"Godfather" Director Francis Ford Coppola Calls Marvel Movies "Despicable"

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Martin Scorsese isn't the only auteur who thinks Disney's cashcow is tasteless. According to fellow filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola ("Godfather," "Apocalypse Now"), who received the prestigious Prix Lumière film award in France over the weekend, Scorsese's comment on Marvel movies being "not cinema" was spot on. In fact, he thinks they're "despicable."

"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration.

"I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again," the 80-year-old filmmaker said.

"Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."

Not sure why the old timers are suddenly hating on these lighter fare movies. The "Summer Blockbuster" or "Popcorn Flicks" have been around since Jaws, and there's still a market available for more "enlightened films" today.

I do agree they're becoming redundant (far too many sequels or attempts at 'universe building'), but I wouldn't go and say they're "not cinema".

Meh.

Is the fact that lots of grown *** men are fawning over superhero movies a little silly? Certainly.

Despicable seems a bit strong though.

There should be room in cinema for some light and fun films. If everything were a Citizen Kane it would get boring in a hurry.

Not sure why the old timers are suddenly hating on these lighter fare movies. The "Summer Blockbuster" or "Popcorn Flicks" have been around since Jaws, and there's still a market available for more "enlightened films" today.

I do agree they're becoming redundant (far too many sequels or attempts at 'universe building'), but I wouldn't go and say they're "not cinema".

Likely because it interferes with the funding and distribution of their projects. Disney alone saturates the market. Without cutting back, absent a total bomb, they are already cannibalizing their own box office returns. Warner, Universal, Paramount, etc are trying to fight that juggernaut and not die off. They aren't doing it by indulging these guys.

They also ran around badmouthing the likes of Netflix, and now find that's where they have a viable market to do what they want.

If Iron Man were still alive .. he'd punch that guy in the mouth! :geek:

Funny how these directors want to blame Marvel/Disney, and the super hero genre, for the lack of availability to show their pieces but don't acknowledge the years prior to their releases. With the exception of Avatar most non comic related IP's have not done well in the last 10+ years. Hollywood has reported numerous times,in the last decade, about slumping ticket sales only to be revived when a MCU movie got released. Where were these director's blockbuster masterpieces then? There have been many times a new and original film, "exploring the human condition", was released at a time it didn't have to compete and still flopped. I'm not saying that the MCU is the pinnacle of art just saying that it's a long ways from the primary reason these directors can't find success for their recent projects. The mass public simply has wanted something different for a long time now. The wheel will keep spinning and eventually something else will take hold.

Become a Patron!
Back