Sales of 8K TVs Expected to Reach $5 Billion in 2021

I think they're about to hit a different version of Moore's law with display tech. It seems obvious that between a need for larger screens for better PPI ratios, lack of content, and lack of hardware support, plus factor in most people's lacking budgets while recovering from the pandemic, it sounds almost impossible these will sell that much so soon.
You would think that, but then find it currently impossible to buy any luxury tech item out on the market right now.

I think they're about to hit a different version of Moore's law with display tech. It seems obvious that between a need for larger screens for better PPI ratios, lack of content, and lack of hardware support, plus factor in most people's lacking budgets while recovering from the pandemic, it sounds almost impossible these will sell that much so soon.

Yeah I think the human eye is only capable of so much resolution input. And few of us have perfect vision to start with.

It takes an entire wall experience for 8K to shine (talking about TV / Movies, not PC desktop. I could totally find a use for 8K desktop). Will there be a 16K? Probably. But maybe we will all be wearing Doc Brown metal display visors by that point :)

You know what I mean...

1609362452810.png

Yeah I think the human eye is only capable of so much resolution input.

There are three broad aspects to human visual input:
  • The lens, focusing capabilities, and eye structure that make up the optical path to the retina
  • The retina, which converts light into optical nerve signals
  • The part of the brain which receives those optical nerve signals
We're currently at the point of trying to correct the optical path in order to make the best use of the retina. Enhancing optics and various surgeries help quite a bit, but come nowhere close to maxing out what a healthy retina is actually capable of receiving.
Which means that there's still quite a bit of potential left!

Yeah I think the human eye is only capable of so much resolution input. And few of us have perfect vision to start with.

It takes an entire wall experience for 8K to shine (talking about TV / Movies, not PC desktop. I could totally find a use for 8K desktop). Will there be a 16K? Probably. But maybe we will all be wearing Doc Brown metal display visors by that point :)

You know what I mean...

View attachment 719
I mean, a "Retina" quality display according to Apple for 8K would only need to be about 40" diagonal from a viewing distance of 6'.

I mean, a "Retina" quality display according to Apple for 8K would only need to be about 40" diagonal from a viewing distance of 6'.
Honestly I think Apple had the right idea with Retina: all the pixels you would ever need, none that you don't.

And Retina essentially establishes an approximate 'pixel angle' from the viewer's perspective, which is exactly what was needed!

You would think that, but then find it currently impossible to buy any luxury tech item out on the market right now.
I admit I've gotten my share throughout the year but 8K was never in consideration.

Well, once nice thing about 8K... it means we may see more smaller 4K panels. A rumored 83" screen at 8K could yield 4 42" 4K panels. A 65" 8K would yield 4 32" 4K panels.

So yeah, I know a lot of people say 4K isn't worth it at smaller screen sizes. I am not in that camp, I love my 4K 27" monitors and feel that's the best size for me, and would ~love~ to see some 4K OLED come in around the 27-32" size so it would fit on my desk.

I would like to have sub 50" 8k TV. I would prefer watching movies in a wide screen TV which has the same 21:9 format as the content

Maybe wait for 16K to get popular, I guess.

I would like to have sub 50" 8k TV. I would prefer watching movies in a wide screen TV which has the same 21:9 format as the content
I will say, with OLED, the black bars aren’t an issue for me. Yeah, they are still black bars, but it’s black black. It isn’t nearly as bad as it is on any other type of screen.

That said - not digging on 21:9 - hope they make one for you.

I can't even fathom what 8K content would do to my ISP overage charges.
Heck, I had to limit my streaming to 1080p on my 4K televisions just to keep from hitting the data cap.

I can't even fathom what 8K content would do to my ISP overage charges.
Heck, I had to limit my streaming to 1080p on my 4K televisions just to keep from hitting the data cap.
I forgot about the whole data angle. It's been mentioned before but usually in reference to what kind of ridiculous compression technique, and other smoke and mirrors, they'll use to stream with. Back when Disney+ started I got it right away and that was when a number of other things were streaming in 4K on Netflix/DC/Amazon. It was also the same month I put together my 3700X rig and had to re-download around 300 GB of games that certain launchers would let me just re-copy/re-validate. All that combined and I actually went over 1 TB for the month. Ended up spending something like $25 for a month to up to unlimited until I was finished but it was an eye-opener. These days we usually average around 800 GB for the month which is mostly 4K streaming and maybe 1 or 2 large game downloads plus our ISP upped the limit to 1.2 TB. Yeah, 8K is a no-go on so many levels.

I forgot about the whole data angle. It's been mentioned before but usually in reference to what kind of ridiculous compression technique, and other smoke and mirrors, they'll use to stream with. Back when Disney+ started I got it right away and that was when a number of other things were streaming in 4K on Netflix/DC/Amazon. It was also the same month I put together my 3700X rig and had to re-download around 300 GB of games that certain launchers would let me just re-copy/re-validate. All that combined and I actually went over 1 TB for the month. Ended up spending something like $25 for a month to up to unlimited until I was finished but it was an eye-opener. These days we usually average around 800 GB for the month which is mostly 4K streaming and maybe 1 or 2 large game downloads plus our ISP upped the limit to 1.2 TB. Yeah, 8K is a no-go on so many levels.

Here's my current usage. This is with 480p to 1080p streaming, depending on what we are watching. Plus a couple of game downloads.

Screenshot_20210105-093522.png

8K is definitely something that is completely infeasible, unless I want to pay about 50% more per month for unlimited data...which isn't going to happen since ISP pricing in my locale is horrendous as it is.

Here's my current usage. This is with 480p to 1080p streaming, depending on what we are watching. Plus a couple of game downloads.

View attachment 726

8K is definitely something that is completely infeasible, unless I want to pay about 50% more per month for unlimited data...which isn't going to happen since ISP pricing in my locale is horrendous as it is.
Physical media is still a thing.

Back to the idea of putting distributed data (movies here) on a flash drive or MD card - not such a bad idea. Optical media I suppose could go back to something like the size of a laserdisc, but I don’t think so....

I don’t think physical media is a bad idea at all, especially for me. I just think it’s dying quickly and, even though a lot of ISPs are lagging, that isn’t a big enough market to let physical distribution survive.

Yep and loving watching LOTR and the original Star Wars Trilogy on 4K disc over these holidays. Unfortunately most of the stuff I normally stream are series when they're first broadcast so waiting for physical doesn't usually pan out especially when they downgrade it to 1080p at release which has been very common with the DC stuff, or even worse, nothing at all.

Back to the idea of putting distributed data (movies here) on a flash drive or MD card - not such a bad idea. Optical media I suppose could go back to something like the size of a laserdisc, but I don’t think so....

I don’t think physical media is a bad idea at all, especially for me. I just think it’s dying quickly and, even though a lot of ISPs are lagging, that isn’t a big enough market to let physical distribution survive.
I have to agree on all those fronts. I've seen the trend over the last 2-4 years and it's decreasing at an astonishing rate now. Back in 2019 when I was looking for a new 4K disc player during those holidays I was shocked to only find 3-4 companies actually making them. Nothing like the heyday of DVD/Blu-Ray. I'd be happy with a drive I could back up with files tied to an ecryption/account based system.

I have to agree on all those fronts. I've seen the trend over the last 2-4 years and it's decreasing at an astonishing rate now. Back in 2019 when I was looking for a new 4K disc player during those holidays I was shocked to only find 3-4 companies actually making them. Nothing like the heyday of DVD/Blu-Ray. I'd be happy with a drive I could back up with files tied to an ecryption/account based system.
Unfortunately there is only one UHD Blu-ray drive for PC on the market and it has extremely specific hardware restrictions. I don't even know if that drive is being produced anymore. It is obviously possible to rip them for backups, though, as there are regular pirated releases and Blu-ray.com forum members are always posting technical details of UHD movie releases.

Unfortunately there is only one UHD Blu-ray drive for PC on the market and it has extremely specific hardware restrictions. I don't even know if that drive is being produced anymore. It is obviously possible to rip them for backups, though, as there are regular pirated releases and Blu-ray.com forum members are always posting technical details of UHD movie releases.

Could also be using a 4K capture card to rip.

Could also be using a 4K capture card to rip.
Are there any methods to strip the HDCP protection from the stream? I don't recall if a way was ever found to do it with the newer HDCP versions.

Become a Patron!
Back