Infinity Ward Makes 250 GB SSDs Obsolete, as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Hits 246 GB Minimum Requirement

They should totally bundle this with a SSD drive. "Get your Warzone SSD custom built so Warzone won't fill your system storage. Just plug into an available ESATA or PCI 3.1 port and run the configuration script to set up the game plugins and make it available to your blizzard library. For only 200 dollars you get the GAME and a custom designed SSD Storage. *Please note the art on the case of the SSD drive is custom. No Custom storage technology is in use.
You jest, but I would actually buy games and movies if they were distributed this way. Doesn't have to a SSD, as I could just more quickly move it to my own internal SSD than it would take over my internet connection. What are thumbsticks up to these days? 128GB? Could put most games on one of those and use a cheap platter for larger games and video. A 250GB platter is only like $15 these days, so it would be cheaper in bulk. It may be the only way we'll be able to get acceptable 8K video content in the future.

You jest, but I would actually buy games and movies if they were distributed this way. Doesn't have to a SSD, as I could just more quickly move it to my own internal SSD than it would take over my internet connection. What are thumbsticks up to these days? 128GB? Could put most games on one of those and use a cheap platter for larger games and video. A 250GB platter is only like $15 these days, so it would be cheaper in bulk. It may be the only way we'll be able to get acceptable 8K video content in the future.

Actually I'm not really joking. A high speed drive you could connect to your computer through an appropriate connection. Some external branding. And once the system ages out or the game becomes something you no longer want you can make the drive do something useful for you.

But it would need to be a high speed drive. I wouldn't want it to be JUST installation media. A base level SSD or even a M.2 card that plugs into a special PCIE card you need to get to host it. I'd be fine with that. It would advance technology a bit AND be a cool selling point to people like myself.

I mean hell imagine getting Cyberpunk 2077 on a appropriate looking M.2 drive that you can 'jack in' to the back of your computer. You run a icon in the root of the new disk and BOOM you have cyberpunk ready to go. **** man that would be pretty freakin cool to me and I would pay a premium for that... (and not tell the wife.).

Well dang, I don't have the option for just Warzone anymore, but I'm pretty sure before I bought MW I could download just Warzone without the single player or other multiple modes.

Storage space is going up to accommodate, which is good news. Maybe not as fast as I’d like, but the fact that I can get a 1TB SSD today for $100, when it wasn’t that long ago that they didn’t even exist for practical prices is progress.
Bigger issue is that there just aren't that many available NVMe slots on consumer boards, nor PCIe lanes on consumer chipsets to feed them if there were.

Which means you have to pay the same price for slower SATA drives to significantly expand storage, and that just sucks. It shouldn't affect performance too much now, but now that we have an API being implemented to take advantage of NVMe levels of bandwidth, it's a compromise that we shouldn't have to make.

ut it would need to be a high speed drive. I wouldn't want it to be JUST installation media. A base level SSD or even a M.2 card that plugs into a special PCIE card you need to get to host it. I'd be fine with that. It would advance technology a bit AND be a cool selling point to people like myself.
Thunderbolt + NVMe.

USB4 may make this potentially useful as it supplants USB3 and Thunderbolt, with economies of scale bringing down the unit cost from where Thunderbolt is today. Basic NVMe drives should already be cheaper than SATA M.2 drives as there's less translation going on in the controller, and NVMe to Thunderbolt which is just one implementation of PCIe to another and should be very straightforward.

Thinking about this:
The size of the game doesn’t really concern me. Yeah, it’s huge, but that happens as quality goes up.

Storage space is going up to accommodate, which is good news. Maybe not as fast as I’d like, but the fact that I can get a 1TB SSD today for $100, when it wasn’t that long ago that they didn’t even exist for practical prices is progress.

The thing which concerns me the most: downloading this thing. ISPs haven’t kept up on their end. I’m stuck with the nearly the same ISP speed I had back in 2000 if I want an unmetered connection. I can get 10x faster, but it comes with caps that make it unusable for getting something this large.

And I’m pretty sure this doesn’t ship on physical media :sneaky:

So the distribution is still somewhat lacking

Has quality really gone up though?

I have no problem with games utilizing more storage space if warranted, but this just seem sloppy. What could possibly be using all of that space?

What a wonderful way to make sure I never have any interest whatsoever in the game. My connection is 5 mbit downstream. Since that has to be shared with other people in the household, including a good bit of streaming, it would probably take me weeks to download that much.

Has quality really gone up though?

I have no problem with games utilizing more storage space if warranted, but this just seem sloppy. What could possibly be using all of that space?

I don't exactly remember which game it was but a couple years ago there was a game where a lot of the storage was used for audio that was not compressed so who knows.

I don't exactly remember which game it was but a couple years ago there was a game where a lot of the storage was used for audio that was not compressed so who knows.
The original Titanfall did that. The actual game was only something around 15-20GB, but it downloaded close to 40GB of audio because they forced you to download the uncompressed audio for every supported language on the PC version. That was around the time that developers started pushing the bunk explanation that decompressing audio took too many CPU cycles and negatively affected performance despite the fact that it was never an issue in the 30 years prior to that game's release.

The original Titanfall did that. The actual game was only something around 15-20GB, but it downloaded close to 40GB of audio because they forced you to download the uncompressed audio for every supported language on the PC version. That was around the time that developers started pushing the bunk explanation that decompressing audio took too many CPU cycles and negatively affected performance despite the fact that it was never an issue in the 30 years prior to that game's release.

Last time I struggled with mp3 playback (in some circumstances) was on a 90mhz Pentium using the Winplay3 Player. Not compressing audio is lunacy.

1602022964232.png

Thats insane. The game doesn't even look that great to warrant such massive install sizes.

And the graphics look the same.

I agree here LeRoy! There is no frigging way this game should take up near 250 gigs of space. Hell, you can't even install on a 250 gig drive just for that game. 250 gig drives after format is only around 225 to 235 gig.

These **** games are getting out of hand on the size.

Become a Patron!
Back