NZXT’s New Liquid Coolers Have an LCD Display for Displaying Data and Animated GIFs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nzxt-kraken-z-3-cooler-animated-gif-1024x576.jpg
image: NZXT

Have you ever wanted to loop a short video from the inside of your PC? Why, of course you have.

NZXT is allowing attention-seeking enthusiasts to do just that with its new RGB all-in-one Kraken Z-3 liquid cooler series. The lineup, which comprises the Z63 (280 mm) and Z73 (360 mm), features LCD screens that can be used to not only display vital system health data, but animated GIFs as well.

That’s an arguably excessive level of bling and swagger for even the most exotic of setups, but nobody is going to deny how cool this can look with the right clips. Those who have already decked their systems out with every combination of RGB imaginable are sure to love it.

The visual customization is powered by NZXT’s PC monitoring solution, NZXT CAM. This is a free...

Continue reading...

OMG!!!! My disco lights haz a videoz...........

One question......can it stream prOn????

Reactions: _k_
OMG!!!! My disco lights haz a videoz...........

One question......can it stream prOn????

Dude you can watch pron on your CPU!

lol.. makes me think of the DLP chips from back in the day where you could watch the video on the chip itself. If you wanted to risk burning your eyes out.

What tha fuuuuuuuuuuck...
I guess frag harder disco lights weren't enough anymore.

****ing lame, just like LED's

Wasn't enough that PC's were starting to look like Christmas Trees. Now they have to look like times square?

Why for themlove of God can't we just have functionality without the bling?

Some might say, if you don't want it, just don't buy it, but that is total BS. Just like how you can't buy a motherboard without stupid lighting today, pretty soon you won't be able to buy nothing without this be crap all over it.

I wan to murder all these children and their goddamned "RGB".

I don't mind LEDs, or this screen. It's all about building your rig tastefully.

You can dress it up like a monotone Scandinavian New Age Wormwood, like a Pakistani Taxi Cab Driver, or Fourth of July.

It's your rig, do what you want. I do like a small bit of coordinated accent lighting, and I think done well it can greatly accentuate a good cabling job and otherwise clean installation. I don't think my computer needs to glow like Times Square on New Years Eve, or like my Mom's idea of a "good" Christmas tree, though.

I dunno, having the temperature displayed right on the cpu looks functional to me.

As for RGB, I do't like my pc looking like a clown vomited in my computer case, but all my stuff has it. And it's turned off. Works just fine dark.

I don't mind LEDs, or this screen. It's all about building your rig tastefully.

You can dress it up like a monotone Scandinavian New Age Wormwood, like a Pakistani Taxi Cab Driver, or Fourth of July.

It's your rig, do what you want. I do like a small bit of coordinated accent lighting, and I think done well it can greatly accentuate a good cabling job and otherwise clean installation. I don't think my computer needs to glow like Times Square on New Years Eve, or like my Mom's idea of a "good" Christmas tree, though.

While I think the gaudy lights are kind of ridiculous and I like to point and laugh, like I would with a ridiculous pimped up car, I do agree that everyone should have the choice to do whatever the hell they want with their systems.

Where I have a problem is how everything becomes a race to the bottom. I recently built a Threadripper system. I challenge you to go out and find a good workstation-styled Threadripper 3xxx motherboard. You won't be able to find one. All of them have evil spaceship styled heatsinks, ****ing racing stripes, and RGB LED's on them.

As soon as a manufacturer comes out with a new ridiculous idea like this, all of them feel the need to add them to every last product, and those of us with more sane taste lose our choice.

This is the first shot fired in the "LCD screens on every ****ing component" competition. As we speak meetings are happening in conference rooms around the PC component world where marketing hacks are in a panic demanding that engineers put little screens on every last part they sell. Just you wait.

As for RGB, I do't like my pc looking like a clown vomited in my computer case, but all my stuff has it. And it's turned off. Works just fine dark.

I get the "you can turn it off" argument. I really do, and you can, but it really is not ideal.
1.) LED's are cheap, but they are not free. They add to the cost of the product.

2.) Now the manufacturer has to develop a LED color control and management software. This adds overhead cost. Guess who is paying for it.

3.) On my Gigabyte TRX40 Aourus Master I can't turn off the RGB LED unless I install Gigabytes software on my computer. it just sits there glowing orange. I don't want their ****ty client running on my computer, stealing my personal data, consuming system resources and potentially contributing to instability.

4.) The number one rule in all engineering disciplines is "Keep it Simple, Stupid" or KISS. The best performing and, most reliable solution is going to be the one which is as simple as possible, with no aspect to the design that doesn't absolutely need to be there. A prime example is from the car industry. Mercedes used to make some of the most reliable cars the world had ever seen. Then luxurious tech features started pushing their way into the designs, and they have become less and less reliable ever since. All of the extra leads that are run to RGB LED's, control circuits, extra firmware and software needed for everything, all of this leads to more opportunities for failure and more problems. Shorts, leakage currents, noise, you name it. it's an electrical engineers nightmare.

So yes, I can "just turn it off if I don't like it", but that is a suboptimal solution. I want the parts I buy to not have any of this junk at all. I'd prefer to benefit from the savings of the parts having a smaller bill of materials, but heck, I'm even willing to pay MORE for it not to be there.

So, talking with various manufacturers at CES about the whole RGB "thing" was interesting. Most of them had a similar "bah humbug" sort of attitude towards it, yet, RGB sells so they keep including it. Now, weather it is selling because it's the desired feature or that it just happens to be included on the high sales volume SKUs... who knows. But at this point, if you're buying a TRX board, you're going to get RGB jammed down your throat simply because if you're spending that much on a board it better have RGB + kitchensink.

****ing lame, just like LED's

Wasn't enough that PC's were starting to look like Christmas Trees. Now they have to look like times square?

Why for themlove of God can't we just have functionality without the bling?

Some might say, if you don't want it, just don't buy it, but that is total BS. Just like how you can't buy a motherboard without stupid lighting today, pretty soon you won't be able to buy nothing without this be crap all over it.

I wan to murder all these children and their goddamned "RGB".
Because you can turn your mobo LEDs off.. two different product lines for a feature that you can turn on or off would just be dumb.

Isn't it strange that you can't get a non led Workstation motherboard. but my MSI board I ordered for my 3900x is LED free. ;)

So, talking with various manufacturers at CES about the whole RGB "thing" was interesting. Most of them had a similar "bah humbug" sort of attitude towards it, yet, RGB sells so they keep including it. Now, weather it is selling because it's the desired feature or that it just happens to be included on the high sales volume SKUs... who knows. But at this point, if you're buying a TRX board, you're going to get RGB jammed down your throat simply because if you're spending that much on a board it better have RGB + kitchensink.

I can't be the only person who wants high end minimalism....

In my ideal world there would be little to no on board features at all. We'd all be adding 4-5 expansion cards like we did in the good old days, truly creating custom machines that suit our needs and desires, not just picking from preconfigured motherboard light shows...

But what to I know. I guess I'm old as dirt.

In my ideal world there would be little to no on board features at all. We'd all be adding 4-5 expansion cards like we did in the good old days, truly creating custom machines that suit our needs and desires, not just picking from preconfigured motherboard light shows...

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X570-A-PRO

This is the one I just ordered because I think like you do. Sure it comes with a NIC and on board sound... that I'll disable the sound. Otherwise it's pretty minimal with good power for the CPU.

Even some 15+ years ago at the computer shop I worked at, the Abit KX7-133 was a sales dud compared to the more feature filled boards that we had from Asus, Msi, chaintech, dfi, epox, etc that sold at a premium with more features. That particular board literally had ps2, com, serial and USB ports and that was it. No sound, lan, etc.

Even some 15+ years ago at the computer shop I worked at, the Abit KX7-133 was a sales dud compared to the more feature filled boards that we had from Asus, Msi, chaintech, dfi, epox, etc that sold at a premium with more features. That particular board literally had ps2, com, serial and USB ports and that was it. No sound, lan, etc.

I would have loved it :p

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X570-A-PRO

This is the one I just ordered because I think like you do. Sure it comes with a NIC and on board sound... that I'll disable the sound. Otherwise it's pretty minimal with good power for the CPU.

Yeah, when I was considering going Ryzen 3xxx, I had my eyes on the Asus Pro WS x570 Ace. Perfectly up my alley.

I was disappointed to find they didn't make a TRX40 version of it, when I decided to go with Threadripper instead...

Become a Patron!
Back