Newegg Shipping EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 GPUs without Boxes

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ftw3-ultra-gaming-angled-1024x576.jpg
Image: EVGA

Managed to snag one of EVGA’s GeForce RTX 3080 variants on Newegg? You may be in for a nasty surprise. According to posts on r/NVIDIA, some customers have received their graphics cards without any kind of retail packaging (e.g., a standard box). Photos shared by one unlucky enthusiast show a GPU shipped in an anti-static/bubble-wrap bag and nothing else.

“Received 3080 from Newegg.ca, just the GPU, no retail packaging?,” reads one complaint. “This is how my card came, no box,” wrote another...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
In my 20 years of being a system builder I have never experienced such poor customer service as I have from Newegg in the last 5 years. That includes dealing with manufacturer CS as well as cable company and cell phone company CS.

I don't get it... why go through extra steps of unpacking an item, instead of just tossing the box? SMH....

This was a bulk shipment item, like a system builder would receive. It has no retail packaging, but I would expect some better protection from shipping damage, other than just a bag.
Even bulk OEM shipments are usually in a plain white cardboard box.

This is pretty sad.
Even a knucklehead like me would stop and say to myself.....I don't think this is the way to do this.
I need a supervisor.....

Sad. Sad. Sad. The ad revenue alone from all the people clicking on the site for this stuff ought to be enough to afford even a generic box. Wonder which higher-up is already banking their bonus from all this.

What... what the actual ****?! This is how they are shipping the cards?! ****ing Newegg! A once trusted site that turned to **** in the last few years. I try not to buy from them anymore, but I bought a monitor from them earlier this year, and they shipped the monitor in its own retail box, not even in a shipping box. And that retail box took some serious hits before it got to me. Luckily the monitor inside was okay. Anyways, graphics cards that cost several hundred dollars should NOT be ****ing shipped as shown. "If you’d like to return the unit for a refund, please reply to this email so we may set you up with a return and prepaid shipping label. Sadly, due to inventory constraints, we’re unable to guarantee a replacement at this time." I guess you have to think about how important the retail box is to you, and how badly you want the card. I'd be really pissed, but considering how low supply is, I think I would just keep the card, so long as it works okay. I'd like at least a partial refund though, since technically without the retail box I'm not getting everything I paid for. Does the card still come with the 2x8pin-to-12pin adapter, or any of the papers or other **** that it would normally come with in the retail box? If not, I say it's time for a partial refund.

I would simply ask for a rain check on a refund/return once they have stock in again. I would NOT let them get away with this bullshit. While I might just throw the box away I paid for that **** thing and I'm getting my dollars worth.

I've never had any issue with Newegg. I still order all my PC parts from them.

I've never had any issue with Newegg. I still order all my PC parts from them.
Good luck.

I pretty much stopped when about three years ago my order of 4 hard drives came shipped pretty much like that picture of the 3080 --- all thrown in a box, open bare drives, with some bubble wrap for flavor. No surprise all four drives failed within 30 days.

As far as getting things in retail box only this has been normal for me, monitor straight from Dell came like that, so did a printer straight from them too. Amazon has done this too. Don't think its anything wrong for newegg to do it too.
Now shoving a card with no retail box that is weird... If its not a return... Where does it come from with no retail box? Bulk what? For miners or something?

Really Newegg started going downhill more than a few years ago after some Chinese company bought them. I remember there was one winter where they were not accepting ANY returns for ANY reason, and that really pissed off a lot of people during the holidays. I'm not really sure what was up with that whole situation. When I still used Newegg, a good amount of the time I ended up buying from Amazon just cuz prices were cheaper, and with Amazon Prime family membership, shipping is also much faster and free (not to say I haven't gotten free shipping from Newegg a bunch of times). I remember when I built my current rig in 2014, I canceled an order of a bunch of fans on Newegg cuz I found them a few cents cheaper on Amazon. Yes I am that cheap. I live within range of a few MicroCenters, so of course I rely on them quite a bit too. I only buy CPUs from MicroCenter, no one else can match their CPU prices. I miss the Newegg from the early 2000s. Back then, orders were delivered early so often that if an order came on time, it was considered "late" hahahaha.
As far as getting things in retail box only this has been normal for me, monitor straight from Dell came like that, so did a printer straight from them too.
Huh, interesting. When I bought my Dell U2410 monitor direct from Dell in 2011, they shipped it in a normal shipping box. I'm definitely not a fan of shipping items just in their retail boxes.
Amazon has done this too.
Wow, I've never experienced such. Hope I never do.
Hahahaha this is perfect and an example of why I shop at Microcenter in almost every situation.
I do love me some MicroCenter.
...I would expect some better protection from shipping damage, other than just a bag.
I know right. Sheesh.

Huh, interesting. When I bought my Dell U2410 monitor direct from Dell in 2011, they shipped it in a normal shipping box. I'm definitely not a fan of shipping items just in their retail boxes.

Wow, I've never experienced such. Hope I never do.
This being the world we now live in I have to wonder if there is some algorithm saying whether or no shipping in the retail box is okay.. maybe based on location, past problems or who knows what else. Is funny how for me its pretty much normal, and for you not at all.
That being said, other things come double boxed that I am like why? I ordered some metal edging, and that came double boxed.. yeah gotta protect a 10 feet roll of metal sure. Maybe they afraid of it un winding I suppose.

Become a Patron!
Back