Sega Considers Releasing a Dreamcast Mini

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
sega-dreamcast-console-controller-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sega

Sega’s final hurray in the console space could be making a comeback in miniature form. In an interview with Siliconera regarding future mini consoles after Game Gear Micro, creative producer Yosuke Okunari (one of Saturn’s original marketers) admitted that a Dreamcast Mini could be on the table.

“I think for the next one, we may go with a concept close to the Mega Drive Mini,” he said. “If I have to say some names, it could be an SG-1000 Mini or a Dreamcast Mini…”

A miniature of the SG-1000 Mini (Sega’s first-ever video game console) would be very cool due to its retro nature, but if we had to guess, Sega would probably go with the fan-favorite Dreamcast, which is fondly remembered to this day thanks to...

Continue reading...

I am intrigued. I would also be interested in a Saturn mini, but the Dreamcast might have better name recognition?

edit - I am still waiting for my Amiga 500 mini, dammit. And don't bring up UAE, I know about emus.

I wonder if they'd offer a special edition one that includes all the extra accessories? I know it's unlikely but I once knew someone who pretty much had them all. Don't remember what they all were but do remember seeing it spread out across a living room table.

I wonder if they'd offer a special edition one that includes all the extra accessories? I know it's unlikely but I once knew someone who pretty much had them all. Don't remember what they all were but do remember seeing it spread out across a living room table.

The new mini-console likely wouldn't utilize all the extra accessories the Dreamcast had.

Never got into the Dreamcast. I was into the PS1 and Nintendo, but never bought a mini console. Most of the included games never intrigued me enough I guess.

Would really depend on what games they include with it. The dreamcast was one of my favorite consoles. Too bad it was way ahead of it's time and not a lot of people got on board with it.

All I really want in life is Crazy Taxi with the original soundtrack. And one that looks like the Dreamcast version. I have the PC version and it doesn't look right or feel the same.

All I really want in life is Crazy Taxi with the original soundtrack. And one that looks like the Dreamcast version. I have the PC version and it doesn't look right or feel the same.
I honestly can't remember what I wanted a Dreamcast for anymore. I've tried some of the games that were originally exclusive to the console and I didn't think anything stood out as a must-have. I think even by the standards of 1999 most of those games are basic and boring.

I honestly can't remember what I wanted a Dreamcast for anymore. I've tried some of the games that were originally exclusive to the console and I didn't think anything stood out as a must-have. I think even by the standards of 1999 most of those games are basic and boring.

Well they were mostly arcade games. Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Virtua Fighter, Sega Rally, House of the Dead, etc etc all looked and played great. Looking back from today's perspective, yeah those games are a little shallow. But I will say getting drunk with friends playing light gun games like House of the Dead was a lot of fun back then. Remember this thing came out in 98-99 and what PC games looked like back then if you didn't have a Voodoo card. Then the PS2 and OG Xbox came out and kicked the DC in the balls.

Oh I almost forgot... NFL 2K was a better football game than any Madden that has ever come since (gameplay wise). We played the hell out of that.

Become a Patron!
Back