Ghost of Tsushmia (PS4) - all I can say is WOW

Burticus

FPS Junkie
On sale right now for $39!

I got this for Xmas. I didn't want to buy any more PS4 games personally with PS5 looming, but gifts are A-OK :)

Anyway, I played for about 5 hours yesterday, on my old launch model PS4. Looks like today's football schedule is garbage, so might get some more in today.

WOW! Just WOW! How did Sucker Punch pull this off on a 7+ year old console? It looks AMAZING. And this is coming from a PCMR person. It just looks... alive. Everything flows with the wind and moves. The little foxes that pop up to show you where shrines are hidden. The combat. If you showed this to people who didn't know it was a PS4 game, they would surely think it's next gen. The story is good, the voice acting is good. Part of me wishes I had chosen to play in Japanese with subtitles, but I just didn't want to read subtitles all the time on a 20-40 hour game.

This is the first game I have played that really nails HDR. The sun rays, sunsets, the lighting at night, just super cool.

The combat is deceptively tough even on wimp mode (easy). I need to work on my block/dodge/parry better. You can't just jump into a crowd and start slashing, that is the path to repeat death.

Anyone who has a PS4 and hasn't seen this is missing out. Go get it. I typically don't love open world games, but so far it's all good.

If I have to gripe... it certainly seems like there is always "stuff" flying around. Leaves, etc. I mean like always. It looks cool but I find it a little odd. Who knows, maybe that's the way it was back in 500 AD or whenever. No one with leaf blowers cleaning up, LOL.

1609096127863.png

A friend finished the game some months ago (he absolutely loved it), and gave me his copy to hold on to indefinitely not too long ago. I've only put a few hours into it myself. It's definitely a priority as far as games go, though. Thanks for the info on the game, sounding good so far. Quite the difference between their PS4 launch title Infamous: Second Son, and this game. They literally spent all 8th-generation pounding away on this game, and the efforts show. I originally got into Sucker Punch due to the Sly Cooper series on PS2, but I enjoyed the Infamous games too. 2 much more than 1. Second Son was okay. In 2013 I was over in Bellevue, WA for my lil bro's college graduation, and we visited Sucker Punch. Or tried to. They take up the entire second floor in their building, and the elevator won't even let you pick their floor unless you have a special access key or card or whatever.

If I have to gripe... it certainly seems like there is always "stuff" flying around. Leaves, etc. I mean like always. It looks cool but I find it a little odd. Who knows, maybe that's the way it was back in 500 AD or whenever. No one with leaf blowers cleaning up, LOL.
The problem was, fuel for the leaf blowers cost too much, so only the most powerful elite had access to them. Electric ones weren't available way back then.

I really wanted to play this game but given its a PS4 exclusive and I don't have one, that's never going to happen. Hopefully it ends up on PC at some point.

Hopefully it ends up on PC at some point.
Ever since HZD ended up on PC, I been wondering about that happening with more Sony-owned games. If I had known HZD was coming to PC 3 years later, I never would have played it on PS4 (where I struggled with the aiming and had to deal with 30fps). At least I played it for free, since I was borrowing the game (I did later buy it for $10 after I got my own PS4). Since I don't usually grab consoles until late in their lives, I'm hoping that gives me a chance to see if upcoming Sony exclusives end up coming to PC as the 9th-generation wears on. It would be awesome if I could still play games like God of War 5, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, and Horizon Forbidden West on PC, without needing to purchase a PS5.

I really wanted to play this game but given its a PS4 exclusive and I don't have one, that's never going to happen. Hopefully it ends up on PC at some point.

If the PS5 ever becomes like... available for normal humans to purchase... I suspect you could pick up a used PS4 pretty cheap.

In the old debt laden ramen noodle days.... I would buy used last gen consoles on the cheap when the new ones came out. 360 got launched, got a used xbox. PS4 launched, got a PS3. etc. Great way to do it on the cheap and focus on the exclusive games you missed out on. And used games are cheap on gamefly sales, ebay, etc

If the PS5 ever becomes like... available for normal humans to purchase... I suspect you could pick up a used PS4 pretty cheap.

In the old debt laden ramen noodle days.... I would buy used last gen consoles on the cheap when the new ones came out. 360 got launched, got a used xbox. PS4 launched, got a PS3. etc. Great way to do it on the cheap and focus on the exclusive games you missed out on. And used games are cheap on gamefly sales, ebay, etc

I like to buy consoles when they are first launched rather than late in their life span. It gives me the most time to get my money out of it. Additionally, I'm a graphics whore so I like things to look as good as they possibly can. While I want to play Ghost of SushiRoll, I am not about to spend the money on either a used PS4 or a new PS5. A console has to have a few games I'm interested in for me to want to buy one. That rarely happens. If there is a PC version of something, I tend to buy it over the console version for several reasons.

I like to buy consoles when they are first launched rather than late in their life span. It gives me the most time to get my money out of it. Additionally, I'm a graphics whore so I like things to look as good as they possibly can. While I want to play Ghost of SushiRoll, I am not about to spend the money on either a used PS4 or a new PS5. A console has to have a few games I'm interested in for me to want to buy one. That rarely happens. If there is a PC version of something, I tend to buy it over the console version for several reasons.

Think of it like a rental. You buy a used PS4 for $200ish, buy and play the 20ish exclusives, then return it all to the ebay wilderness for someone else to enjoy... or keep it and use it as a netflix streamer or something

Well I just finished the campaign. I cried like a child. I don't think I've had emotional attachments like that since Last Of Us. Sad face :(

One of the best 5 games I have played in my life EVER

Gimme some lotto numbers off your crystal ball, man....

Finally started playing through GoT. About 20 hours into it so far. I'm feelin' it. Wish I was playing on PS5, or better yet on PC, cuz on PS4 Pro I'm stuck at 30fps.

Finally started playing through GoT. About 20 hours into it so far. I'm feelin' it. Wish I was playing on PS5, or better yet on PC, cuz on PS4 Pro I'm stuck at 30fps.

Dude sometimes I would park Jin in a field, or on a cliff, and just stare at the nature. Amazing looking game.

I played on a launch PS4, so a Pro might be smoother in areas like huge battles which cause some FPS dips. But even at 30 I never felt like it was bad 95% of the time. I wonder what it would look like in 4K/60 (if even possible) on PS5. I'll probably go back and do Legends mode at some point, unless it's co-op only then I'm boned... I can barely schedule a phone call with my friends much less have time to play a game.

Another thing amazing about Ghost... the load times! As in, they are not bad at all! I went from Ghost to playing Control and the load times on that game and making me crazy, even on an SSD

Dude sometimes I would park Jin in a field, or on a cliff, and just stare at the nature. Amazing looking game.
I do that in quite a lot of games, and I am most definitely doing it often here. Been taking mad screenshots too. Yet another game that makes me sad I am playing on a 37" Samsung B650 from 2009. I really need a new HDTV. A friend of mine just got an LG CX OLED TV. I wish I could check it out but he lives in SanFran. Still, he's been telling me all about it, and it sounds so f*cking awesome. Last year I was eyeing both the LG CX and the Samsung Q80T, but then I had to buy a new PC monitor when my previous one died after 9 years, so that plus lending money to family (and also Christmas shopping) kinda put a stop to my plans for a new HDTV. But one day, it'll happen. I'm long overdue.

Another thing amazing about Ghost... the load times! As in, they are not bad at all!
Dude, I have no f*cking idea how they do it!! Compared to playing HZD and GoW4 on the PS4 Pro, the load times are ridiculously fast. The fast-travel load times feel almost SATA SSD fast! It's really amazing to be playing a console game running off an HDD and yet experience such fast load times. Mad props to Sucker Punch there.

Well I just finished the campaign. I cried like a child. I don't think I've had emotional attachments like that since Last Of Us. Sad face :(

One of the best 5 games I have played in my life EVER
I just beat Ghost of Tsushima's main story campaign. Save file time says 57 hours and 33 minutes. This ended up being my second favorite game on PS4 (after God of War 4), and one of my top games of the 8th generation. I had a blast going through this game. I really enjoyed my time with it. Just a great f*cking experience. About 60 hours is a good length. It did not feel short, but it did not overstay its welcome. I am satisfied, and I never felt fatigued. The game managed to completely hold my attention from somewhere between 10-13 hours in, until now. One of those games that I am very glad I got to experience in my life. Sly Cooper 2 will probably remain my favorite Sucker Punch game, but GoT is definitely the best game they have ever made so far. They've really outdone themselves. The polish, quality, and attention to detail was amazing. You can really tell they spent all of last generation making it. I definitely count it as one of my must-have games for the system.

I did not 100% the game, but I'd like to believe I'm somewhere above 80%, maybe even 90%. I had two enemy strongholds left to clear out in the 3rd area when I beat the game, which I handled after the credits, but I don't know if I will bother to get everything, such as finding all the hot springs, haiku spots, fox dens and fox shrines, pillars of honor, maxing out carrying capacity for stuff you throw or shoot, fully upgrading all the armors, finding all the mongol artifacts & Sashimono banners & records & singing crickets, etc. I did all the shrines though (the ones that require platforming and climbing to get to), and I did all the quests in the game.

A console has to have a few games I'm interested in for me to want to buy one. That rarely happens.
My usual rule is a console needs to have at least 5 must-have exclusives before I consider getting that console. Also it's real hard to get me to spend more than $300 on a console. I usually get consoles late in their generation to allow time for price drops, the ironing out of any issues with earlier hardware, and improvements to their game libraries. After 8th-gen consoles got mid-generation upgrades, I expect the same to happen for 9th-gen consoles, so yet another reason for me to grab consoles late.

If there is a PC version of something, I tend to buy it over the console version for several reasons.
Same here. Now that I know Sony is willing to put some of their games on PC, I'll definitely be keeping a lookout in the future. I can wait a few years after a game launches on console if need be. HZD came to PC 3 years after it came out on PS4, so I should wait at least that long per game. If I can avoid having to buy a PS5 altogether that would be pretty sweet. I only played GoT on PS4 cuz a friend gave me his copy after he was done with it. My brother still hopes to play GoT on PC, along with God of War 4 and other PS4 games he hasn't gotten around to yet.

Yeah, I can't wait for this to make its way to PC.
After this thread full of grown men crying... me too being a grown man that cries!

I'm also waiting on a GPU to become available... moving up to the AW3821DW (hopefully delivering today, Fedex is already a day late) is going to get me real antsy to put on my @Dan_D hat and crank the visuals :D

Become a Patron!
Back