HDMI 2.1 Receivers Can’t Pass 4K/120 Hz Content from NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs and Xbox Series X Due to Major Chipset Bug

It's all software, and since it has to be decoded by the receiver, there can be processing lag there too, on top of those codecs all being lossy (and ancient).

I'll say that it's not a bad way to do things if the latency doesn't impact what you're doing, it's just almost completely obsoleted with HDMI.
Unless the HDMI issues screw everything up or make things more complicated. Sort of like what is happening regarding the article subject and this is far from the first time we've seen HDMI issues.

I definitely wouldn't mind a new optical standard. At worst I have to attach and extra cord but have few or no issues at all. That sounds a lot better than trying to mess with so many HDMI incompatibilities, bugs and workarounds. Plugging in a simple audio cable and have everything work seems to be a much more elegant solution.

I definitely wouldn't mind a new optical standard. At worst I have to attach and extra cord but have few or no issues at all. That sounds a lot better than trying to mess with so many HDMI incompatibilities, bugs and workarounds. Plugging in a simple audio cable and have everything work seems to be a much more elegant solution.
I just want HDMI to universally support audio only transport :)

Someone is going to be in for a fun time with the new consoles, neither of which have toslink anymore. Everything going HDMI has been a benefit and a curse. It makes wiring so much easier, but you are left with limitations.

I have a 1999 era Yamaha in my office. Toslink is as good as that one gets. Otherwise it's just as good sounding an amp as the 2016 model in my living room.

My living room AVR doesn't do EARC, that is supposed to be a HDMI 2.1 thing. It will support ARC I just have never tried it. I guess I will be doing that if I get a new TV and PS5 for Xmas.
I still use my ancient Logitech Z-5500 speakers, which I used TOSLINK to connect my console audio. I am a little peeved that the PS5 got rid of it, as those speakers are still outstanding.

I just want HDMI to universally support audio only transport :)
Yeah, that'd be nice. Worst thing I've encountered with using 2 HDMI ports is some games will randomly just switch over for no known reason. Pisses me off to no end as usually happened in the middle of a fight or battle. Sometimes after a restart it'll happen also but that's what I was saying in towards the beginning of this thread. HT issues have been around long before HDMI 2.1.

Short for "pants-on-head retarded." I can't remember the last time I heard that phrase used. I think I was still in high school :ROFLMAO:.

Well, that's a first one for me. Never heard it before. Maybe a regional thing? Or possibly some cultural reference I missed out on.

I still use my ancient Logitech Z-5500 speakers, which I used TOSLINK to connect my console audio. I am a little peeved that the PS5 got rid of it, as those speakers are still outstanding.

Well they do make the little HDMI breakout converters that strip out audio and have rca/toslink output. But who knows how 4k or lag friendly they are.

Like so, this one isn't too expensive but some of them are. It says 4k/60 anyway. Never used one personally but I might have to soon.

Well they do make the little HDMI breakout converters that strip out audio and have rca/toslink output. But who knows how 4k or lag friendly they are.

Like so, this one isn't too expensive but some of them are. It says 4k/60 anyway. Never used one personally but I might have to soon.

[/URL]
Thanks, I'll take a look. I've thought about just doing TOSLINK from my TV to the control pod to get audio, but I have to check if my C8 supports bitstream audio for surround sound over optical. I also need to find a cable long enough to do it.

Short for "pants-on-head retarded." I can't remember the last time I heard that phrase used. I think I was still in high school :ROFLMAO:.
Haha, I didnt know the origin, but yes it started at school and having lived all over the country (England) I found it commonly references something not so good/pretty poor.

Haha, I didnt know the origin, but yes it started at school and having lived all over the country (England) I found it commonly references something not so good/pretty poor.
And then, you have to take it with British sarcasm, so that it means the exact opposite!

I also need to find a cable long enough to do it.
How long you need?
12-15 foot under $10

This one looks fancy with it's gold plating and it's $8.50 for 15 ft. I don't "need" another toslink, but I think I might just have to buy one of those. For "reasons".

Jeez I remember spending like $30+ on a 6 foot monster toslink back in the 90's. I still use it on my PS4, and it's not nearly as fancy as that last one

I just checked out the ports on the TV I most likely to buy, the Sony X900H and it has a toslink output. So if I do need to do a direct from device to TV, bypassing the AVR, and can still loop back to it without using ARC if I have to. I like having options.

Looks like this got fixed for everything except the Xbox

Awesome news! In other but similar, but not good, I found out last weekend when testing a new HDMI 2.1 cable on my LG C9 that not all the ports are giving full bandwidth. Pretty sure these models are all supposed to. Basically I was getting digital noise(images ghosting across the screen) in anything above 1440p. Tried every cable I've got and had the same issue. Switched ports and all was good and back to 4K/120 Hz/G-Sync/12-bit goodness. Heck, I was even able to do all that in 4096x2160 as well. Just a heads up for those who have HDMI 2.1 issues between their PC(3080/3090 GPU) and an LG that it might be the port not the cable. I've even got the latest 5.0.0.3 firmware. Plugged my older Sony 4K-Dolby Vision player in that port and it's happy so no real loss there.

Awesome news! In other but similar, but not good, I found out last weekend when testing a new HDMI 2.1 cable on my LG C9 that not all the ports are giving full bandwidth. Pretty sure these models are all supposed to. Basically I was getting digital noise(images ghosting across the screen) in anything above 1440p. Tried every cable I've got and had the same issue. Switched ports and all was good and back to 4K/120 Hz/G-Sync/12-bit goodness. Heck, I was even able to do all that in 4096x2160 as well. Just a heads up for those who have HDMI 2.1 issues between their PC(3080/3090 GPU) and an LG that it might be the port not the cable. I've even got the latest 5.0.0.3 firmware. Plugged my older Sony 4K-Dolby Vision player in that port and it's happy so no real loss there.
Do you have HDMI HD Ultra Deep Color enabled on the port you tried plugging your PC into? I think it also needs to be set to PC mode.

Do you have HDMI HD Ultra Deep Color enabled on the port you tried plugging your PC into? I think it also needs to be set to PC mode.
Yep. DItto on both. Game mode enabled as well. I think there's probably something wrong with the port. There's 4 ports, 1 for ARC that I'm using with our reciever(sends Atmos no problem BTW). 3 are on the side and one behind. The one behind is the only one I haven't tried since I have our cable box plugged into it. I might end up using that one for a Shield or PC and swapping the cable box to the receiver. Probably won't do it until next weekend because I want to have some quality time with CB2077 this weekend instead of troubleshooting.

Just gonna add that used to this with older 2.0 t.v.'s. Seen more than a few that state only specific ports got full bandwidth but AFAIK the C9 isn't supposed to be like that which also makes me wonder if something's up with the port.

Just gonna add that used to this with older 2.0 t.v.'s. Seen more than a few that state only specific ports got full bandwidth but AFAIK the C9 isn't supposed to be like that which also makes me wonder if something's up with the port.
Looking around we only have LG's word on all 4 ports having the full bandwidth, but I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to not be true. Rtings never updated their review about it even though it looks like they have a 3000-series card on hand now. Don't know if anybody else with a 9-series OLED has had similar experience.

Become a Patron!
Back