Sony Axes Spider-Man Deal with Disney: Web-Slinger Nixed from Marvel Cinematic Universe

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
A great way to piss off Marvel aficionados is to strip them of a fan favorite from appearing in any future MCU movies, and Sony has done just that. The studio has reclaimed its stake with everyone's favorite web slinger due to a financial disagreement with Disney.

Due to the success of Spider-Man: Far From Home, which grossed over a billion dollars worldwide, the mouse decided to try its luck at a 50/50 co-financing arrangement. Sony didn't like that idea at all and decided to terminate the relationship entirely, recouping full creative control of the character.

Disney darling and MCU head architect Kevin Feige will no longer have any input. Sony has managed to score some recent hits (e.g., Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse, Venom) without his sage advice, however.

This comes at a moment when the last two films Kevin Feige produced broke all-time records — Disney’s Avengers: Endgame became the highest grossing film of all time, and Spider-Man: Far From Home this week surpassed the James Bond film Skyfall to become the all time highest grossing film for Sony Pictures.

Yeah that is going to make a lot of people mad (myself included) seeing as he's one of the most popular Marvel characters ever.

Guess we're back to bad Spider-man movies again.

And it really seemed like Spider-man was going to be one of the 'pillar characters' of the next MCU wave.

I wonder if the MCU will push the X-Men reboot faster now.

So this will be like the 4th reboot coming up?

Well the contract was up or close to it so either way this was probably going to happen. It was fun while it lasted. Kind of had a feeling something was up when Disney didn't do their usual cartoon series to accompany Far from Home. In recent years they've had some kind of animated inclusion of whatever characters were current in the theaters on the Disney Channel. I noticed his stuff pretty much stopped over a year ago.
I wonder if the MCU will push the X-Men reboot faster now.

Anything is possible. I was reading a story the other day how the Russo's are in early stages trying to plan a Silver Surfer movie.

I hope they go for the reboot. I thought Holland was great as Spider-Man, but to see that character be stripped from the MCU and need to have a separate universe - I dunno, it'd be really jarring.

Cool to hear about Silver Surfer, would love to see the Fantastic Four and Dr Doom get the film adaptation they deserve.

Honestly Marvel needs to sit back another year or two before starting the hype on another xmen movie. They need to find someone that makes Hugh Jackman proud to take the reigns of wolverine again.

We need a colossus that can act and be a badass.

Cyclopse needs to kick butt and not be too much of a goody too shoes. (He was in the comics I know but he needs to branch out a bit.)

Jean Grey we need to abandon the whole turns on her friends and kills xmen story. Yea I know it was great in the comics but we are so past that and the story has been told too many times.

Sentinals, outer space invasion that the xmen have to help handle. That sort of thing... something big that Disney can afford to invest in with some key cast members that can really help carry a new MCU. Otherwise you're already done and it's just another xmen reboot that nobody cares about.

Same **** thing with spiderman. Sony is screwing this up.... but considering there are billions of dollars involved I see them coming to an agreement.

Sony is making the right call based on the bad deal they were getting.
Hopefully both sides work it out.

I hope they go for the reboot. I thought Holland was great as Spider-Man, but to see that character be stripped from the MCU and need to have a separate universe - I dunno, it'd be really jarring.

Cool to hear about Silver Surfer, would love to see the Fantastic Four and Dr Doom get the film adaptation they deserve.
A graphic novel I've always wanted to see made into a movie was Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom- Triumph and Torment. Hoping someone credible is approaching Feige to do it. Sad thing is that so many people don't get how to do Doom. A surprisingly complex character when properly written.

I think I'm one of the only people in the world that liked the Garfield version of Spiderman and wouldn't mind more movies from that universe.

Another good think could be that Sony may not try cramming the SJW agenda down our throats like Disney does on all their movies now. It would be great to watch a movie without politics all through it.

I think I'm one of the only people in the world that liked the Garfield version of Spiderman and wouldn't mind more movies from that universe.
We liked 'em, except for goth pete but then again S3 had so many other issues. Word from Raimi, though, was that is was Sony's meddling in that movie that led to the convoluted mess it became. S2 directors cut will always be one of my favorites.

I'm with you there. As lostin3d basically said, if there is too much meddling from outside sources it can ruin things pretty quick.

Word had it that Garfield pretty much got himself cut from the movies. Didn't show up to the promo events or some such. Once rumors got out that Disney really was working on a deal then his tune started to change but too little too tale. Wasn't much different with the Macguire/Raimi team either. By that 3rd movie most of the cast wasn't speaking very positively about the future of franchise.

Yeah Garfield seemed to screw himself out of that deal and I hate it cause he was convincing as Spiderman. I hate that they killed off Gwen so fast too because Garfield and the chick that played her had really good chemistry and really were fun to watch together.

Yeah Garfield seemed to screw himself out of that deal and I hate it cause he was convincing as Spiderman. I hate that they killed off Gwen so fast too because Garfield and the chick that played her had really good chemistry and really were fun to watch together.
They really messed that up. That story took years to build to in the comics and definitely deserved more than the 30 minutes or so they crammed it into with the 2nd movie. Re-watched the first one last night and such a great addition to it all. Finally had a decent Lizard story and could really feel something from all the core characters.

Become a Patron!
Back