HBO Max Gets 4K HDR Update Ahead of Wonder Woman 1984’s Christmas Release

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-hero-image-1024x576.jpg
Image: Warner Bros.

Warner Bros.’ next superhero blockbuster, Wonder Woman 1984, is set to debut on HBO Max in just a few days. In order to prep subscribers for its high-def presentation, WarnerMedia has begun rolling out an update (via Android Police) that finally brings 4K UHD, HDR, and Dolby Atmos support to its streaming app for select devices.

“We’re bringing holiday cheer with this update,” a blurb reads. “HBO Max will now support 4K UHD, HDR, and Dolby Atmos on select devices and titles. We’ll be releasing even more 4K UHD titles throughout...

Continue reading...

Whoo-hoo! Been hoping for this. Can't wait to test on our various tv/boxes to see which ones got all the new features and which content got upgraded. Despite the list showing Android, I've seen how various Android T.V's don't always get the same support(OS-manufacturer related I'm sure). That's o.k. though, I've got a shield for the ones that don't.

Just watched it via Shield on our LG C9. 4K DV/Atmos confirmed and fun flick. So far I haven't noticed anything else getting upgraded(yet) but I'll keep my hopes up. As one of the few people who had a DCU account, I can tell you most of their content started as 4K HDR10/5.1 but got downgraded to 1080p when it was merged with HBO Max so I'm hoping it gets restored. Titans, Stargirl, and Doom Patrol really looked great at 4K.

Looked good on the lowly B7... and confirmed that you can have HBO on Amazon and use that to log in to HBO Max. Had to find that out because WW1984 wasn't showing up on HBO's Amazon channel.

Looked good on the lowly B7... and confirmed that you can have HBO on Amazon and use that to log in to HBO Max. Had to find that out because WW1984 wasn't showing up on HBO's Amazon channel.
This was how I watched it as well. I didn’t have a streaming device that HBO Max would push HD, just a lowly PS4 (not that I would have got 4K HDR with my podunk internet anyway).

Become a Patron!
Back