Samsung Rolls Out New QD-OLED 4K TVs with Improved Color and Brightness, Starting at $1,899

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The competition between Samsung's QD-OLED TVs and LG's OLED TVs appears to be heating up. Samsung Electronics America today announced the expansion of its OLED 4K TV line with two new series, the S95C and S90C, and the latter happens to start at $1,899, a price that matches the 55-inch C3, one of LG's key OLED offerings for the year. According to a press release from Samsung, these new QD-OLED TVs are capable of delivering up to a 30% brighter picture, with more vibrant colors and contrast thanks to the company's Neural Quantum processor technology. Both series begin rolling out at retailers nationwide today and are available in 55-, 65-, and 77-inch screen sizes.

See full article...

What is "QD-OLED" again? Is that just Samsung's marketing name for their OLED?

They just had to be different?

Ugh... has to be a full Sa... ugh... Nope! I refuse... I mean... seriously... why does this panel... UGH!

Just... No!!

What is "QD-OLED" again? Is that just Samsung's marketing name for their OLED?

They just had to be different?
QD is Quantum Dot. Instead of using color filters it uses quantum dots to bend light to the desired color.

Samsung S95C and LG G3 are both going to be bright panels, it's how they produce their colors and brightness that's different. Both have their pro's and con's. The Samsung panels were brighter in 2022, but they suffered from light bleed a bit and low bitrate image processing. The LG panels were not as bright and suffered from color accuracy issues. Supposedly these 2023 displays from Samsung and LG have corrected those issues. We'll just have to wait for a side by side comparison once people get them for review.

QD is Quantum Dot. Instead of using color filters it uses quantum dots to bend light to the desired color.

Samsung S95C and LG G3 are both going to be bright panels, it's how they produce their colors and brightness that's different. Both have their pro's and con's. The Samsung panels were brighter in 2022, but they suffered from light bleed a bit and low bitrate image processing. The LG panels were not as bright and suffered from color accuracy issues. Supposedly these 2023 displays from Samsung and LG have corrected those issues. We'll just have to wait for a side by side comparison once people get them for review.

I thought the whole point of OLED was that threre was no filter or backlight? That it is all three color (RGB) mini-LED's per pixel that are responsible for both lighting and color?

I thought the whole point of OLED was that threre was no filter or backlight? That it is all three color (RGB) mini-LED's per pixel that are responsible for both lighting and color?
Taken from TechRadar.com

QD OLED vs OLED TVs: how they work​

QD-OLED is basically a combination of the high points of both OLED and QLED technology. Traditional OLED panels have been revolutionary in TV land during the last decade because of their self-emissive pixel structure; each pixel glows of its own accord when an electric current is passed through.

While LCD and LED TVs struggle with contrast because of their always-on backlights or clusters of LEDs to illuminate images, an OLED TV can produce an image that simultaneously contains both ice-white pixels and true black pixels. Cue claims of ‘infinite’ contrast from the only manufacturer of OLED panels, LG Display.

To increase their peak brightness – the tech’s slight disadvantage – LG Display created the WOLED technique; a white sub-pixel is added to the usual red-green-blue mix. It makes the image brighter, but it lacks maximum color volume in the very brightest areas of images. Crucially, it’s not something a viewer would ever notice.

QLED TVS – manufactured solely by Samsung – don’t create deep blacks like OLED does, but they are brighter thanks to their use of quantum dots. Cue brighter, and therefore more accurate, color reproduction that is ideal for HDR content.

So why not combine the two? QD-OLED displays are basically OLED displays that use a blue (because blue has the strongest light energy) self-luminescent layer that has a new film of quantum dots overlaid (in place of LG’s white sub-pixel). QD-OLED TVs are being manufactured by Samsung Display, which it describes as the world’s first RGB self-emitting quantum dot OLED display (there’s actually no official name for tech as yet).

So to answer your question. Straight OLED TV's are exactly as we thought. Each pixel is it's own source of light. But it struggles with very bright scenes and colors. LG has WOLED to help with a white subpixel to increase brightness but struggles with color reproduction. Samsung's answer is QD OLED which is a blue or different colored light that is spectrum bent via a Quantum Dot Screen of sorts that bends the light to be both brighter and more in line with the color the pixel is trying to display... I think??

Depends on the screen type.

Small AMOLED screens - the OLED is just white, and it uses color filters much like a LCD does. That isn't what's in these big TV sets though.

QD are a method to boost brightness. LG is using a micro lens array in the G-series to help boost the brightness, as well as new polarizer on the screen ("Vanta Black") to help reduce glare.

Well, I'm not sold on the idea of QD led. I liked the concept of the LED being the pixel (or at least the subpixel) without backlights or filters.

That said, it's good to have alternatives.

The smallest of these seem to be 55" though, which means they are a no-go as desktop monitors.

Well, I'm not sold on the idea of QD led. I liked the concept of the LED being the pixel (or at least the subpixel) without backlights or filters.

That said, it's good to have alternatives.

The smallest of these seem to be 55" though, which means they are a no-go as desktop monitors.

We're still a ways off from micro-LED displays being in the realm of affordable. Their smallest one is 89" and is like $60,000.

I'd say another 5 years and the tech will mature. OLED has always been a stop gap between LCD and micro LED.

I swear, is it really so hard for them to make a 31-ish UW 21:9 1440p Fanless-OLED 144Hz G-Sync? If it was even close to $1K I might order in a heartbeat. This extreme of 27 that skips to 49 and over is insane and putting two of these side-by-side is just as bad or worse.

If this were me, the minute that fan turned on, it would be packed up and returned as unsuitable for its purpose.
and I would not blame you one bit.

Think it was one of thee monitors I was looking into back then but decided against it. I know there are more around from back then, not sure they still have ones with fans these days, not looked much into monitors recently.

I think it was just the first couple of gens of GSync 144Hz 4K's that had the fans in them. I haven't seen or heard much about them since those first generation or two of monitors. The first gen were supposedly fairly annoying.

My LG 4K Gsync 144Hz monitor does not have a fan at all, but it's also about 3 or 4 years newer than the first gen Asus / Acer models that lead the market with high refresh rate 4K and had the fans.

I had no idea this was a thing to be on the lookout for. I would be pissed if I bought a screen and it was loud.
Yeah, I've read a bunch of reviews for various OLED monitors that have fans because they're needed for the G-Sync modules and the owners have said they're a bit obnoxious. It's another reason I went with the LG C2. Asus isn't the only one. If you're on the lookout for a new monitor it's something you really have to look into because the manufacturers don't always clearly indicate it has one.

Most of the LG stuff doesn't have them. I don't know how they pulled it off but it's another reason I recommend them.

I'm not satisfied with just monitors having fans. I want everything to have fans. I want my mouse to have a fan, my keyboard, my speaker system, my headset, my hard drives, my SATA SSDs, my NVMe drives, ALL my PC components. I want multiple fans on my motherboards. From now on I am only buying hardware with fans. If I grab any new PC component or peripheral and it does NOT have a fan in it, I am returning it immediately. I don't waste my money on crap. If manufacturers can't even bother to give my mouse active cooling, it's a waste of money. All these companies wasting time and money by putting RGB on everything, but that's not what we as consumers want. We want fans. Fan everywhere, on everything, all at once. The entire back of my monitor should just be one giant fan. Active cooling or GTFO. The real PC enthusiast is all about active cooling. Shiat, I wish my clothes had active cooling. Why doesn't my chair have active cooling? I should sell it or take it to the dump.

Become a Patron!
Back