HP Blocks Third-Party Ink with Printer Firmware Update

It is true that they aren't the best for photo printing, but they also aren't as terrible as many think.
I don't think, I know. Besides owning a laser, I used multiple hiend laser printers at work, printing photos at the thousands, where quality was of no concern. They are awful at printing photos. Now your standard for what's awful might be different than mine, but if I'm going to own a printer this quality won't do for me.
And honestly, IMHO it is a fools errand to try to print photos at home.
Why would it be a fools errand? I've been doing it for 20 years. I'm not talking about hundreds of photos / month, only a few / year to put on a drawer in a frame or to give to family.
Just take them to a professional, or at least one of those printing booths at your local pharmacy. You'll be dealing with all the problems of ink printers, and still get worse results than you would on a professional photo printer.
The exact point of owning a printer is that you don't have to go out to have something printed. I have a 16 year old printer and if I use proper photo paper the printouts are indistinguishable from professionally developed photographs. To be frank I can't even tell the difference between high quality and normal quality printout unless I look at it with a magnifying glass. The only downside is that when exposed to sun they fade a bit sooner. But the great thing is that I can always make a new one.
My take is - however - that it is perfectly serviceable from a photo perspective. You just won't get the glossy photo paper result. But even those on an ink-jet are going to suck compared to the real deal from a proper photo printer.
First you argue that you need to take photos to "professionals" to have a good result, then say the laserjet printout is fine. Make up your mind, you can't have it both ways. To me this quality is not fine. Laser printers can't even print on glossy photo paper, which automatically DQs them from this usage case.

First you argue that you need to take photos to "professionals" to have a good result, then say the laserjet printout is fine. Make up your mind, you can't have it both ways. To me this quality is not fine. Laser printers can't even print on glossy photo paper, which automatically DQs them from this usage case.

What I meant is it is perfectly serviceable for the type of photos I'd print at home. For anything I would put in a frame or a photo album (do people still use those?) however, I'd use a professional printer. It' only costs a little bit and it saves a lot of headache.

Why would it be a fools errand? I've been doing it for 20 years. I'm not talking about hundreds of photos / month, only a few / year to put on a drawer in a frame or to give to family.

The exact point of owning a printer is that you don't have to go out to have something printed. I have a 16 year old printer and if I use proper photo paper the printouts are indistinguishable from professionally developed photographs. To be frank I can't even tell the difference between high quality and normal quality printout unless I look at it with a magnifying glass. The only downside is that when exposed to sun they fade a bit sooner. But the great thing is that I can always make a new one.

I don't disagree that they can look good when everything goes right, but if you haven't use d the printer for a while, you might have a clogged nozzle, or the printouts may otherwise turn out streaky. You can use a self cleaning routine, but that usually just consumes a ton of ink, and isn't always successful (and sometimes makes a mess)

Once you consider everything you are spending on glossy paper, ink, (and to a lesser extent the printer itself) it is simpler and probably cheaper to just go down the block to CVS and print on their professional machines or use one of the many online services to order prints.

Inkjet printers just aren't worth the headache in my experience. I got my first one (A HP Desk Jet PLUS) in like ~1993, inheriting it from my dad (not because he died, but be cause he stopped using it). He probably bought it in 1989 when it came out.

DeskJetPlus_1989-PromoPhoto-23.jpg

HP Promotional Photo. None of these people are me or my family :p

It allowed me to print out my homework, but I've hated inkjet printers ever since, and I've had several of them before wising up and just buying lasers.

We've also got one of these and it too is a real tank. The price of the combo packs hurt a bit but even with moderate office use they last about 6+ months. Pretty good quality as well.

HP LaserJet Pro 400 color Printer (M451dn)

1678825961072.png

I'm sure I've mentioned in our other printer threads but the two brands I won't buy again are Brother and Lexmark. Wife and I got a inkjet Brother back in XP days and the da** thing would wake up in the middle of the night to clean itself and usually used up its ink long before we ever printed anything and it was still clogging all the time on top of that. Not long after I took a chance on a Lexmark and that pos installed spyware that I had to manually hunt down and remove, on the same XP system. I'm also a bit skeptical about Cannon as I took a chance for one of our offices with a fax/copier/printer/scanner and it would block all functions, including just scanning or faxing if it ran out of toner. The GUI is a PIA to boot. The scanner would get dirty just by looking at it. I swear we were lucky if we got 10 pages scanned before lines started appearing. I had such high hopes for that thing.

We had one of these and I was so bummed when it died.
HP Photosmart C5500
1678826744258.png

This isn't mine but you can see it has a lot going on. Slots for photo paper, plus a tray insert that lets you print color images onto compatible CD/DVDs. Overall we were really happy with it. Eventually, the proprietary power brick died but it must've been sending surges to the printer beforehand because even after getting 2 others the thing could never POST again. It would just show some garbled random errors and shutdown. I still miss that thing but we at least got a few good years out of it. We ended up replacing it with another HP AIO, I don't remember the model # but when that thing dies I'll be getting a laserjet and hopefully calling it good until the end.

I was just thinking fujitsu or Xerox.. I wonder...

https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...Yw83IEENUFM8UseviDoaAg1WEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's kinda a tempting device... It's Xerox so I have a bit more trust in it lasting... because of name brand. Might be naming myself a fool.
So hard to say anymore. Especially with MFPs. They are where I've had the worst luck overall. That Cannon I mentioned was/is an MFP but at this point it's basically a backup scanner/printer after all the grief it gave.

It allowed me to print out my homework, but I've hated inkjet printers ever since, and I've had several of them before wising up and just buying lasers.
Yup. I owned exactly one inkjet, way back when it replaced a dot matrix printer. Every time I went to print something out, it would have a clogged nozzle or dried ink. And if I did get a page to print out, the page would be soggy and you'd have to let it set and dry before you could handle it. I hated it.

Now, maybe they have come a long way in like the 30 years since I last owned one... but every now and then I get asked to look at an in-laws printer or see one at work, and ... looks like those problems mostly still exist, and inkjet ink is beyond expensive to throw at it.

Now, maybe they have come a long way in like the 30 years since I last owned one... but every now and then I get asked to look at an in-laws printer or see one at work, and ... looks like those problems mostly still exist, and inkjet ink is beyond expensive to throw at it.

About the same time I rescued the P2055dn in ~2014 I mentioned above I also against my better judgement grabbed an OfficeJet MFP from that same recycling bin, the first time I'd used one in many years.

It was a piece of trash. Absolutely awful. I had intended to use it for scanning and color prints only, but it was a nightmare. It was what finally convinced me to buy the color MFP laser on sale as kind of an impulse buy at MicroCenter.

So, I'd say that no, they haven't improved. :p

I've been quite happy with my brother bw laser for 7-8 years now.

What I meant is it is perfectly serviceable for the type of photos I'd print at home. For anything I would put in a frame or a photo album (do people still use those?) however, I'd use a professional printer. It' only costs a little bit and it saves a lot of headache.
The major headache is having to go out. I always prefer doing things from the comfort of my home. And for example during the holidays it might not even be an option because everything is shut. And before you say that never happens, just this last Christmas I used my printer to make a photo for my godparents who we visited on the 26th. If I had no printer it would not just have been more inconvenient, but literally impossible.
I don't disagree that they can look good when everything goes right, but if you haven't use d the printer for a while, you might have a clogged nozzle, or the printouts may otherwise turn out streaky. You can use a self cleaning routine, but that usually just consumes a ton of ink, and isn't always successful (and sometimes makes a mess)
I had my Canon IP4200 sit in a closet unused for years, and when I took it out I fully expected having to replace all cartridges and print heads in it. But to my surprise it worked fine. Getting clogged seems to be a HP feature. I say feature, because I'm not exactly sure if it's not deliberate on their part.
Once you consider everything you are spending on glossy paper, ink, (and to a lesser extent the printer itself) it is simpler and probably cheaper to just go down the block to CVS and print on their professional machines or use one of the many online services to order prints.
I don't think I purchased photo paper once in my life, my supply is from promotions and sample packages. For example last time I ordered cartridges for my printer, I got a free pack of glossy photo paper containing 50 sheets. I'll probably never have to buy paper in my lifetime.

I've checked and the closest photo shop is 10 miles from me (closed now on national holiday). Online services while not expensive, usually have a wait time of 4-5 days. I'm the kind of person who when I decide I want something I want it immediately, or at least ASAP. Knowing myself I'd rather go out and buy a printer than deal with an online service with a lead time of 4-5 days.
Inkjet printers just aren't worth the headache in my experience. I got my first one (A HP Desk Jet PLUS) in like ~1993, inheriting it from my dad (not because he died, but be cause he stopped using it). He probably bought it in 1989 when it came out.
That explains it, if your experience is with a 30 years old HP. I said so myself that I owned a HP inkjet back in the late 90s and how awful it was. However my canon printer from the 2000s is like it's from another dimension.
If you don't want photo quality and print lots of documents laser is indeed the wise choice. But even if I had to print a lot of documents, I'd rather have a laser printer and a separate inkjet for photos rather than having to defer to someone else for my photo needs.

If you don't want photo quality and print lots of documents laser is indeed the wise choice. But even if I had to print a lot of documents, I'd rather have a laser printer and a separate inkjet for photos rather than having to defer to someone else for my photo needs.

Well, I guess it really does depend on your individual desires and needs.

I haven't regularly ordered prints or printed them myself in 20 years. My parents have photo albums and framed pictures. I don't think I have a single photo print in my house. (other than the test sample from yesterday) I think I did it once for an event for my ex stepson over a decade ago, but that's the only time that comes to mind.

When I print a photo its usually for practical purposes. (drawings, instructions, something for a project, etc.)

In the odd circumstance where I needed a glossy photo print it would be much easier and cheaper to just use a professional service. Having that capability myself just doesn't make sense. It sounds like in your use case it might.

I've checked and the closest photo shop is 10 miles from me (closed now on national holiday). Online services while not expensive, usually have a wait time of 4-5 days. I'm the kind of person who when I decide I want something I want it immediately, or at least ASAP. Knowing myself I'd rather go out and buy a printer than deal with an online service with a lead time of 4-5 days.

It sounds like I am more of a planner than you are though. Before I do something I usually think about it for anywhere from days to weeks to months (or even years for some things) before I execute. I rarely just do something on short/no notice. In a circumstance where I wanted prints, it would be some sort of project I planned out before guests even arrived and had ready for them when they got there. I try to never respond to or do anything on short notice. If I were at a party or had guests over in my house and someone wanted a picture, I'd just send it to them (email or message). Everyone in my life at this point (even my parents and parents in laws who are in their 70's) are tech savvy enough for that.

That explains it, if your experience is with a 30 years old HP. I said so myself that I owned a HP inkjet back in the late 90s and how awful it was. However my canon printer from the 2000s is like it's from another dimension.

I mean they did kind of invent the technology. That and while it was my first inkjet experience, it was far from my only one (though I do admit it skews HP, but there have been a couple of Epsons in there as well, but nothing since the Ecotank era) There may have been a Canon or two back in the 90's as well, but I can't remember.

I do vaguely remember inkjet printers being better when the print heads were integrated into the ink cartridges so they were frequently replaced, but once they tried to make the print heads permanently installed int the printer, and the cartridges separate for cost savings purposes (none of which were passed to the customer, btw) things went donwhill.

The major headache is having to go out. I always prefer doing things from the comfort of my home. And for example during the holidays it might not even be an option because everything is shut. And before you say that never happens, just this last Christmas I used my printer to make a photo for my godparents who we visited on the 26th. If I had no printer it would not just have been more inconvenient, but literally impossible.

I'd rather leave my home if I get an easy finished product, over having to print, and cut things to size myself, etc. etc.

I had my Canon IP4200 sit in a closet unused for years, and when I took it out I fully expected having to replace all cartridges and print heads in it. But to my surprise it worked fine. Getting clogged seems to be a HP feature. I say feature, because I'm not exactly sure if it's not deliberate on their part.

That doesn't reflect my experience at all, but I ave never used that Canon model.

I don't think I purchased photo paper once in my life, my supply is from promotions and sample packages. For example last time I ordered cartridges for my printer, I got a free pack of glossy photo paper containing 50 sheets. I'll probably never have to buy paper in my lifetime.

I think I got a sample pack once, but I find it surprising you got so many. How do they make this business make money if they give all the stuff away? :p

Well, I guess it really does depend on your individual desires and needs.

I haven't regularly ordered prints or printed them myself in 20 years. My parents have photo albums and framed pictures. I don't think I have a single photo print in my house. (other than the test sample from yesterday) I think I did it once for an event for my ex stepson over a decade ago, but that's the only time that comes to mind.
It's not a regular thing for me either, but when I need it it's good to have it at hand. It's not a big investment. It would be also nice to have a CNC machine too, but that's beyond my means. :D
When I print a photo its usually for practical purposes. (drawings, instructions, something for a project, etc.)

In the odd circumstance where I needed a glossy photo print it would be much easier and cheaper to just use a professional service. Having that capability myself just doesn't make sense. It sounds like in your use case it might.
I have been disappointed in "professional" services too many times. Usually it just means trained chimp sitting behind a desk who presses a button. If I want something done exactly to my specs I'd better do it myself. And I'm too polite to play Karen when something is only 98% as I wanted. I usually end up cleaning things up or doing it all over again after the "pro". And of course this need not only apply to printing photos.
When I had my car stereo installed by "pros" they ended up wiring it in reverse, and another pro pinched the handsfree mic cable which I learned when I tried to answer an important call. For this latter one I ended up going back and making them redo it, because they messed up other things as well and then lied to me about it. So for me "the professional" is a last resort after I exhausted all other options.
It sounds like I am more of a planner than you are though. Before I do something I usually think about it for anywhere from days to weeks to months (or even years for some things) before I execute.
Oh, I ponder things and plan them, but when it comes to execution I want it immediately. Shops that don't offer one day shipping have no chance with me, and still I prefer ordering things that are actually on the shelf so I can pick them up right away. This might be strange but this is how I operate.
I mean they did kind of invent the technology. That and while it was my first inkjet experience, it was far from my only one (though I do admit it skews HP, but there have been a couple of Epsons in there as well, but nothing since the Ecotank era) There may have been a Canon or two back in the 90's as well, but I can't remember.
The first iteration of a technology usually never works that well. Some of my friends had first gen canon bubblejet printers and those weren't very good either. They got good with the pixma line. But HP didn't improve much. Just this last week I had to throw out almost full cartridges from an HP office printer, because it was sitting unused for a while.
I do vaguely remember inkjet printers being better when the print heads were integrated into the ink cartridges so they were frequently replaced, but once they tried to make the print heads permanently installed int the printer, and the cartridges separate for cost savings purposes (none of which were passed to the customer, btw) things went donwhill.
The IP4200 had the separate print head, and separate ink tanks for each color, but they usually ended up running out within days of each other. I never replaced the print head tho. So I did save some money on that, but really not much. It's not really a factor, I choose the IP4200 because it could print on discs and did automatic duplex printing.
I'd rather leave my home if I get an easy finished product, over having to print, and cut things to size myself, etc. etc.
As I've described my experience I'd rather do it well myself than go through the all inclusive package deal of:
Have a pro do it badly -> complain -> they improve it but it's still not as I want it -> I end up doing it myself anyway.
I think I got a sample pack once, but I find it surprising you got so many. How do they make this business make money if they give all the stuff away? :p
I also have an epson paper sampler package, but I Don't even remember owning an epson printer. Plus I think some of the paper might have been bundled with memory cards or even a digital camera. I don't recall where I got them but I got a bunch of promotional packages in various makes and sizes.

HP seems to be upset about people using its printers with cheaper, non-official ink. As highlighted by an enormous number of complaints on the "*******design" subreddit, HP has sent out a new firmware update that prevents third-party inks from being used with its printers, an indication that owners have little option but to use HP's own ink cartridges going forward. According to an HP support article, this is a security feature that was partially implemented to protect customers, although it seems to have done much more than that, having prompted outrage among what appear to be all users, some of whom insist that this isn't even legal.

See full article...
HP isn't entirely wrong. Back when I used to service printers, I saw third party and remanufactured ink and toner products cause problems with printers of all brands. A lot of that stuff is absolute crap.

HP isn't entirely wrong. Back when I used to service printers, I saw third party and remanufactured ink and toner products cause problems with printers of all brands. A lot of that stuff is absolute crap.
I'll fully agree to this as well. It's just **** when you buy a 200ish dollar printer expecting good function. Then 3 months later buy ink because you don't print much.... and now they can charge you for that. Then 3 months later have to do it again...

Where as you can have a color laser sitting to the side collecting dust and when you use it 3-5 times a year to print it just works every single **** time.

How do you compare that to inkjet? If I printed more often I'm sure the inkjets would be a better value. But their built in RMR for the manufacturer is where I draw the line. I'd rather just have OK prints with laser for pictures than worry about the printer working this time for anything I happen to want to print.

The primary reason I would even consider a new printer right now is just for full duplex color printing. Hence the one I linked further up in the thread.

I'll fully agree to this as well. It's just **** when you buy a 200ish dollar printer expecting good function. Then 3 months later buy ink because you don't print much.... and now they can charge you for that. Then 3 months later have to do it again...

Where as you can have a color laser sitting to the side collecting dust and when you use it 3-5 times a year to print it just works every single **** time.

How do you compare that to inkjet? If I printed more often I'm sure the inkjets would be a better value. But their built in RMR for the manufacturer is where I draw the line. I'd rather just have OK prints with laser for pictures than worry about the printer working this time for anything I happen to want to print.

The primary reason I would even consider a new printer right now is just for full duplex color printing. Hence the one I linked further up in the thread.
I've got a Samsung laser printer that only gets used a few times a year. I've had it for about 5 or 6 years at this point. I need to power cycle it as it doesn't always wake up when I want it to but otherwise its been perfect.

You are exactly right about inkjets. A friend uses his for business and prints a lot every day. He rarely ever has trouble with his. When I used to service printers, people were confused by the fact that a lightly used inkjet was more likely to have issues than one that was utilized in higher volume workloads. Even so, cost per page has never been good on inkjets versus laser printers in the long run.

Ironically enough, the HP MFP I was talking about died the other day while I was trying to print a few pages of tax docs. I can hear the duplexer just grinding away and it won't grab any paper. Pretty sure a gear stripped or something. Oh well, told the wife I'm getting a laser and calling it good. After what I've experienced with the tanks at my day job it'll probably be something similar to that HP M4451DN. It, and one combo pack of toner, might actually outlast us.

Ironically enough, the HP MFP I was talking about died the other day while I was trying to print a few pages of tax docs. I can hear the duplexer just grinding away and it won't grab any paper. Pretty sure a gear stripped or something. Oh well, told the wife I'm getting a laser and calling it good. After what I've experienced with the tanks at my day job it'll probably be something similar to that HP M4451DN. It, and one combo pack of toner, might actually outlast us.
Share your experience. One thing I will note about a good laser... THEY ARE FRIGGEN HEAVY.

Become a Patron!
Back