Samsung Lists 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
samsung-980-pro-pcie-4.0-nvme-ssd-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Samsung

Samsung has launched the product page for its 980 PRO NVMe M.2 SSDs. This lineup is a pretty big deal for storage enthusiasts, as it marks the Korean giant’s first foray into PCIe 4.0 SSDs for the consumer market. Three SKUs are available: 250 GB, 500 GB, and 1 TB.

In terms of performance, Samsung claims that the switch to PCIe 4.0 has enabled speeds that are twice as fast as previous models. We’re looking at sequential reads of up to 7,000 MB/s and sequential writes of up to 5,000 MB/s for the 1 TB version, with random reads and random writes of up to 1,000K IOPS.

Samsung’s 980 PRO NVMe M.2 SSDs also feature a nickel-coated controller for thermal control. “To ensure stable performance, the 980 PRO uses nickel coating to help manage the controller’s heat...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Man... yea Dan can I do long term testing with these in 1 TB mode? Pretty please? lol. Because hot **** that's some I/O Pron right there!

I'd like to see if they significantly addressed performance on 4K transfers.
Thats the only reason I will buy another NVME SSD.

Glad other companies are finally getting into this market. Nothing against Sabrent(I love the 1 TB I've got) but I just checked for a 4 TB one yesterday on NewEgg and they were still the only ones showing, along with a $700+ price tag-ouch!

Become a Patron!
Back