GIGABYTE AORUS PCIe 4.0 7300 SSD Announced with Up to 7,300 MB/s Read Speed

Yeah, we should probably migrate this over but wth disk did you get that RND4K score with?

That's the MSI Spatium M570 Pro 2TB drive - PCIe 5 on a Phison controller. I'll have more info up in the PCIe5 roundup that I have in the works (and/or the MSI write up I need to do).

That's the MSI Spatium M570 Pro 2TB drive - PCIe 5 on a Phison controller. I'll have more info up in the PCIe5 roundup that I have in the works (and/or the MSI write up I need to do).
Wow... pCIE5 with that controller is crazy... just bonkers fast. Looking forward to that review!

Is this the right thread for posting these benchmarks?
View attachment 2197
Ramdisk?

I used to use one of those back in the day. I had 64GB of RAM in ~2014 when that was even more overkill than it is today.
I used to to load up the entirety of Red Orchestra 2 into RAM before launching, because that game was unusually sensitive to load times.

In RO2 the majority of players on a team are riflemen with single shot bolt action rifles. The Call of Duty kids always wanted to take the squad leader and commander roles because they wanted to run and gun with the submachine guns, but when they did so they would sabotage the entire team and cause a guaranteed loss.

RO2 is/was (it's mostly dead now, but you can still find an active server to play on at certain times of the day) one of those games that was highly dependent on everyone playing their specific roles, or a team would lose a map. The squad leaders need to focus on spotting artillery coordinates and providing them to the commander. Squad leads also serve as "mobile spawn points" for their squad allowing them to get in and secure territory.

Commanders need to stay at their radio, call out strategy, select artillery strikes, and coordinate the assault/defense for success. (for instance, get everyone to line up in preparation for an attack, drop artillery behind enemy lines to prevent their reinforcements, and coordinate the team charging in at the right time in order to take territory.

In defensive maps, even having the machinegunner class be competent and take their defensive position at key choke points is absolutely crucial to a team win.

Heck, even the basic riflemen were key. You needed them to get in and seize territory rather than sneaking around the map far away from the action playing super-sniper, but if you lose a few of them to stupid stuff, it wasn't quite as critical.

Anyway, before I joined 2.Fjg and actually had admin rights so I could warn people to play their roles appropriately, or get kicked (which was effective, because we had the biggest and most popular server in the U.S. at the time and everyone wanted in, so it was almost constantly full, except like 4am) the strategy was to - at the beginning of a new map - get it to load as fast as humanly possible so those of us who knew what we were doing could get in first, and claim the critical roles before some Call of Modern Battlefield player joined and snapped them up and ruined the game for everyone else.

Ramdisks were - for me - a critical part of this equation.

This was in the DDR3 era though, so the numbers were nowhere near as impressive as above.

RO2 was a mix of very frustrating but occasionally very rewarding when you got a good team who knew what they were doing and all played for game objectives. Most of the time it was like herding kittens, getting on voice comms and pleading with people to do what needed to be done in order to win. The team with the most persuasive people to get the noobs to play for game objectives was the team to win.

Is this the right thread for posting these benchmarks?

Ahh, ignore my RAMDISK comments.

Big numbers indeed. Very impressive.

Notably the 4KRND Q1T1 results are still slower than the 980 Pro. And the more I play with SSD's the more convinced I become that this is the metric that really matters more than any other.

Hey folks, we probably need to move this discussion over to a more appropriate thread. I know, I'm as guilty as anyone for taking a topic off the track, so I went ahead and created an SSD CrystalDiskMark sub-thread in data storage. If anyone wants to help in copying theirs, or others' data over there that would be great but if not lets at least try to carry on over there.

Hey folks, we probably need to move this discussion over to a more appropriate thread. I know, I'm as guilty as anyone for taking a topic off the track, so I went ahead and created an SSD CrystalDiskMark sub-thread in data storage. If anyone wants to help in copying theirs, or others' data over there that would be great but if not lets at least try to carry on over there.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

I tend to get inspired and carried away in replying to posts that interest me and move the conversations off topic (something that has caused me rules violations on the Hardforums in the past) so I apologize for contributing to this.

Do we want to move the relevant posts over there, to avoid contaminating the discussion around this news story?

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

I tend to reply to posts and move the conversations off topic (something that has caused me rules violations on the Hardforums in the past) so I apologize for contributing to this.

Do we want to move the relevant posts over there, to avoid contaminating the discussion around this news story?
If you have the time to move that would be nice but don't stress over it. I'd do it right now but I'm at my other job right now but I could move go through the thread this weekend.

No worries on going off topic. I'm really bad about it too.

If you have the time to move that would be nice but don't stress over it. I'd do it right now but I'm at my other job right now but I could move go through the thread this weekend.

No worries on going off topic. I'm really bad about it too.

I would, but I don't think I have admin access :p

Become a Patron!
Back