IBM Announces World’s First 2-Nanometer Chip Technology

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
ibm-2-nanometer-chip-wafer-1024x576.jpg
Image: IMB

IBM is the first company in the world to successfully develop a chip with 2-nanometer (nm) nanosheet technology. The tech giant confirmed the achievement in a press release published today, which projected that the new process would allow for 45 percent higher performance (or 75 percent lower energy use) than today’s most advanced 7 nm chips. Other benefits of 2 nm that were noted by IBM include faster laptops, higher battery life for smartphones, reduced carbon footprint of data centers, and faster object detection and reaction time in autonomous vehicles.

“The IBM innovation reflected in this new 2 nm chip is essential to the entire semiconductor and IT industry,” said Darío Gil, SVP and Director of IBM Research. “It is the product of IBM’s approach of taking on hard tech challenges and a demonstration of how breakthroughs can result from sustained...

Continue reading...

Maybe they can start making apple CPU's then and leave TSMC capacity for the rest of us peasants.

Didn't IBM sell off their foundries?

Doing a quick search - looks like they sold the production off to GloFo back in 2014. This must just be their R&D division.

This appears to be a proof of concept. Too bad GloFo doesn’t have the money to build a fab for these. They could leapfrog TSMC who are apparently still in early development for 2nm.

You got to give credit to IBM. They really do employ some intelligent people.

To be fair I've always like IBM but I was saddened to hear about that a while back.

To be fair I've always like IBM but I was saddened to hear about that a while back.

Well nothing new there, a friend of my parents worked for a huge bank, when computers were starting to be all the rage they offered staff the choice to get computer classes if they wanted to but it was not mandatory, he did it, but the others that did not do it got layed of a few years later due to lacking the necessary skills.

Become a Patron!
Back