NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Reportedly on Par with RTX 2080 Ti

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-flipped-1024x577.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

Moore’s Law Is Dead has “confirmed” that the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 will be nearly (or equally) as powerful as the current king, the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. This generation’s flagship performance in a cheaper, mid-tiered GPU? That sounds pretty good to us.

Assuming that this assertion pans out (we’ll find out in just a few days), prospective GeForce RTX 30 Series owners who can’t (or won’t) splurge for the expensive flagship cards will still be able to experience a relatively substantial bump in graphics performance. As we previously reported, the GeForce RTX 3070 will supposedly cost $599. That’s $600 less than what the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition debuted at back in...

Continue reading...

If this rumor turns out to be true then it would feel like throwing us a bone to look away from the massive (again rumored) price increases coming to the lineup.

We will see I suppose.

Crossing my fingers for rumored performance, decent prices, and not a paper launch 🤞

Well that would be a massive generational price cut. I don't think that was how it worked from the 10 serie to the 20 series, so this would be welcome of course.
I do have my doubts. One thing is for sure, AMD coming in so clearly after Nvidias launch will have time to hopefully position itself well.

Got some doubts on this but Big Navi could play a factor in this. If it launches at a price around the 3070, and both compete favorably with the 2080 Ti, I'd say sure. But, then again, we've been hearing rumors about the 3080 also being in that performance tier. Too many unknowns at this point and obviously many want to get the level of performance for as low of a cost as possible.

Edit: It would also be odd for NV to change up the generational performance increases. i.e. 2070~1080, 2060/1660~1070, 1070~980, etc. If true the 3070 could jump two tiers over the 2080 and 2080 Super straight to the 2080 TI's level. Not saying impossible, but definitely a bit unusual.

Well if they want the ray tracing stuff to take off, they need to improve performance pretty significantly so maybe that's the reason?

Well if they want the ray tracing stuff to take off, they need to improve performance pretty significantly so maybe that's the reason?
That is what the traversal co-processor is supposed to be for. We'll find out the deal tomorrow.

I'm excited about 2080Ti level performance for ~$500. That's the upper end of what I feel comfortable paying for a GPU. I don't really care if it's nVidia or AMD though.

I'm not keeping my hopes up though - I don't expect to see that until after AMD has played their hand and we see if/how that juggles things.

The 970 started that trend and the 1070 kept it going. The 2070 fell behind but it was a new architecture. So the 3070 keeping it back up again makes sense to me.

The 970 started that trend
Such a great card. That was back when SLI was still doing great and I had two of 'em. The whole VRAM thing didn't really affect any of the games I was playing at the time and those cards rocked in 1080P/1440P and were even able to give a taste of 4K. That was back when a pair of 970's outperformed a single 980 Ti or a pair of 980 Ti's could outperform a Titan. Good times :)

I still think they are pulling our legs and playing shenanigans with RTX performance vs normal raw performance without RT. I could see the 3070 being the equivavlent of the 2080ti in RTX performance impact, but not in "regular" performance and cuda compute.

if the 3070 is on par with a 2080ti then the 3080 and 3090 should be on another level

If this is the case, I may just hold on to my 2080 Ti a little longer. Until games start to really make my current card struggle, I don't see the reason to upgrade, but we'll see I guess.

That's on one game, but I get your point. Sure the new cards will be faster, but either way I'm holding onto the 2080Ti and would sell the 2070 Super.
I doubt other games leveraging RTX fare better.

Become a Patron!
Back