NVIDIA Shows Off $20,000 Microsoft Flight Simulator Rig with Full Cockpit and Three OLED TVs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-garage-microsoft-flight-simulator-rig-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA’s GeForce Garage division has spent $20,000 building what appears to be the definitive way to enjoy the world’s most popular flight sim game, Microsoft Flight Simulator. As green team detailed in a new article shared on the GeForce blog today, the appropriately named “Ultimate Flight Sim Rig” comprises not only a complete range of instrument panels and active seating but three LG CX 65-inch OLED TVs to immerse the player in 5760×1080 surround. At the heart of the system is an all-EK water cooled PC with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card.

“As if they were in a real plane, the player has a full cockpit, with Logitech’s complete range of instrument panels, switch panels and displays, all housed in a Volair Sim Avionics...

[url="https://www.thefpsreview.com/2021/03/18/nvidia-shows-off-20000-microsoft-flight-simulator-rig-with-full-cockpit-and-three-oled-tvs/"]Continue reading...

I want something like this for Forza.

I was thinking Dirt but yeah same diff. I would love one with motors that would tilt and move your seat to match in game.

I seem to recall reading from H a long time ago someone did a "cheap" rig with 3 projectors for a huge immersive image

Well, you have to reward yourself with something after supplying video cards to the masses.

Those LG's look nice

I was thinking Dirt but yeah same diff. I would love one with motors that would tilt and move your seat to match in game.

I seem to recall reading from H a long time ago someone did a "cheap" rig with 3 projectors for a huge immersive image
I've got two projectors(one 4K and a 1080P) and I keep thinking about rigging them up for a 3840x1080 setup. Our wall is around 300". Haven't done it but maybe one day. The thing is, after playing on the LG C9 and CRG9 I just don't want to give up that kind of clarity but the size/immersion could be neat. Since I've got the Strix 3090 which does have 2 x HDMI it is something I could do though.

I've got two projectors(one 4K and a 1080P) and I keep thinking about rigging them up for a 3840x1080 setup. Our wall is around 300". Haven't done it but maybe one day. The thing is, after playing on the LG C9 and CRG9 I just don't want to give up that kind of clarity but the size/immersion could be neat. Since I've got the Strix 3090 which does have 2 x HDMI it is something I could do though.

Does nvidia surround support 2 displays now? I know it didn't used to. I remember trying to get 2 monitors surround to work in games but hell that could have been 5 years ago

Does nvidia surround support 2 displays now? I know it didn't used to. I remember trying to get 2 monitors surround to work in games but hell that could have been 5 years ago
Honestly couldn't tell ya. Haven't tried so I don't really know. I occasionally see things mentioned in the driver updates but haven't really been tracking.

$20000, from nVidia, and they skimp on the GPU.
I guess even nvidia recognizes "value", a RTX3090 would give a neglible performance increase. Going from the i9 to a Ryzen 9 is probably a better choice.

I'd tried... more than five years ago to put two smaller monitors on the sides of a larger monitor and that was a definite no-go at the time.

And with wide-screen options, I have a very hard time accepting 'surround'-stitching as a reasonable solution. Pete's 49" Samsung is probably the best form-factor for this kind of gaming short of VR in my opinion.

I guess even nvidia recognizes "value", a RTX3090 would give a neglible performance increase.
Since they're not even running 4k and there's a 120Hz limit in play, almost certainly; and since fluidity and responsiveness is more important here than image quality, the hardware memory ceiling isn't likely to be an issue either.

I guess even nvidia recognizes "value", a RTX3090 would give a neglible performance increase. Going from the i9 to a Ryzen 9 is probably a better choice.
Doubtful; not because the R9 wouldn't give the i9 a run for its money, but because MS:FS seems to have not been tuned well for Zen (yet). Which really means that the software was poorly written in the first place.

There's definitely truth to the value 3080/3090 angle but a hot place will probably freeze over before an AMD product will ever get recommended from the green side of the fence but in the end, it does perform better on blue.

49" Samsung is probably the best form-factor for this kind of gaming short of VR in my opinion.
When I demo it for friends that don't do tech stuff they instantly go there. We all agree it's better than VR since you don't have to strap anything to your head. I have to give credit to David for pushing me in that direction. I'd already looked at it, dismissed it, and kept looking for the 'ultimate dream display but he pointed out how it checked most of the boxes I was looking for including a decent price. I should probably post most more screenshot but really does have a wow factor. The only thing I stopped doing is using its HDR. Just not enough zones and Windows hasn't really got it right yet, otherwise Wow!

a hot place will probably freeze over before an AMD product will ever get recommended from the green side of the fence
If AMD pulls off another IPC jump before Intel gets their fabs in order, Nvidia will probably have recommend AMD CPUs. I think you're right here in general of course. It's just that with FS, well, it's not like they have a choice!

I'd already looked at it, dismissed it, and kept looking for the 'ultimate dream display but he pointed out how it checked most of the boxes I was looking for including a decent price.
I have three major concerns myself:
  • 32:9 support in games
  • VA color consistency
  • Samsung's 'legendary' Q/C and customer support :)
Support for the wider ratio shouldn't be too bad, and Q/C seems to be getting better, but I have two VA panels on my desk that are impossible to calibrate. Samsung's latest panels are definitely much better than the 'trashy' VAs I have now, but that concern along with the 32:9 ratio had me looking more closely at the 38" LG IPS panels, and now only seriously because Dell is shipping it in a monitor now.

Of course, it's also twice the price of the CRG9 and 50% more than the Odyssey G9, and since GPUs are still scarce... I'll wait. I can steal an IPS from my wife if I need color accuracy that bad!

There's definitely truth to the value 3080/3090 angle but a hot place will probably freeze over before an AMD product will ever get recommended from the green side of the fence but in the end, it does perform better on blue.
Given that there are some gaming laptops that couple nvidia RTX gpus with Ryzen CPUs, you might want to grab a coat.

Ok I know that AMD and nVidia are direct competitors on the GPU front. But I wouldn’t exactly say that nV and Intel are snuggle buddies either.
Intel has a dGPU around the corner, they are both viciously fighting in the AI/HPC/datacenter markets, and remember when Intel wouldn’t extend nVs license to make chipsets?

Ok I know that AMD and nVidia are direct competitors on the GPU front. But I wouldn’t exactly say that nV and Intel are snuggle buddies either.
Intel has a dGPU around the corner, they are both viciously fighting in the AI/HPC/datacenter markets, and remember when Intel wouldn’t extend nVs license to make chipsets?
Remember when Nvidia made motherboards for amd cpus with top tier built in audio solutions? Did Intel kill that because of licenses and ips that crossed manufacturers?

Given that there are some gaming laptops that couple nvidia RTX gpus with Ryzen CPUs, you might want to grab a coat.
I've actually got one on pre-order but there were also some rumors a while back that Intel and NV were working to block them at one point too.

Here's the one I've got on order. ASUS ROG Strix G17 G713QR-ES96 , ETA somewhere around June. GPU performance is somewhere between a desktop RTX 2070/2080. CPU is Ryzen 9 8c/16t.

Become a Patron!
Back