NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Video Card Review

It's a good move, especially with the price drop compared to the 2080 FE. Unfortunately, outside of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, no game test shows more than a 5 fps increase, and most are showing 2-3 fps increase, without RT. With RT, the improvements are better, but performance is still pretty low overall. While the percentage increases look decent, the actual FPS increase is so small, I'm not sure it would translate to any better gameplay experience. If you thought the 2080 was overpriced, I'm not sure the 2080 Super gives enough performance boost to change that opinion, unless the AIB boards clock in at a significantly reduced price compared to the FE you reviewed.

SUPER mediocre is more like it hah :b Kidding aside I'm glad to see the price cut from the original founders addition. Perhaps by generation 3000 (Super Tis) we will be back to some semblance of price performance improvement. The kicker is that the 1080 ti was sold for really cheap in some places which just make the 2k series seem really weak.

This is the part I knew would be debated, discussed and divisions drawn. You can't look at the 2080 SUPER like it was supposed to smash RTX 2080 performance, that's not its point. It's meant to deliver slightly better than Founders Edition performance, but now $100 cheaper than the Founders Edition. So think Founders Edition without the Founders Edition price. That's the main goal.

It's not meant as an upgrade for anyone who owns RTX currently. It's for the older generation to have a newer lower priced entry-point to high-end RTX performance.

I think Brent hit the nail on the head - if this had been released initially instead of the 2080, I think a lot of us would be of a different attitude entirely regarding nVidia.

I'm also conflicted about the reporting on it being $100 cheaper... That's true, and Brent is very careful to mention that it's with respect to the FE. But the MSRP on all AIBs was equal to the current Super MSRP pricing.

FE is a large premium to pay for what amounts to a factory overclock. Doesn't seem entirely genuine to base a cost reduction based on one of the most expensive SKUs available.

AIB pricing will be important when we get to those cards and review them. Conclusions will be based on each card we review, its price, and performance and comparisons. We've got plenty of great reviews coming up.

Last edited:
I like Gamers Nexus take, (we get it Nvidia you can make a 1080ti) because its pretty true. Still its a tempting upgrade for a secondary system of mine. Loving these reviews and thinking of making this my new home now that I feel homeless on the internet.

I was looking forward to this card's release until the past few days. The 2080 did not wow me enough to drop $700+ then and the 2080 Super does not wow me enough to drop $700+ now. Looks like my GTX1080 Strix gets to join the X-Fi Titanium HD and Teac FD505 in my new build later this year.

Even with all the price reductions - I think prices are still too high. Once again Ray tracing puts the hurts on performance if max settings is the goal but do believe usable settings are there to get the benefits out of Ray Tracing. So is it worth $200 more than the 2070 Super? 10%-15% performance from each other? Anyways the one card that sticks out well is the 2080 Ti, do wish Nvidia would reduce the price and do a Super Version of that one.

Ampere, if that name is right for Nvidia next generation, 7nm wonder will definitely perk my interest. By then games will have more refined, better optimized ray tracing, more performance for ray tracing (hoping 3x+) and will be the must buy state. AMD just better get in the ball field so they can bat some, Navi looks promising but the big guns are needed, with the hope that AMD can keep up with Nvidia dust trails.

Ray Tracing is a hard thing, I never expected the first gen cards to really provide a meaningful experience in this first round of games. Both the hardware and software needs to mature. Developers need to figure out how to optimize, and the hardware needs to keep evolving. If NV's next gen is 7nm, and they can squeeze in a lot more, and faster, considering what they are able to do with efficient architectures, the next gen may be where RT really kicks off. Plus, more game development time will give developers time to figure it out.

RT has been the holy grail forever, it's not an easy thing for hardware to do in real-time. I don't envy the workload and I give props that we can even get a glimmer of it right now in real-time. It's still a bit too early, but give it time, it will get there.

I agree 100%, also appreciate Nvidia taking that hard route. If they really come through with Ampere, sign me up.

Like the 2070 Super to the 2070, this is more along the lines of what the 2080 should have been like when it launched. Awesome review, thanks. If the 2070 Super had been $100 cheaper and packed a bit more vRAM, I might been willing to bite. I know GDDR6 is expensive though. 2080 Super not grabbing me either. Might end up waiting for 2020's cards, or maybe I'll find a good deal on a 5700 XT later this year (or maybe one on a 2070 Super even). I might also just let games like Doom Eternal or Cyberpunk 2077 tell me when I need to upgrade. We shall see. Nice to see more and more of the [H] family poppin' up.

Thanks for the review. I started to see some pop up before I headed out to work this morning and browsed thru some of their threads. Glad I waited and read your review first. Much more objective about what this card is. I totally agree that this card is really aimed at someone with something older or on a considerably lesser tier level. Say a Maxwell or even 1060/1070 Pascal or pre Radeon VII. If I didn't have a 1080TI I'd consider it for my 1440p rig.

I do wonder, did you use DLSS in the reviews? I've read that in 1440p it can be pretty awful but, for me, in 4k the IQ for Metro and SOTTR seemed hard to tell apart aside from allowing the more accurate RT effects. The improvement in FPS was extremely significant which is why I wondering if you did. Either way thanks for all the testing and it looks like you got to do some more playing with Wolfenstein The New Colossus too!

I like Gamers Nexus take, (we get it Nvidia you can make a 1080ti) because its pretty true. Still its a tempting upgrade for a secondary system of mine. Loving these reviews and thinking of making this my new home now that I feel homeless on the internet.

That's been my take on the 2080 since launch. It's a 1080Ti at a higher price. Well, now it's in line with what the 1080Ti was going for, so, there's that. Still, my overclocked 1080Ti is on par with 2080 Super performance.

This generation from Nvidia leaves a lot of 1080Ti owners just not interested in upgrading. Not at 2080Ti prices.

Ray Tracing is a hard thing, I never expected the first gen cards to really provide a meaningful experience in this first round of games. Both the hardware and software needs to mature. Developers need to figure out how to optimize, and the hardware needs to keep evolving.

Came across an interview with the Nvidia's Senior VP of content and technology where he discusses some of the processes leading to this. https://forums.thefpsreview.com/thr...-ray-tracing-for-over-a-decade.589/#post-3178

That's been my take on the 2080 since launch. It's a 1080Ti at a higher price. Well, now it's in line with what the 1080Ti was going for, so, there's that. Still, my overclocked 1080Ti is on par with 2080 Super performance.

This generation from Nvidia leaves a lot of 1080Ti owners just not interested in upgrading. Not at 2080Ti prices.

Indeed. The only card worth the upgrade is the RTX 2080 Ti, but it's pricing is insane.

I'm halfway tempted to go from my aging 1080ti to the 2080 Super if for no other reason than the updated tech and halfway decent (not crazy but whatever) gains in performance.

But man, I wish the 2080Ti wasen't so stupid expensive. I just can't justify it.

I'm halfway tempted to go from my aging 1080ti to the 2080 Super if for no other reason than the updated tech and halfway decent (not crazy but whatever) gains in performance.

But man, I wish the 2080Ti wasen't so stupid expensive. I just can't justify it.

There aren't decent gains in performance over a 1080Ti. Maybe 3-5%, sometimes, over an overclocked 1080Ti. Which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's a side-grade with RTX added, which isn't really being pushed by publishers. I suspect it won't be pushed until the tech matures and AMD releases their version of ray-tracing.

There aren't decent gains in performance over a 1080Ti. Maybe 3-5%, sometimes, over an overclocked 1080Ti. Which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's a side-grade with RTX added, which isn't really being pushed by publishers. I suspect it won't be pushed until the tech matures and AMD releases their version of ray-tracing.
Also going from a 1080 Ti to 2080 Super is a downgrade in vRAM amount.

Become a Patron!
Back