Cyberpunk 2077 Gets Tested at 8K

Yeah some places will blow money on all kinds of random dumb stuff... but OMG if you even mention technology upgrades everyone starts hissing at you. My wife's workplace is like this... all rocking 10+ year old laptops with dead batteries and terrible old 20" monitors. Some people still have CRT monitors. They have infinite money to make logo branded grocery bags, t-shirts, coffee cups and worthless bluetooth speakers and all kinds of other useless trinket junk. But new computers? Never! Raises? Never!

Mine is the opposite... I've had my laptop 3 years and they were trying to make me take a new one. Then Covid happened.... they ended up buying a TON of laptops and were just handing them to people as needed to WFH. I don't believe they are leased, either... at least that would make some sense.
Yeah, I've been pushing for changes and they are slowly happening. COVID actually accelerated a bunch but it wasn't easy. Boss and board are understanding but it's been slow. On the plus side, every time something breaks, it does add ammo to my points. The downside is it still comes out of my time to get it fixed which isn't so much fun with all the other hats I wear. Ultimately though, just happy to be employed and doing work I don't hate myself for.

Yeah some places will blow money on all kinds of random dumb stuff... but OMG if you even mention technology upgrades everyone starts hissing at you. My wife's workplace is like this... all rocking 10+ year old laptops with dead batteries and terrible old 20" monitors. Some people still have CRT monitors. They have infinite money to make logo branded grocery bags, t-shirts, coffee cups and worthless bluetooth speakers and all kinds of other useless trinket junk. But new computers? Never! Raises? Never!

Mine is the opposite... I've had my laptop 3 years and they were trying to make me take a new one. Then Covid happened.... they ended up buying a TON of laptops and were just handing them to people as needed to WFH. I don't believe they are leased, either... at least that would make some sense.

It depends on the type of expense wether it is capital or operations expense. Working in IT for over... over.. **** almost 30 years now that is clear. If you can label a project as one of those two (and honestly I forget which one is which... I work in IT.) Getting it approved is EASY if your company is profitable. If it's the other it's like pulling freaking teeth. It all go's back to enterprise procurement and expense reporting rules.

It depends on the type of expense wether it is capital or operations expense. ... If you can label a project as one of those two (and honestly I forget which one is which... I work in IT.)

They get different benefits - Capital costs gets depreciation , OpEx is a deductible expense. Depends on how the company's balance sheet is looking as to which may be preferred at any time. ~Usually~ OpEx wins over CapEx - which is why if the two options cost is relatively the same, board rooms will vote to repair and maintain (or sign a operations lease agreement or punt everything to the cloud) rather than replace.

Each 3090 is, what, 350-375 watts?
Here's some guy's water-cooled 3090
20201210_015413.jpg

:- )

624 watts of power for a 3090 ALONE?! that sounds insane.

624 watts of power for a 3090 ALONE?! that sounds insane.
Not really. That is the K|NGP|N Hybrid from EVGA, which comes with a 520W TDP out of the box. You can increase the power limit on the card to 120%, which would push total possible power draw up to 624W.

Not really. That is the K|NGP|N Hybrid from EVGA, which comes with a 520W TDP out of the box. You can increase the power limit on the card to 120%, which would push total possible power draw up to 624W.
If you're buying Kingpins, you know what you're getting yourself into as well, and aren't probably trying to cram 2 in the same host.

This one that costs $2000? Crikey!

I much would rather an increase in visuals at 4K instead of this race towards 8K.
8K for movies and film I do not mind at all.

Become a Patron!
Back