MSI MPG A1000G/A850G/A750G PCIE5 Power Supplies

Wait, that's +US$100 for 200W over the 1000W MSI.... oh, it's platinum instead of gold 😅
You make a laughy face but the amount of power a relative 10% difference in power draw makes can easily be the difference in a blown breaker or not.

Wait, that's +US$100 for 200W over the 1000W MSI.... oh, it's platinum instead of gold 😅
Yeah, I know but I figured in a for a penny . . .but I'm also planning that it'll be powering whatever succeeds the 4090.

You make a laughy face but the amount of power a relative 10% difference in power draw makes can easily be the difference in a blown breaker or not.
Too true. I never crunched the #s but when I went from using 2x970s and a 780 to 2x1080s I started having issues with the UPS I was using then. The same continued when I'd have my max OC settings on the Strix 2080 Ti combined with the OC settings (4.3 GHz) of the 4930K. As soon as a game pegged both the GPU and CPU the UPS got finicky and there were a couple of times it tripped the breaker.

Too true. I never crunched the #s but when I went from using 2x970s and a 780 to 2x1080s I started having issues with the UPS I was using then. The same continued when I'd have my max OC settings on the Strix 2080 Ti combined with the OC settings (4.3 GHz) of the 4930K. As soon as a game pegged both the GPU and CPU the UPS got finicky and there were a couple of times it tripped the breaker.
Investing in a platinum or titanium power supply (with a UPS in line of course. That's beyond a requirement.) Keeps your hardware healthier, reduces the load on your UPS, and keeps it healthier longer. I have a UPS I've been running for years and it is still reporting good health and keeping my power clean.

You know now that we mention UPS's.. I wonder how many with burned connectors are running a sine wave UPS. Something to keep the power clean and regular to the PC.

If you've been in DIY a while remember the IBM Deskstar drives? Those were dieing because their tolerance for dirty power was VERY low. I wonder if these cards needing so much power are causing the part of the issue because the power delivery isn't very clean.

Like J2Z who's been trying to cause a failure so much... clocking the crap out of it... over volting and everything to no avail. I wonder if he has his shop he works in on an UPS or at least Sine Wave power cleaner.. Being in Cali it would make sense.

If you've been in DIY a while remember the IBM Deskstar drives? Those were dieing because their tolerance for dirty power was VERY low. I wonder if these cards needing so much power are causing the part of the issue because the power delivery isn't very clean.
I don't remember those (could've been in the period when I checked out of tech for a few years) but I had a RANA floppy drive for my old Atari 400 that died from dirty power and I think you may, in part, be onto something. There was a blog review of the FSP PSU that I read that also heavily emphasized making sure the connectors on both ends of the cable are plugged in order to prevent damage. If you ever end up with one of these connectors you'll see what we're talking about with the less-than-assertive feeling when connecting. A click sound is no longer enough.

I don't remember those (could've been in the period when I checked out of tech for a few years) but I had a RANA floppy drive for my old Atari 400 that died from dirty power and I think you may, in part, be onto something. There was a blog review of the FSP PSU that I read that also heavily emphasized making sure the connectors on both ends of the cable are plugged in order to prevent damage. If you ever end up with one of these connectors you'll see what we're talking about with the less-than-assertive feeling when connecting. A click sound is no longer enough.
great I just hope I don't end up HEMANing that thing and breaking the card.

Well, got it installed and it seems happy. Since I had the room in the case I gave the 12VHPWR cable about 70mm straight-shot clearance on both the PSU and GPU and yes, that puppy is fully in there.

Become a Patron!
Back