Some GeForce RTX 4080 Cards Are Sitting on Retailer Shelves despite Lower Shipments from NVIDIA

And in large part I be retailers LOVE product that doesn't consume shelf space. Just disappears as soon as it's in.

Nobody in their right mind is buying the 4080 with the 7900XTX right around the corner.
That's what I am a-fearing. I'd like to pick up a 7900xtx at msrp. Likely I am going to have to wait.

I am thinking Covid had a big part of why the last gen nv cards were able to sell, people stuck at home looking for entertainment and wanting high performance crossed with miners both being preyed on by scalpers.

I dont think we have any games where the 4080 (or equivalent) is a 'must have' yet either. Once we do things might change.

IMO the prices are just plain too high. I know inflation, tariffs, etc.

I find this so hilarious, and EXTREMELY INSULTING, for a few weeks (4090) and now for the 4080, one can clearly see what these fools are trying to do here: "hurry up and buy, only 1 left" - but these cards haven't moved in days (weeks for the 4090) or they sell just one or a couple at a time to pretend like these things are selling out fast, so the uniformed could purchased their BS! Aww-Man, just check-out these sellers' scalpers' names and locations, though! 😡
chrome_screenshot_1668982286227.png

Last edited:
I find this so hilarious, and EXTREMELY INSULTING, for a few weeks (4090) and now for the 4080, one can clearly see what these fools are trying to do here: "hurry up and buy, only 1 left" - but these cards haven't moved in days (weeks for the 4090) or they sell just one or a couple at a time to pretend like these things are selling out fast, so the uniformed could purchased their BS! Aww-Man, just check-out these sellers' scalpers' names and locations, though! 😡
View attachment 2068
That's pulled from Amazon. The place where the scalpers like to play.

Although for some reason whenever I think of scalpers I am primarily picturing eBay.
Yes I agree, but that's to be expected there I suppose. Amazon just seems to let the shady dealers in there as well to the point where I don't even consider them a viable option for graphics cards anymore.

Yes I agree, but that's to be expected there I suppose. Amazon just seems to let the shady dealers in there as well to the point where I don't even consider them a viable option for graphics cards anymore.
Agree. No accountability at all on third party sellers has made Amazon (and to the same extent Newegg) hives of scum.

Amazon just seems to let the shady dealers in there as well to the point where I don't even consider them a viable option for graphics cards anymore.
On Amazon I don't even pay attention to a listing if it doesn't say "sold by and shipped from Amazon." That sh1t is the wild west when it comes to 3rd-party sellers. Last time I bought a graphics card from Amazon was 2014, I'm guessing with the last gen of cards (and maybe the current one) there really haven't been any cards sold directly by Amazon? I wasn't paying attention too closely during these last few hectic years.

Last edited:
RE: Scalpers

Amazon: Yep!
Newegg: Yep!
ebay: Yep!
Monoprice: Yep! (I saw some interesting things there about 1-2 years ago.)
Walmart: Yep! (Same as Monoprice, during the height of the madness I saw some there too)

The bottom line is that during the pandemic a bunch of retailers opened up to "sellers" when their own sources failed. I can't fully say if Walmart and Monoprice still are but there are probably more major retailers that could be added to this list. Amazon stands out the most because of its popularity but it is far from the only one.

Still don't get the complaint about scalpers. How does a vendor determine whether a buyer is a 'user' or a 'scalper'?

Reality is that demand was far higher than supply. Price should have been raised until retail inventory could be maintained; even better would have been a revenue sharing agreement between all involved partners (AMD/Nvidia, AIC partners, retailers) for when demand prompts higher than MSRP pricing. Share the love, fack the scalpers, and keep cards available.

Note: there is no solution for rabid demand aside from higher prices if production cannot be increased. If demand goes up, you either pay more or you go without.

This is true but I suspect the supply is being manipulated: either from mining or by the manufacturer itself
Sure, that is their prerogative. No company is obligated to produce enough to satiate demand and warrant lower prices, though they may be penalized by shareholders for doing so if such a move limits earnings.

Sure, that is their prerogative. No company is obligated to produce enough to satiate demand and warrant lower prices, though they may be penalized by shareholders for doing so if such a move limits earnings.
Well, MSRP is set assuming a level of demand and supply and the margin the company wishes to make. I suspect they go beyond that and it has the side effect of driving prices up beyond MSRP - Nintendo does this as well. The illusion of scarcity seems to be quite valuable.

Just like was posted above “Only 1 remaining - act fast!”

Monoprice: Yep! (I saw some interesting things there about 1-2 years ago.)
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

The bottom line is that during the pandemic a bunch of retailers opened up to "sellers" when their own sources failed. I can't fully say if Walmart and Monoprice still are but there are probably more major retailers that could be added to this list.
Wow, I did NOT know that!

As long as they are clearly idenfiable and easily filterable, I don't mind 3rd party sellers too much. I use them very very rarely. Walmart still has them. Typically they are very overpriced.. I am sure those are many of the a holes that buy in retail cases of for example chickfil-a Polynesian sauce and lists them for 17$ a bottle, probably looking more for sales in other countries ( its the only way I can make sense of these), or confused people in the usa.

It's just ****ty that it has taken their products being extremely overpriced for us to get to normal, but this is normal.
This is not normal, normal would be abundant supply meeting market demand. There is no market demand at this price point, which makes it appear to the superficial observer that everything is fine, when it is far from it.

Something that I was thinking about this morning that NV was probably banking on. With Ampere, the 3080 was considered, at MSRP, a great deal by many professional reviewers with its price vs perf points versus the previous 2080 Ti or even a 3090. None of that has real relevance with the 4080 but yet somehow, I think someone was hoping that customers who bought 3080s would jump right in without noticing.

Something that I was thinking about this morning that NV was probably banking on. With Ampere, the 3080 was considered, at MSRP, a great deal by many professional reviewers with its price vs perf points versus the previous 2080 Ti or even a 3090. None of that has real relevance with the 4080 but yet somehow, I think someone was hoping that customers who bought 3080s would jump right in without noticing.
Yeah, I agree. It’s like nVidia saw what the 3080 and 3090s were selling for in a scalpers market and ran with that - but part of that equation is that the price / performance ratio gets better, not just the performance side of that.

Yeah, vs a 3080 the 4080 performance is great, but against the (non scalped MSRP) price it isn’t that good… that ratio that most use to define “value” isn’t there

Become a Patron!
Back