Sony Removes Cyberpunk 2077 from PlayStation Store, Promising Full Refunds for Disastrous Port

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
cyberpunk-2077-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: CD PROJEKT RED

It appears that Cyberpunk 2077 is officially a PR disaster for CD PROJEKT RED. Sony has decided to remove the game from the PlayStation Store completely and agreed to offer full refunds to any gamers who got suckered into purchasing the sloppy, bug-ridden port. The decision was presumably made because Sony’s support staff was being swamped by refund requests.

“SIE strives to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction, therefore we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store,” a landing page for Cyberpunk 2077 refunds reads. “SIE will also be removing Cyberpunk 2077 from PlayStation Store until further...

Continue reading...

Wow! It just keeps getting worse with this. I think I'm gonna have to take some time this weekend and search for some YT vids of it all. PC was version is far from horrible but I can barely imagine what's going on with PS4.

Wow! It just keeps getting worse with this. I think I'm gonna have to take some time this weekend and search for some YT vids of it all. PC was version is far from horrible but I can barely imagine what's going on with PS4.

Do you guys like your framerates to be in the teens and twenties? Do you like having games freeze up for a full minute? ****ty textures and a great deal of texture/object pop-in? CP2077 on last-gen consoles is the game for you.

Last-gen versions of the game fare better on the 9th-gen consoles though:

Do you guys like your framerates to be in the teens and twenties? Do you like having games freeze up for a full minute? ****ty textures and a great deal of texture/object pop-in? CP2077 on last-gen consoles is the game for you.

Last-gen versions of the game fare better on the 9th-gen consoles though:
Thanks! I'll have to watch these later.

My friend was watching the videos for PS4 XBOX-One, it was pretty awful.

Gee......
flip this over.
How many total $hit console ports have come to PC?
How many times has that happened.
Turn the tables and the world has a fit.
It's comparable to trying to run this game on a Core2Duo PC with a GTX 980 GPU
I can't see what the fuss is......sooner or later you have to upgrade you stuff.

The fuss is about not delivering after 8? Years .
There's plenty to power to deliver a beautiful game in the PS4.
Call it a potato all you want, its zero excuses, they didn't deliver.

I tried googling to see if Sony had ever done this before, to my knowledge they haven't pulled a game for being buggy/broken. But all I get are Cyberpunk links...

But ya sh!t certainly just got real if Sony is refusing to sell it.

It makes Sony (and MS for that matter) look bad because they have to certify everything that can play on their consoles. Surprised they allowed it through in the first place.

It makes Sony (and MS for that matter) look bad because they have to certify everything that can play on their consoles. Surprised they allowed it through in the first place.
I used to work for a freelance QA game/software testing company. Of course we tested a lot of console games. You'd be surprised at how many games ship with issues that cause them to fail certification. Especially for big-name games, Microsoft and Sony will often waive cert-failing issues, and allow the games to pass, just so the games can get out the door, and help contribute to console sales. Seen it happen too many times with Bethesda/Zenimax games, for example. Sometimes people think that QA teams end up missing bugs, but often the case is that the bugs are indeed found and reported, but upper-management tends to be like "eh, f*ck it, just ship it" and purposefully won't allow those bugs to be fixed until waaaaaaay later (if they ever get fixed at all). So you have both the publisher/developer's upper management and the console manufacturers just allowing games to go right on through while in a horrible state. My guess is that Sony and Microsoft waived the sh1t outta CP2077 and let it through cert, especially since it's a big holiday release. I know they are not surprised by the state of the game on their systems, because they had to have seen the game when it was submitted for certification testing on their systems. If you ask me, Sony and Microsoft are just as much to blame as CDPR for letting the PS4 and XB1 versions of the game out into the wild.

I'm sorry next time cdpr wants to make a next Gen bad *** game they should just leave consoles out of it. Think the complaints would be worse? Maybe give them a console port in a year or two as they work on it as they can.

Obviously CDPR bit more than they could chew with the console releases. Up until now things pretty much went to PC first and, maybe, made their way t console. I have a feeling someone at the top thought since both Xbox and Playstation both used similar PC-style parts that porting would be easy. Lesson learned that it's still a reach. Doesn't help when those custom chips each have their own locked in OS's and other customizations. Factor in different gens and specs and it becomes a locked-down mess. I still have faith in CDPR but I'm bummed they had to go through this as well as those who were expecting something they didn't get. I don't think the PC release was horrible, not perfect, but obviously, the console versions were hurting.

I tried googling to see if Sony had ever done this before, to my knowledge they haven't pulled a game for being buggy/broken. But all I get are Cyberpunk links...

But ya sh!t certainly just got real if Sony is refusing to sell it.
I'll have to look and probably experience the same search engine backwash as you, but I seem to remember something getting yanked in the last year or two.

Wow.

Did they port it themselves, or use a third party?
Good question. Back when Witcher 3 remastered was mentioned another company was listed for their console ports. I seem to remember doing stories on the same for some mobile witcher games as well.

Become a Patron!
Back