Some GeForce RTX 4090 Graphics Cards Are Recommending a 1,200-Watt Power Supply

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Enthusiasts who plan to upgrade to NVIDIA's new flagship gaming GPU may need a stronger-than-expected power supply based on a roundup of wattage requirements that's been shared online.

Go to post

Makes me wonder what the total power draw of the Threadripper 3960x + 4090 + 24 fans + 3 D5 pumps will be...

:p

Good thing I just got a new 1300W then

It reminds me of the good ole SLI/CrossFireX days, and my room going dark after tripping the breaker

Three moves ago I rented a room in a house in which the gods of electricity decided that I could choose two of three of computer, air conditioner and iron. Any two would work, but three at the same time was too much.

Personally I'm less concerned about tripping the breaker these days. I can just run another 20amp circuit if I have to.

Its expelling all of that heat I am concerned about. And I am not talking out of the case. I'm talking out of the room.

Even with my current 6900xt (which granted, I have turned up to use as much as 430w) I can sit in my office, in the dead of winter, -20°F out, with the heat in my office turned off and still be uncomfortably hot after a game session has been going for a while.

And it only gets worse in the summer.

Three moves ago I rented a room in a house in which the gods of electricity decided that I could choose two of three of computer, air conditioner and iron. Any two would work, but three at the same time was too much.

Personally I'm less concerned about tripping the breaker these days. I can just run another 20amp circuit if I have to.

Its expelling all of that heat I am concerned about. And I am not talking out of the case. I'm talking out of the room.

Even with my current 6900xt (which granted, I have turned up to use as much as 430w) I can sit in my office, in the dead of winter, -20°F out, with the heat in my office turned off and still be uncomfortably hot after a game session has been going for a while.

I had a similar heat problem when I went back to running folding at home and Boinc 24x7x365. Had to turn the 5950 to 65w and set the 3080ti to 85% power target to keep the heat down. On the plus side, Turning down the power really has minimal impact on gaming and folding from stock. I wonder if the 4090 is on the wrong side of the voltage curve and would save lots of power (and heat) by backing off 15-20%

Something I've just discovered about systems with high power draw requirements ...

Sure you may need a high wattage power supply to support the CPU, GPU, and other peripherals, but make sure your UPS (assuming you have one) has enough capacity to output the power draw. I recently discovered that my 1200VA UPS goes on alert when I ask my new 1600w power supply and 3090ti to ramp up for gaming, and that is just with the power supply cord as the only output plugged into it - no monitors or other external peripherals. I've bypassed the UPS for now, but will need to look into getting a bigger one.

Something I've just discovered about systems with high power draw requirements ...

Sure you may need a high wattage power supply to support the CPU, GPU, and other peripherals, but make sure your UPS (assuming you have one) has enough capacity to output the power draw. I recently discovered that my 1200VA UPS goes on alert when I ask my new 1600w power supply and 3090ti to ramp up for gaming, and that is just with the power supply cord as the only output plugged into it - no monitors or other external peripherals. I've bypassed the UPS for now, but will need to look into getting a bigger one.
You know you're right, I use line conditioners with active voltage regulation on every PC, and the one I just put the new 1300W PSU on, which is my GPU test bench, maxes out at 1200W, hasn't caused a problem yet, but I do have the monitor, and computer plugged into it.

https://www.tripplite.com/1200w-120...tion-avr-ac-surge-protection-4-outlets~LC1200

You know you're right, I use line conditioners with active voltage regulation on every PC, and the one I just put the new 1300W PSU on, which is my GPU test bench, maxes out at 1200W, hasn't caused a problem yet, but I do have the monitor, and computer plugged into it.

https://www.tripplite.com/1200w-120...tion-avr-ac-surge-protection-4-outlets~LC1200
As an added thought at these higher wattage levels the efficiency of the power supply becomes more and more critical.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!!!!!!

Sure you may need a high wattage power supply to support the CPU, GPU, and other peripherals, but make sure your UPS (assuming you have one) has enough capacity to output the power draw.
The last time I got a new graphics card (back in 2019) I also had to get a new UPS. My PSU can output 850W but my UPS at the time could only handle 600W, which was fine because my power usage was in the 500W range. But after I got a new GPU I was going well past 600W, so I got a new UPS that could handle 900W.

It reminds me of the good ole SLI/CrossFireX days, and my room going dark after tripping the breaker
Exactly the same here but also throwing in a 7.1 500-watt receiver plus however much power my various 65" TVs pulled. I thought that Mass Effect Andromeda with 2x1080s and the OC'd 4930K was going to be the death of my UPS. It got to the point where all the other equipment was on other UPS' and the computer exclusively on another with an extension cord running to another room on another circuit.

I balance strategies with this as well. In the cave, during the summer, AC is a must and even with it I can't close the room door. I often joked how I used to put steaks in a container on top of my old HAF cases to defrost while gaming. I've done the same with bacon as well.

In the living room, it isn't as bad since that room is much larger and with more air vents.

In the winter, lol, I regularly open the windows in the cave and close the air vent and door in there to prevent the house heat from coming in. Back in the living room, which usually has the most powerful rig these days, I'll occasionally open the windows and back door (our living room is weird, the front door and back door are on the same wall but we have a full screen on the back) and then turn on all my max OC settings for kicks. I'm looking forward to trying that with the 3090 Ti AIO soon and seeing how close to 2200 MHz I can get it. I have seen very brief spikes upwards of 2175 but they were for split seconds.

This is getting a little silly with the power requirements.

Pretty soon we will need giant monster PSUs to keep up. The Cisco UCS blade chassis we use at work have FOUR 2500w power supplies. They are about 2 feet long and weigh 15ish pounds each. I don't want that in my house. Also my 1960's wiring and breakers probably couldn't keep up.

Back when we used to do LAN parties at my friends house, in addition to your PC rig, everyone had to bring a super long extension cord (think like for yard work/weed eater). We had to snake them all over the house to get power from different rooms otherwise we would trip the breakers every 15-20 minutes during gaming.

I think it's a little silly that so many PSUs are made so poorly that you need to nearly double the output wattage rating in order to have it run stable.

We had to snake them all over the house to get power from different rooms otherwise we would trip the breakers every 15-20 minutes during gaming.
At the homes where we used to have LANParties, we tripped the breakers enough times to know which outlets were on which breakers, and we would spread the computers out to get even power distribution across the room. Ah, those were the days. The days when we used to snake Ethernet cables throughout houses, or out windows and down the sides of houses.

Become a Patron!
Back