Lian Li Launches LANCOOL III PC Chassis

No worries. I do agree with you and Steve. I'm looking into buying metal cutting shears. Spending $20 on that isn't a problem and I've got the strength to do it. The air vent holes could actually work to my advantage.
Yea my thing is you will ruin that clean look unless you go at it with a grinder and some metal high grit sandpaper then repaint it. Sounds like a PITA though at that point might as well go custom loop then why buy the card with the AIO.

Yeah, I'd say we've found the next design step that case manufacturers need to take. For a moment I thought I'd seen some on the Lian Li page where they showed the shroud is removed. Nope. Check this out straight off the site. Oh well. For now I'm going to leave it but I'm pretty sure I'm going to mod the shroud so I can flip it but I'm in no hurry.
1658455224603.png

Yea my thing is you will ruin that clean look unless you go at it with a grinder and some metal high grit sandpaper then repaint it.
I think what I'll try to do is measure the height of the shroud and cut back that much and just fold it down to give the hoses enough clearance for a gentle bend. I've got a hunch that could work. I probably don't even need that much. You can get a good guess of the shroud height from that pic you drew the red lines on. I only need about 3-5 inches to get the clearance I need.

I just looked and the orientation of those vent holes, after the rad is flipped, are actually almost exactly parallel to the hose ports on the rad. It could actually work.

1658455830449.png

Supposedly air bubbles with eventually gather and cause issues for the pump or something.
That’s an issue no matter what orientation you are in though.

AIOs are supposed to be sealed, no bubbles - if there are bubbles the cooler is faulty no matter what orientation. Orientation may exacerbate the issue, but orienting in another way is just masking it - bubbles don’t provide cooling, they inhibit it, no matter where they are in the loop. And if they get in the pump, the pump stops pumping.

It’s why on custom loops you have expansion tanks - to allow a place for air and other gasses to collect without being in your equipment

And if they get in the pump, the pump stops pumping
I’ll go on to say - manufacturers include those pictures they do because of this. Reduced cooling is better than no cooling at all. It’s still very much an issue and should be RMAed if detected though - you shouldn’t have degraded cooling any more than you should have no cooling, but at least it (probably) won’t wreck your rig.

The way the rad is mounted is just fine, the big no no is having the block above the rad, in your situation you have most of the rad and the tubes above the card so you are fine. I'll add a Jat vid exlaining how a lot of people misinterpret Steve's vid.

I'd also add that at some point we might start seeing a different kind of case that is a bit wider to allow 2 side-by-side rads at the top. Doing so would also allow the case to be shorter so the overall footprint could be similar, just more box-like. I did look because I was concerned about this but didn't come across anything other than those cases made for dual-builds, which is too big for me. For now, this will work, and this overall design seems to be the new norm since I've now seen Corsair, Antec, and Lian Li use it and I'm sure there are many more but I'm done looking for now other than what PR pieces I come across to post.

The way the rad is mounted is just fine, the big no no is having the block above the rad, in your situation you have most of the rad and the tubes above the card so you are fine. I'll add a Jat vid exlaining how a lot of people misinterpret Steve's vid.

Thanks! I did see this vid a while back but hadn't watched it (I think that night I'd reached my limit and went to bed around the time I came across and went to bed. I've got to work on today's post right now but I'll check it out later.

I said the heck with it and installed the AL120 fans I already had (ordered some Fractal 140's but they were delayed again), and I like how it turned out in the H7 Flow case. I also forgot to let @Peter_Brosdahl know about the EVGA Powerlink 41S for the 3090Ti. I'm still on the fence with it myself, but for now it's installed.
7-22-22 -1.jpg

I said the heck with it and installed the AL120 fans I already had (ordered some Fractal 140's but they were delayed again), and I like how it turned out in the H7 Flow case. I also forgot to let @Peter_Brosdahl know about the EVGA Powerlink 41S for the 3090Ti. I'm still on the fence with it myself, but for now, it's installed.
View attachment 1778
Very nice. Just curious, does it seem like that Powerlink lets you OC any higher? That was my main interest in one. I couldn't really find any kind of consensus regarding that detail.

That NZXT is a much cleaner case. My big complaint with the Corsair is how after removing the drive bays you're left with all these holes to the back. It did come with covers for 2 of them but just having 2 would've looked even weirder so I took them off.

I was thinking about car vs pc radiator designs this morning and wondered why the PC folks decided to put both ports on the same side? For cars, they are almost all on opposite top/bottom vertical, with some variations, and opposite horizontally as well (different sides). Just a thought. I suppose if I'm feeling bored I'll google it later since I'm sure there's some kind of reasoning behind it.

Very nice. Just curious, does it seem like that Powerlink lets you OC any higher? That was my main interest in one. I couldn't really find any kind of consensus regarding that detail.

That NZXT is a much cleaner case. My big complaint with the Corsair is how after removing the drive bays you're left with all these holes to the back. It did come with covers for 2 of them but just having 2 would've looked even weirder so I took them off.

I was thinking about car vs pc radiator designs this morning and wondered why the PC folks decided to put both ports on the same side? For cars, they are almost all on opposite top/bottom vertical, with some variations, and opposite horizontally as well (different sides). Just a thought. I suppose if I'm feeling bored I'll google it later since I'm sure there's some kind of reasoning behind it.
They do make crossflow rads for PC's.

When I build my new PC I'm definitely going to use them. Simply for the fact that I can put in in-line drain off the lowest rad output. Much easier to drain the loop that way. Right now it's a royal PITA to drain my loop.

Thanks. I haven't noticed any more headroom with overclocking. Also I'm not sold on the cable management being any better either, but it isn't any worse than the supplied dongle they give you initially.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back