437K is too much monitor for that?

Internet says it weights 51 pounds, so absolutely too much. The CRG9 is about 25lbs, plus a high roller arm (Ergotron IIRC, about 15 pounds). The issue is not so much the actual weight of the monitor/arm, but the torque that it applies to the back of the case when the monitor is out over the desk. The entire backside's aluminum is not reinforced for that type of weight distribution (engineering/design oversight, I think). Lian Li's support suggested using the shorter arm mount pads that let you clamp it partially to the glass to resolve, which defeats the entire purpose of getting the glass on/off easier.

Of course, the downside of the arm is that I'd like to get about 2-3" more up/down vertical range as it's a little lower than I'd like it to be when standing, but would prefer to take that over it being too high when sitting. I'd much prefer it to raise/lower itself with the desk while attached.

Ninja edit: if you mean too much for the glass, no, it'd be fine sitting on the glass.

Become a Patron!
Back