NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5090 Won’t Be Significantly More Expensive than RTX 4090, It’s Claimed

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The GeForce RTX 5090, a new flagship gaming GPU based on the Blackwell architecture that NVIDIA is expected to unveil during next year's CES event in January, will be available at a price point that's only slightly higher than the GeForce RTX 4090, an Ada-based flagship that green team launched in October 2022 with a $1,599 MSRP, according to the latest thoughts shared by kopite7kimi, an oft-quoted and seemingly reputable leaker.

See full article...

It’s always relative. The retail price will seem cheap when the scalpers get them. In relation to other things, it only takes like 5x 5090s to have an approximate value of a magic the gathering black lotus. I won’t even bother to figure out the cost relationship to high end audio gear or super sport cars.

Why is it more expensive at all? It should be exactly the same price as it is the replacement product. What nVidia just gets to increase price with every gen so by 2075 a video card is a million dollars?

Yeah I agree, and this has almost ruined the hobby for me.
Yep, this is the worst part of it for me with this next release. Things, in relation to scalping, really started getting stupid long before Covid and the supply-chain crap back when the 2080 Ti launched. I still remember contemplating getting a 2nd 1080 Ti, right before Pascal, and saw the same card Strix OC card I got for ~$700 at release going for $1500 two weeks before the 2080 Ti launched. We all know what happened with the 30 series and has happened during the 40 series.

I expect the 5090 launch to be horrible in this respect. I truly hope I'm wrong but scalping is now considered a legitimate industry with applicable taxes and even tutoring vids on YT. I had the misfortune of learning about this last weekend while researching other things. Factor in all the talk about the fabs being at max capacity and my hope is pretty much nonexistent other than hoping I'm wrong.

Unless you get lucky at launch to find one for MSRP I suspect it'll be near impossible to find one that isn't being scalped for $2500+. Even retailers are getting in on the price gouging.

So, figure 5-7 months until the craziness dies off.

I agree. It's f'ing ridiculous at this point. Oh well, pretty happy with what I got and like some others here, getting closer to calling it quits with this stuff. Gen5 upgrades and 50 series are likely it for me.

Why is it more expensive at all? It should be exactly the same price as it is the replacement product. What nVidia just gets to increase price with every gen so by 2075 a video card is a million dollars?
Because NVidia has diverted much of their production to AI cards and fab space is finite. People are willing to pay $3000 for top end cards, so that’s what the price is going to be - either A because that’s what NVidia charges, or B, because scalpers buy all the inventory and charge $3000 for cards.

Because NVidia has diverted much of their production to AI cards and fab space is finite. People are willing to pay $3000 for top end cards, so that’s what the price is going to be - either A because that’s what NVidia charges, or B, because scalpers buy all the inventory and charge $3000 for cards.
Some people might be wiling to pay 3000, but significantly less than those willing to pay 800-1000 which is the typical high end gaming bracket. I'd not be surprised if less than 10% was willing to pay 3000. Which of course nvidia doesn't care about as long as they can sell all chips.

But that is only if they don't care about anything but short term profits. Because this might permanently or at least long term damage the high and gaming market. The knock on effects can be huge on the entire gaming industry. If there are only a few lunatics with high end cards then developers might decide it is pointless to consider high end cards when developing games.

But nvidia can fall back on AI? For now. But I'm pretty confident that AI is another bubble that might last a few years, but it is not a long term strategy. As soon as investors realize that generative and large scale language models are gimmicks it will collapse like a house of cards. And nvidia will then come crawling back to gamers, but we will give them nothing but the stick unless they bring back sane pricing.

The funny part for NV and the scalpers will be if the 5090 ends up with 2 power connectors. I still have my doubts but if it does, demand for those cards will drop like a brick until folks are willing to get PSUs to support them. It'd be hilarious if scalpers have to sit on them because no one is ready for the hassle.

If so, I suppose you might be able to use a combo of one 12V connector combined with a 2 or 3 8-pin adapter but I don't if there will be complications from that. Price and this are my main concerns for these cards.

The funny part for NV and the scalpers will be if the 5090 ends up with 2 power connectors. I still have my doubts but if it does, demand for those cards will drop like a brick until folks are willing to get PSUs to support them. It'd be hilarious if scalpers have to sit on them because no one is ready for the hassle.

If so, I suppose you might be able to use a combo of one 12V connector combined with a 2 or 3 8-pin adapter but I don't if there will be complications from that. Price and this are my main concerns for these cards.
PSU connector ->PCIE 8 pin modular cable -> PCIE to 12HPWR adaptor cable -> 12VHPWR cable -> GPU connector.

What could go wrong?

Sure, and the 5090 is rumoured to be a 2 slot card, how hot is that going to run then? might be where those extra 8 pins on the new Z890 mobo's come in handy for.

Become a Patron!
Back