Intel's 10-Core Comet Lake-S CPU Can Draw Over 300 Watts, Says Motherboard Manufacturers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel's i9-10900/K Comet Lake-S processor will be an incredibly power hungry beast. Motherboard manufacturers have revealed that the 10-core part could draw as much as 300 watts at maximum load.

The revelation comes from a ComputerBase report claiming that motherboard manufacturers are not happy with Intel. While their Z490 products are ready to go, Intel hasn't approved them for launch.

This delay could relate to the 10-core processors' insane power demands. ComputerBase speculates that this is why none of them have been featured in notebooks.

Better live in Northern Russia if you want to keep that thing cool.

Holy crap nuggets that's a lot of power demand! Sorry just surprised me is all.

Well PSU manufacuters won't ever need to worry about a market for 1000w, or higher, PSU's at this rate.

Pass, wake me up when Intel finally have a competitive desktop CPU.

I thought Bulldozer 220w rating was insane, 300w, yep give me a Threadripper with over double the cores.

I thought Bulldozer 220w rating was insane, 300w, yep give me a Threadripper with over double the cores.

Looks like Intel is literally having its Bulldozer moment here, given the mitigation patches effectively wiped out its IPC gains over the past few generations and core for core, all of their chips run hotter than AMD's.

Nice to have you back, AMD.

Become a Patron!
Back