Report: Best Buy Has Started Removing Blu-rays and DVDs from Its Stores

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Best Buy has officially begun its process of ditching physical media, according to new reports this week that say the retailer has begun removing Blu-rays and DVDs—a format that it helped popularize during its inception in the late 1990s—from all of its retail stores across the nation.

See full article...

I stopped buying physical media for movies when the prices started going up. I remember when BDs were around $20, now I see even higher prices for them. I still depend on BDs though - for BD rips, which is how I primarily watch movies.

I can't even remember the last time I paid full price for one but once the holiday sales start I usually go nuts with getting things from them and Amazon. Their loss though because there's still money to be made and I guess my alternative may end up being Target, at least until they stop too. Honestly though, I'm shock that BB is still in business and this is probably more symptomatic of that but I also have to say that corporate, at least for our single local store, always made crap choices for the movies it stocked. I've got nothing against BB and will feel sorry for its employees if it does go under but I've got my doubts about its continued sustainability. We've easily spent well into tens of thousands throughout the last 10-15 years there but every year it drops more. However, I'm super excited they came through in getting my new laptop for me back in November.

Best Buy has officially begun its process of ditching physical media, according to new reports this week that say the retailer has begun removing Blu-rays and DVDs—a format that it helped popularize during its inception in the late 1990s—from all of its retail stores across the nation.

See full article...

I mean they started removing customers from their stores a long time ago. So why not product.

The stores I'm usually shopping at in Hungary did it years ago. Not just DVDs and Blurays*, but music as well. And the physical games section has also been consistently shrinking over the years. Now it's like one small shelf.

*Blurays barely existed in retail to begin with, way too expensive for the average person here.
I stopped buying physical media for movies when the prices started going up. I remember when BDs were around $20, now I see even higher prices for them. I still depend on BDs though - for BD rips, which is how I primarily watch movies.
I only own one BD, well technically it is not one as it is a box set of the whole BSG remake series. But even if I ever decided to re-watch the series I'd download a rip of it instead of bothering with the discs.

But even if I ever decided to re-watch the series I'd download a rip of it instead of bothering with the discs.
Yeah whenever I re-watch shows (or movies) that I have on physical media, I just grab rips, cuz I don't feel like dealing with the discs.

Become a Patron!
Back