NVIDIA: "First AAA Game to Require Ray-Tracing GPU Will Ship in 2023"

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
According to NVIDIA researcher Morgan McGuire, 2023 will be a turning point for ray tracing. He predicts that is the year when ray-tracing GPUs will be mandatory for at least one triple-A title.

McGuire also believes that path tracing will supplant ray tracing by 2035. But for the preceding decade, games are expected to rely on a hybrid ray-tracing/rasterizing system, which will improve lighting dramatically.

In 2024, McGuire believes that a truly hybrid ray tracing/rasterizing system will be implemented in video-games. This hybrid solution will offer area light shadows, ambient occlusion, glossy reflections, rays for data structures, ray traced audio, perfect particle collisions and perfect AI visibility.

Wait just a f*CKING minute. the Gforce 256 was NOT the first GPU. Not even the first T&L GPU.

*does a google search*

**** these guys trying to re write history. they were not the first and they can eat a big ole bag of D*CKS.

Quite from Wiki below.

Fujitsu, which worked on the Sega Model 2 arcade system,[34] began working on integrating T&L into a single LSIsolution for use in home computers in 1995;[35][36] the Fujitsu Pinolite, the first 3D geometry processor for personal computers, released in 1997.[37] The first hardware T&L GPU on home video game consoles was the Nintendo 64's Reality Coprocessor, released in 1996.[38] In 1997, Mitsubishi released the 3Dpro/2MP, a fully featured GPU capable of transformation and lighting, for workstations and Windows NT desktops;[39]ATi utilized it for their FireGL 4000 graphics card, released in 1997.[40]

These Jerks need to be called to the carpet for trying to rewrite history.

No game developer is going to shoot itself in the foot and "require" real time ray-tracing when suitable fall backs exists. What nVidia is saying is that by 2023 its marketing department will have paid a single dev to force ray tracing into a game for no reason but to hurt customers. This isn't even the T&L argument because that actually provided performance improvements and huge benefits to games. This is an optional rendering path and add on that isn;t needed to make good looking games. I welcome open ray tracing technologies into the pantheon of render techniques but having it required is just stupid.

Seems silly considering how small of a benefit and how large of a performance impact raytracing actually has.

Seems like there could be much better use of all that power, maybe even rendering at a higher resolution internally and scaling it down as a better form of AA. This would probably have a muchore positive impact on image quality.

A paid for endeavour.
No company would commit suicide with such small sales without an underhand pay packet.

A paid for endeavour.
No company would commit suicide with such small sales without an underhand pay packet.

Well, they do say 2023. That's 4 years from now. For all we know all GPU's will support raytracing by then. They may not be excluding anyone at all.

Well, they do say 2023. That's 4 years from now. For all we know all GPU's will support raytracing by then. They may not be excluding anyone at all.
Most of the PC game playing world will not have updated to hardware raytracing by then, older hardware will be in circulation for at least twice as long.
Early ray tracing hardware wont fair well.
Mobile hardware will be slower to follow suit.
Who would bet that far ahead on ray tracing only hardware gaming without a guaranteed bottom line?

That timeline is stupid.

1963 was the beginning of "pervasive" computer gaming because there was a video game cooked up for machines not accessible to most people? yah.. got it.

At the same time, 3d acceleration wasn't pervasive in 1999 when quake 3 required it. Go it.

Also Pervasive home gaming didn't come about until 1985, because the millions and millions of atari consoles sold between 1977 and 1985 weren't pervasive enough.

Holy ****. It's almost as if the author of this knows nothing about the history of gaming AND doesn't know how to use a search engine.

Most of the PC game playing world will not have updated to hardware raytracing by then, older hardware will be in circulation for at least twice as long.
Early ray tracing hardware wont fair well.
Mobile hardware will be slower to follow suit.
Who would bet that far ahead on ray tracing only hardware gaming without a guaranteed bottom line?

Maybe. Times are changing.

This is the first time in my almost 30 years of building PC's I'm using a GPU older than 2 years old. During the height of the early 2000's I was on a 6 month to a year GPU upgrade cycle, and a 1-2 year CPU/motherboard upgrade cycle. Now I'm using an 8 year old CPU/Motherboard and a 3 year old GPU, so it's possible I guess.

I can totally see EA or Activision releasing a RT-required title. Some spin off or fourth-in-line title of an IP that happens to be related to a AAA game.

Provided nVidia kicks over enough cash to make it happen.

Become a Patron!
Back