Rumor: AMD’s “Big Navi” Sits between the GeForce RTX 3070 and RTX 3080

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-vii-standing-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

Igor Wallossek has shared new information pertaining to AMD’s upcoming Radeon RX 6000 series. According to a translation posted on r/AMD, “Big Navi” will not be able to compete with NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3090 in any way, shape, or form, but it should measure up pretty well with the GeForce RTX 3070 and GeForce RTX 3080. Actually, red team’s next flagship may even match NVIDIA’s in performance, depending on power consumption.

“The AMD part starts at about 13:40 min.,” johnieboy82 wrote. “According to him Big Navi with 275 watts is somewhere between 3070 and 3080 and possibly with more power consumption (300W+) somewhere around 3080 performance. Big Navi will not be able to attack the 3090. Take this with a...

Continue reading...

This is depressing information quite honestly. I give Igor a lot of credence as he is not some random fool. I will hold out some hope that it at least competes well with the 3080. Nvidia is just on a tear lately.

It will be great if it can compete with the 3080, but going against the 3070 would hold AMD's recent history of being one generation behind NVIDIA on the top-end. That said, the 5700 XT was a good competitor for the 2070 in price : performance, so I'm interested in seeing how "Big Navi" measures up to Ampere.

so Nvidia does not need to launch a 3080 Ti just yet if that is true

I assume it is going to be closer to 3080 than a 3070, depending how AMD will price it, it can still be competitive. If anything, AMD finally have a card that is viable 4K 60+ FPS. I do think the bigger depressing information is how late AIB partners are.

If it wasn't for the last minute price drop, 5700XT adoption rate would be much lower as it is price too close to the 2070S, but at $100 less, it is good buy.

I guess we'll all just have to wait for benchmarks......as usual.

We don't even know if 3080 Ti is a thing, but given a price gap between 700 for the 3080 and 1500 for the 3090, it does make some sense to have a product and a price that is between 3080 and 3090.

Feels like if there are any Ti/Super models introduced, they'll be used to counter Big Navi's rumored RAM size (16 GB).

I'm still holding out hope that AMD releases a RX 6700 and RX 6800 that rival RTX 3070 and RTX 3080. Could you imagine the excitement (and chaos) such a thing would bring to our little enthusiast hobby?

Hopefully big Navi has 16gb of ram and AMD's version of DLSS is respectable. Otherwise I think they're not likely to sell well.

We don't even know if 3080 Ti is a thing, but given a price gap between 700 for the 3080 and 1500 for the 3090, it does make some sense to have a product and a price that is between 3080 and 3090.

Well the price gap is not what is making this a possibility imo, more like the 2k ish difference in cuda cores leaves some room for a Ti model and ofc the addition of more vram.

I’d be perfectly ok with “between a 3070 and 3080” for $150 less than a 3080

*snuck an edit in there to fix my pricing

If it can trade blows with a 3080 for 100 less I'd be interested. But it has to be able to do that with rt on. Otherwise there is no point.

So we know nothing about navi, yet everyone wants it for cheap... I mean I understand.

So we know nothing about navi, yet everyone wants it for cheap... I mean I understand.

Remember when a xxxxti card was 800 bucks and only the titan cards were over 1k? I do.

I'd say this is very likely and its what I expected. Something slightly faster than an RTX 2080 Ti, but nothing that could remotely challenge NVIDIA's top offerings. It's been this way for awhile now.

Remember when a xxxxti card was 800 bucks and only the titan cards were over 1k? I do.
Heck, I remember when I used to think a Titan was complete overkill, and unnecessary, and that I'd never spend over $800-$1000 for a GPU. Both those ideas went out the window last time around.

Well the price gap is not what is making this a possibility imo, more like the 2k ish difference in cuda cores leaves some room for a Ti model and ofc the addition of more vram.
From what I've gathered the 3080 has 6 of 7 GPC enabled, and each GPC has at least one SM disabled. They could fully enable each of the GPC for 72 SM on a Ti compared to 68 on the 3080. Would bring the core count up to 9,216 vs. 8,704.

Become a Patron!
Back