PS4 Exclusive Ghost of Tsushima Sells 2.4M Copies in Just Three Days

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Image: Sucker Punch

Sony has had a pretty successful summer so far. Even as the launch of the PS5 looms, newly launched titles are still setting records. The latest is action RPG Ghost of Tsushima. This open-world game focuses on the adventures of Jin Sakai, one of the last samurai during the Mongol invasion.

Image: Sucker Punch

Launched on July 17th, it has sold over 2.4 million...

Continue reading...

Good on Sony for still releasing excellent software for PS4, even this late in its lifecycle. Think of how easy it would've been to bump this launch, make it a bit prettier, and launch it as a PS5 exclusive instead.

Good on Sony for still releasing excellent software for PS4, even this late in its lifecycle. Think of how easy it would've been to bump this launch, make it a bit prettier, and launch it as a PS5 exclusive instead.

Well, they get to double dip and re-sell it as a PS5 remaster in 2 years... so I bet that nets more

Man, it took Sucker Punch long enough. Their last game was a ****ing PS4 launch title, and here they finally show up again, at the end of the generation. Like you guys said though, there will no doubt be a PS5 version to help Sony rake in more cash. Seems like the game did really well. Will probably be a good while before I get to check it out though.

All these other IPs Sucker Punch has come up with have been decent distractions, but for PS5 I'd like to see some more Sly Cooper please.

Well, they get to double dip and re-sell it as a PS5 remaster in 2 years... so I bet that nets more
Man, these days we're so beyond double now. I remember telling myself I'll do it this once but never. . . .
VHS>DVD>Blu-Ray>4K and these don't include the occasional digital purchase and when/if I get around to a physical one
PS1>PS2-stopped buying consoles after that but PS5 might happen since I need a new 4K disc player
PC Games-The constant sucker punch of remasters.

The game is great. Think Far Cry meets God of War meets Bushido Blade with absolutely gorgeous visuals. Many times I was surprised a PS4 game could look this good. I don’t regret paying full price at all.

Man, these days we're so beyond double now. I remember telling myself I'll do it this once but never. . . .
VHS>DVD>Blu-Ray>4K and these don't include the occasional digital purchase and when/if I get around to a physical one
PS1>PS2-stopped buying consoles after that but PS5 might happen since I need a new 4K disc player
PC Games-The constant sucker punch of remasters.

I've purchased very few remakes or remasters of games.

Definitely the smarter choice. I've had mixed experiences with the ones I have gotten.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance-not worth it but loved the originals. Nice thing is that the 2nd one finally made it to PC. At this point, I don't even know if they ever followed up in re-adding the DLC from the originals.
Metro 2033 & LL-mixed feelings. Some performance improvements but liked the original visuals more.
RE2-Loved it, RE3-loved the visuals but the game really is just a full-priced DLC for RE2 at this point.
Bioshock 1&2-got 'em free through Steam but never went back to play.
Dead Island-Definitely a major visual upgrade and a lot of fun.
The Bards Tale(first game remaster)-Had a lot of fun replaying this one last fall. A worthy remaster that stayed true to the original.
Ghostbusters Remastered-o.k. It has some improvements, and it looks nice, and it's less buggy on modern hardware but otherwise not much different than the original. Still fun though.
Skyrim-Well at least it made it to 64-bit. Other than that I don't know what else to say.
The Witcher EE-Never played the original but did play this one for the first time back Feb. A lot of fun and a nice 90's retro feel.
The Witcher 2 EE-Just finished a replay of this a couple of months ago. Totally awesome. The original launcher gave me a lot of issues with 4K resolutions. Was finally able to play in 4K. The game looked beautiful.

Glad I held off on the latest Saints Row Remaster. Last I heard was that an update borked parts of it. I'll probably get it in the winter if the price drops more. I was looking forward to Crysis but we know that went south in a bad way but still holding out hope for it.

Only time I've bought them is if they make it to market before I get around to playing the original. If I've already played through a game, I don't see any point in revisiting it just because they increased the graphics slightly.

Only time I've bought them is if they make it to market before I get around to playing the original. If I've already played through a game, I don't see any point in revisiting it just because they increased the graphics slightly.

The best ones are more than just a minor graphics upgrade.

A lot of games you listed are iterative versions or new takes on the story taking it further. Very few of them were remasters per say. Or even given to you if you had the original versions.

REmasters don't bother me really. If I've already extracted my entertainment from the game I never bother with them. If I'm getting the game new then the remaster at least has more bug fixes and potential for better visual quality.

The best ones are more than just a minor graphics upgrade.

I'll have to take your word for it, as I've never seen it.

I can't even remember which remasters I've played right now. I definitely played the Bioshock remasters, but I never played the originals of those, so I don't know how much they differed.

I did (briefly) play the Metro Redux version years after playing the original Metro 2033, and I never noticed any difference, but I also never compared them side to side.

I guess my point though was that once you've played through a game, and you know how the story concludes, why play it again, no matter what they do? Unless it's been long enough that you've forgotten it I guess.

Remasters are great for those of us who sometimes take several years to get around to playing a title for the first time though! That's one of the reasons I was looking forward to the Crysis remaster. I still haven't gotten around to playing the original. Too bad it apparently sucked, so they delayed it for now.

Last edited:
A lot of games you listed are iterative versions or new takes on the story taking it further. Very few of them were remasters per say. Or even given to you if you had the original versions.

REmasters don't bother me really. If I've already extracted my entertainment from the game I never bother with them. If I'm getting the game new then the remaster at least has more bug fixes and potential for better visual quality.
Was going to say...

Marvel Ultimate Alliance - Just a straight rerelease for current gen consoles.
Metro Redux - Ported to console-friendly engine, arguably a downgrade.
Resident Evil 2 - Remake, not remaster.
Resident Evil 3 - Remake, not remaster.
The Bioshock Collection - Straight port from UE3 to UE4, arguably a downgrade (demaster?).
Dead Island: Definitive Edition - Actual remaster.
The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Actual remaster.
Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered - Remaster, but not a very good one.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - DirectX 11 and 64-bit added, but I wouldn't call this a remaster.
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - Just contains extra content and fixes, available as a patch for original game. Not a remaster.
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition - Just contains extra content and fixes, available as a patch for original game. Not a remaster.

If I've already played through a game, I don't see any point in revisiting it just because they increased the graphics slightly.
If I've already extracted my entertainment from the game I never bother with them.

I'm one of those people who constantly go back to replay games with new upgrades. Whether a new display, GPU, or even entirely upgraded rig, I often go back to favorites like re-reading a good book or re-watching a movie. Remasters can sometimes instigate this as well. Although as said previously, they are usually a mixed bag at best. For me, it one of the best things about DX and gaming on WIndows since compatibility stretches over years, and sometimes decades, allowing new hardware to reach performance levels you couldn't achieve before.

Was going to say...

Marvel Ultimate Alliance - Just a straight rerelease for current gen consoles.
Metro Redux - Ported to console-friendly engine, arguably a downgrade.
Resident Evil 2 - Remake, not remaster.
Resident Evil 3 - Remake, not remaster.
The Bioshock Collection - Straight port from UE3 to UE4, arguably a downgrade (demaster?).
Dead Island: Definitive Edition - Actual remaster.
The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Actual remaster.
Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered - Remaster, but not a very good one.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition - DirectX 11 and 64-bit added, but I wouldn't call this a remaster.
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - Just contains extra content and fixes, available as a patch for original game. Not a remaster.
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition - Just contains extra content and fixes, available as a patch for original game. Not a remaster.
Too true. I admittedly often blur the line with a remaster vs how they've changed it to port over to consoles.

I'll have to take your word for it, as I've never seen it.

I can't even remember which remasters I've played right now. I definitely played the Bioshock remasters, but I never played the originals of those, so I don't know how much they differed.

I did (briefly) play the Metro Redux version years after playing the original Metro 2033, and I never noticed any difference, but I also never compared them side to side.

I guess my point though was that once you e aid through a game, and you know how the story concludes, why play it again, no matter what they do? Unless it's been long enough that you've forgotten it I guess.

Remasters are great for those of us who sometimes take several years to get around to playing a title for the first time though! That's one of the reasons I was looking forward to the Crysis remaster. I still haven't gotten around to playing the original. Too bad it apparently sucked, so they delayed it for now.

Halo and Halo 2 are two of the only ones that come to mind. They kept everything the same, but ported the games to a newer engine with new models and assets. It wasn't just slightly better textures re-released for a new platform. It also wasn't a remake which was a new game vaguely modeled after an old one.

The reviews are good and it looks gorgeous. We'll see.

Good games take years to make, at least the devs got this done before PS5 launch.

I'm one of those people who constantly go back to replay games with new upgrades. Whether a new display, GPU, or even entirely upgraded rig, I often go back to favorites like re-reading a good book or re-watching a movie. Remasters can sometimes instigate this as well. Although as said previously, they are usually a mixed bag at best. For me, it one of the best things about DX and gaming on WIndows since compatibility stretches over years, and sometimes decades, allowing new hardware to reach performance levels you couldn't achieve before.

Only time I ever did this was when I - in 2012 or so - played through the original Deus Ex from 2001. I did this in large part because I had just finished Human Revolution and was craving more Deus Ex, and realized I had completely forgotten the original story.

Oh, I also replayed the original Half-Life at some point in the last 10 years (can't remember when). Funny thing is I got through that game fast and easy. I remember it being difficult back in the day. I guess that's what 60+fps can accomplish :p

Become a Patron!
Back